Topic: How to automatic driver install ?

Hello

I hope this is the right forum for a Windows xp question

When Windows detects new hardware (be it graphic card or USB Peripheral) it automatically installs driver and if it can't find a driver it shows "Found New hardware wizard" that allows you to manually select a driver.

My problem is that this "Found New hardware wizard" shows up every time when I plug a new device and I have to click Next Next Next.. until it finishes installation. It's just like in Windows 98 wink I want to fix it to the way it's supposed to be.

It's got nothing to do with "Windows Update" and "Driver Signing" settings in "System properties -> Hardware" tab, those are on default settings.

Thanks for any help or hints.

Re: How to automatic driver install ?

It's supposed to come up when you plug in new hardware, that is what it does.
Not sure what the question is here? It's working correctly... but you want to fix it? wink

Perhaps you mean KTD (Keep The Driver). That is useful for like monitors and HID, and a few years ago Modem packs. KTD only works for really simple driver types. KTD can be selected when you slipstream the DriverPacks. It's possible to do KTD post install but you will have to do a little dance. KTD never worked very well, (read) there may be no fix tongue.

please be more clear / specific for a better answer

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thank you.

My goal is to see the drivers being installed without any user input.

again vague, no details or examples, no logs, no HWIDs, no drivers mentioned, no OS version (SP3, MCE, Pro) no description of your process or environment or application. is this one PC or many, how many. During install, post install. is this a machine you are attempting to repair?

so here is an answer befitting your question.

yes you can install some (not all, not even most, just some... a few, ... depending) drivers with no user input, as described in my last post.

NO you CAN'T make a windows install that you can just plug anything you want into it and it won't ask for a driver. NO you must do something (driver install like SAD) post install of most core hardware.

pre - during install
1=If driverpacks has been added to your install media and you install clean you won't see any driver prompts. big_smile.

post install
1-extend windows native support KTD only works with very simple drivers, IE monitor drivers. It will FAIL with any driver that requires an installer (video), and will fail with most drivers that are more than a simple INF/SYS file arrangment

2-Run SAD after hardware upgrade

or stop wasting my time and ask a question with a specific problem
(The specific OS, the specific device and it's HWID, a link to the driver for that device, the versions of everything and a description of how to duplicate the issue. I think that last one you got half right)

I could ask you "I have a truck that gets ten miles to the gallon, can you tell me how much gas is in the tank?"
you could probably guess that it's not much, but telling me "Not Much" isn't a useful answer is it. but it's the best answer you got for me with the details i provided ain't it.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Did you use DriverPacks BASE for this XP install?  If not, then please do that.  When you do, then enable "KTD" option.  This will "Keep The Drivers" in the XP system so that future hardware MAY be installed without user interaction, though there's no guarantee.
Some hardware works with KTD, most do not though.

If you DID use DriverPacks BASE, please post your log files (instructions in the Read BEFORE you post. link in our signatures.)

Jeff (Overflow) is right.  We can't help you without specifics.  Tell us what you did and how you did it and what the specific problem is.  Can we duplicate your problem from the info you provided? No.
Help us help you.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I note this effect too for some hardware combinations.
Didn't think it was an "issue" though, more of a minor "annoyance".

Details would be very helpful, as both OverFlow & mr_smartepants have dutifully noted.

However; once the new device has it's driver installed, then device removed, then plugged into another port, it should simply auto-install the driver.

Note that i only use DPs_BASE to integrate the main driver packs, including MassStorage on a clean and (mostly) untouched xp source before testing.
Since this works for me, it should also be possible for you to repeat such success.

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-08 17:20:51)

Thank you all for your helpfull replies. Here are examples of what I get (the 2 last pictures) :

(sorry for some information is in french but I can always translate if needed)

Nom du système : HP-887EE39FD066
[Résumé système]

Élément    Valeur   
Système d'exploitation    Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel   
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Nu 2600   
Éditeur    Microsoft Corporation   
Ordinateur    HP-887EE39FD066   
Fabricant    Hewlett-Packard   
Modèle    HP d530 CMT(DC577AV)   
Type    PC à base X86   
Processeur    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz   
Version du BIOS/Date    Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v1.11, 10/07/2003   
Version SMBIOS    2.3   
Répertoire Windows    C:\WINDOWS   
Répertoire système    C:\WINDOWS\system32   
Périphérique de démarrage    \Device\HarddiskVolume1   
Option régionale    France   
Couche d'abstraction matérielle    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"   
Utilisateur    HP-887EE39FD066\HP   
Fuseaux horaires    Greenwich   
Mémoire physique totale    512,50 Mo   
Mémoire physique disponible    314,59 Mo   
Mémoire virtuelle totale    2,00 Go   
Mémoire virtuelle disponible    1,96 Go   
Espace pour le fichier d'échange    1,20 Go   
Fichier d'échange    C:\pagefile.sys   

Bonjour, monsieur CyberHaddad.
No need to translate, and no need to apologize for the usage of French or any other language.

It would appear the Graphics driver you are attempting to install is not properly WHQL signed.

In the DP_Graphics_D_wnt5_x86-32_1409241.7z "nightly", that driver is contained in D\G\I\c\, and yes it would appear the ialmnt5.inf has been modified in October of 2008 to coexist with other drivers in the pack.

[Intel.Mfg]
; %iMGM%  = i852GM,  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3582
%iSDG%	 = i865G, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572
; %iGDGD0% = i915G0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582
; %iGDGD1% = i915G1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2782
; %iALVD0% = i915GM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592
; %iALVD1% = i915GM1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2792
; %iLPGD0% = i945G0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772
; %iLPGD1% = i945G1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2776

iSDG          = "Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller"

However; it would appear that nobody backed up the original ialmrnt5.inf.
Will you paste within code tags, or otherwise make it available for me to include, s'il vous plaît.
I can confirm the sha1 hash within the Security Catalog on this end.

Perhaps now that HWID's are specified in the DriverPacks_Graphics_D_wnt6_x86-32.ini file,  that entire WHQL driver could be archived installed utilizing a DPs_FnShR exception, so that user-input is no longer necessary.  That might be a detriment to BartPE/UBCD4Win integrators, yet that driver was only added experimentally and no feedback was presented, if i remember correctly.  That is to say, the downside of such fix should be minimal.

@OverFlow:  Was that "experiment" ill-implimented by turning on PE support on all drivers?  Don't competing files end up in the same i386 folder at the end (and thereby machine-incomprehensible "file soup")???

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-16 14:53:39)

PE does not use the INF from the driver for info.
finisher does not use PE info in the pack INI.

files are only copied for existing hardware, unless he has two video cards that should not be an issue.

Nice work digging up the HWIDs. I like the user to provide them with the HWID tool we provide big_smile.

should be no issues with soup. that is why we have unique names for the tag field.
Spoiler: the original file is cabbed with the tag name.
IE if the tag name is BOB and the original is MIKE. we get a cab file named BOB that contains the original file MIKE. Soup averted, as long as two devices requiring the same name driver don't exist IN a single system. big_smile This is why no tag name may be a duplicate.

Bob's your uncle.  No soup.  Thank you.  smile

CyberHaddad wrote:

Thank you.

My goal is to see the drivers being installed without any user input.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool if you have a lot of computers.

Many thanks for the full description.