Topic: Windows 8.1 driverpacks integration

Hi there! I've got some troubles and really don't know what to do, and will appreciatie any info on this section:
Early, with Windows 7 distro we was able to copy all driverpacks we need into "C:\Windows\Inf" folder, for example i've created folder named "D" with all driverpacks and put it into "C:\Windows\Inf", after that i've made a sysprepped image, and after deploying that image windows 7 during install searched all the folder inside "C:\Windows\Inf", including my "D" folder, so all was fine and i've got fully installed hardware drivers after system installation finishes. By the way i've never integrated drivers using DISM

But now, with WIndows 8.1 distro it seems that this feature is gone. I'm putting "D" folder with driverpacks, making sysprepped image, deploying this image, but system somehow ignores my "D" folder, and no other driver seems to be installed, except drivers bultin into system distro.

Please could anyone put a comment on this situation or maybe put a link with info about how to make it work as with WIndows 7...

I've tried both Windows 8.1 x86 and x64 editions with the same result, driverpacks folder inside "C:\Windows\Inf" seems to be ignored. x86 driverpacks i've got from official driverpacks.net page, and x64 driverpacks were the ones, provided by bigfoot as beta, and the same driverpacks i've used with windows 7 and all was fine.

I suspect something changed, but do not understand what exaclty. PLEASE HELP smile

Last edited by zawakened (2013-11-30 19:28:20)

Re: Windows 8.1 driverpacks integration

Guys, any ideas? Really?

Ok, I'll provide you some info - it's a very very very weird thing in Windows 8.1... Let's for now forget about sysprep and all that stuff. Here what i've done:
1. I've got one driver for example for Intel ICH10R AHCI Controller and put it in directory for example C:\Temp\Driver
2. Run Device manager, select the Standart AHCI Controller device, choose to update driver and pointed the search path for driver in C:\Temp\D directory
3. Driver installed successfully

But... I've done one more test. I've rolled back a standart driver, so it became Standart AHCI Controller device again. And what i've done:
1. I've got the SAME driver as in previous test and put it in directory C:\Windows\Inf\D
2. Run Device manager, select the Standart AHCI Controller device, choose to update driver and pointed the search path for driver in C:\Temp\D directory
3. Driver DO NOT installed.

For more can I say, it seems that it's finds the .inf file because Device Installation dialog provide device name from the inf, and tells me that it cannot find the file. So I guess it cannot find the .sys file in the same folder with inf.

And what I really do not understand why it find .sys if driver placed in C:\Temp\D and DO NOT find .sys if it placed in C:\Windows\Inf\D

Windows 8.1 simply refuses to install( manually or automatically ) any drivers, that placed in C:\Windows\inf subfolders... And I don't know really know why? I've spent whole day, playing with permissions for Users, SYSTEM, TrustedInstaller even a Local and Network Services( and setting owners to them )  on theese drivers' folders and files WITH NO LUCK. It simply refuses...

Guys, please any bit of info will be much appreciated

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And coming back to sysprepped image. Some news: if I place driverpacks for example in C:\D folder, and update "DevicePath" value in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" registry key to "%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\D" before sysprep, so after deploying obtained image on first boot Windows finally looks for drivers in "C:\Drivers" BUT...........................arrrrghhh ))))))))))))))))) NOT ALL OF THEM!!! just some of them are installed, for example Nvidia ION video driver...... and what is really weird - if i select a device in Device Manager, and choose to update it's driver, and select Windows try to automatically install driver for device ( without manually settig a path, so Windows uses paths from registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" DevicePath value ) IT FINDS DRIVERS AND INSTALLS IT without problems ( for example Intel ICH10R AHCI Controller as i've described in the beggining of the post, this drivers was not installed during system install but installs with no problem with manual update driver and automatic search for it)

So, it really blows my mind, and I don't know

Finally, I'm trying to get it work on Windows 8.1 32-bit with latest official driverpacks from offical download page, but I don't think it's due to newer System or an outdated or incompatible driver, because as i said - drivers installs and works correctly if you choose to update driver manually...

GUYZ HEEEEELP, my mind is blowing ))))))))))))

Last edited by zawakened (2013-12-04 01:55:22)

Guys, the same story with Windows 8.1 64-bit and latest beta driverpacks, provided by Bigfoot... Really have no ideas?
Anyone?

P.S. The same driverpacks with the same methods, that do not work in Windows 8.1, works well with the same editions of Windows 7( i mean 32-bit and 64-bit editions )

Last edited by zawakened (2013-12-04 17:07:26)

I'm sorry no one has jumped in.

I'm sure that many, like me, have not had the pleasure of deploying 8.1 yet. I am dying to know the answer now also.

It seems like a bug, have you checked Microsoft or technet yet?

MSFN may have a post about it too.

this may help http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For … rohardware

keep us in the loop please

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I've been reading your post, and as far i can see, i really think that sysprep a folder then update the registry code to make hardware install thing "reads" another folder instead the default ;inf; only...

I read you did hang on to make by using that method to install any drivers but 'video'

I had the same problem too, but with WINDOWS 7. And it happens because there's and Standard VGA Driver that "bypass" and goes before the video drivers...

So... the point is, i had the same problem, i did have all the drivers, and all of them working but video.

So i just click in the devices managers the VGA Standard driver, and "update" it manually... choose the option that lets you install the driver manually, and it will prompt an Compatible Hardware List.

Just click the one who you own, should be only one in the list, if you mark the 'Show Compatible Drivers only' and then just let it install...

NOTE THAT I DONT KNOW IF THIS EVEN WORK, BUT I'M 'APPLYING' THE PROBLEM WHO I HAD WHEN DOING THE SAME THING WITH WINDOWS 7, THAT INSTALLED THE VGA STANDARD INSTEAD MY DRIVER

ITS JUST A THEORY,  BUT IF YOU WISH, YOU CAN TEST IT. I'M DOING IT RIGHT NOW, AND IF IT WORKS, I'LL COME BACK WITH A NEW POST.

I apologize my bad english, my main its spanish.

I know for a fact that Win8 is ultra-restrictive when it comes to driver signing.
Getting Win8 to disable the driver signing check is a test in patience.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Win 8 and win 8.1 only accept signed drivers now....makes it a pain.  lol

Nice post. I keep it in mind. Any updates about the signed drivers and Windows 8.1.. Installing driverpacks on Windows 8.1?

i am facing same problems guyzzz in windows 8.1 drivers are not avail here. i try lot of cds but all are big sh*t ... any one have any idea let me know...

unfortunately nobody is volunteering to update the packs...

we have always had the saying "help us to help you" , well good help is hard to find big_smile

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Driverpacks Is best for Window 8.1..... smile smile smile

can i use win 7 drivers for integration to win 8.1 or anything else for win 8.1 ?

I know for a fact that Win8 is ultra-restrictive when it comes to driver signing. Epson error code 0x69