Topic: Mass Storage search bug and old DriverPack versions

If one searches for Mass Storage DriverPacks on Windows NT5.x one gets a 404 error.

Also I note that quite a few older versions of the packs are not available for download, I have about a 100 older versions archived on my machine, would there be any interest in having them uploaded and linked to the torrent tracker?

Re: Mass Storage search bug and old DriverPack versions

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … ss-storage

also give me the same... Emailing Wim now (AKA Bâshrat the Sneaky)

Yes we can add missing torrent files but I am having trouble remembering how. I also have a very impressive (read; allmost every pack ever) archive of DriverPacks if needed tongue

Found my notes, i can refresh files if anyone wants me to.

Last edited by OverFlow (2014-10-10 08:39:09)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Well I have the ones I need, being those from around May 2008, after that they tended to get a bit iffy on Windows 2000.

I've linked to uploaded versions of these for use with my Windows 2000 install media creation guide, but you never know when someone might want access to an older pack (usually to find a regression bug).

Have you tried an integration with a 2k source (UR1 might need slipstreaming) and the latest MassStorage Nightly?  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 591#p57591
There is a whole series of updates to these venerated DriverPacks under the [Nightlies] subject, although support for devices might be spotty.  Updating existing systems seems risky without verified backup (of course).
If there is anything missing or misbehaving, let me know before the [Nightlies] become RC's and i'll do what i have time for to assist you in identifying problems, finding and implimenting solutions.  Other members here might help too.
2k is NT5 too.  Let's put them all to bed, so we can focus on NT6.

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-11 18:03:39)

No I haven't and while sometimes the problems I've encountered are due to the DriverPacks (exceeding Windows 2000's memory limit on Mass Storage textmode drivers) at other times they are due to bugs in the drivers themselves (later nVidia drivers resulting in corrupted video playback in W2K limited accounts).

I have bugger-all hardware left for use in testing Windows 2000 (was asked to clean out most of the old junk I had lying around) so I'll stick with the older versions that have had more extensive community testing with the OS and hardware they are likely to be used on.

Using the old tried and true packs should be the safest way to integrate something with the best chance of working the first time.

However; if you find that it still doesn't fulfil your needs, here are some areas of potential research.

Other than a regulat ATAPI install, DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1405176 only supports textmode Intel up to about Intel xESB/ICH7-R(M)DH/EP80579 (Matrix 7.8) & AMD up to about SB6xx (ATAPI, RAID & other controllers too & of course the max amt permitted for UR1 support were included*) 

BlackWingCat covers unofficial drivers and additional 2k Updates like none other i know of.  That includes unofficial support for newer Intel/AMD/nV AHCI/RAID/graphics/processors/(et al).

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/ & also:  http://w2k.flxsrv.org/

* (i had been using a UR1-integrated source for testing, and when i regressed to a virgin SP4 disc for source, ntfs.sys errors were noted.  Did integrating UR1 (or one of other off. KB's) alter textmode memory limit?)

Are you using the latest DPs_BASE version, BTW?

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-12 16:56:29)

The guide I write starts with this:

Important Security Notice: As Windows 2000 has been out of support since July 2010 and no major web browser still supports it, it is not safe to use Windows 2000 on an Internet facing machine.  At this stage Windows 2000 is mainly recommended for use in a virtual machine or on unconnected old hardware to run legacy applications.  If you wish to use old hardware connected to the Internet a Linux Distribution is a much safer choice.

So as I'm targeting OS stability and compatibility with programs that were designed specifically to run on W2K, I don't use a modified kernel.

Using DP Base 8.12.5

8.12.5... ahhh those were the days....

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

It would appear that i was wrong, Kurt_Aust.  (I didn't claim to be the brightest LED in the chain though.)

Few people appear to have covered 2k updates, like the aforementioned person.
  I previously neglected to mention the few, such as yourself.

Do feel free to link to your work if you like, as i wasn't aware of your efforts.
  Others may find your updates helpful too, whom may also be previously unaware of your work.

Whilst you are here (presumably), am hoping you can help.

Am looking for a way to slipstream or otherwise install a RootCertificates update before Device Driver detection on a Windows 2000 Setup.

Newer valid windows 2000 drivers are either signed with "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority", or "Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5" and aren't seen as WHQL until after the update is installed (unconfirmed).  This also affects XP, and probably Win2k3 as well.

Have tried entering it in @T36 via the unattend file & $OEM$ folder, yet an error always results including in setuperr.log.

I hope to include any recommendations within the "Certificate Issues" sections of the DriverPacks changelogs, along with credit for such.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-16 16:16:42)

you should be able to slipstream update into 2k with no problem

I haven't mucked around with newer certificates other than installing the latest officially supported one on first boot.

Does the driver install even though it's not signed?  To get the XP x64 Radeon X700 driver to install on my laptop I had to remove the existing graphics drivers with nLite, otherwise it installed a generic one even though the specific one was integrated into the source.

For sake of repeatibility, there are some common drivers that could serve as examples.

For instance, the intel v9.4.1027 chipset drivers.  They include 2000 in the Security Catalog, yet they don't appear to install (manually) without latter certs.
  (win2k usb non-functional due to WHQL-signed editing errors - also take longer to verify than older sigs - i had to go file, by file to check & ... nevermind)

(from latest DP_Chipset_wnt5 nightly):
Certificate Issues:
- i\ drivers from 2013 and newer require "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority" CA (not incl. in W2k)
- i\6\HECI*.sys SymantecTimeStampingServicesCA-G2 (issued by GeoTrustGlobalCA)
- TM\Z\I386\tcm.sys has an expired certificate issued by zteic design co.,ltd
- VB\Balloon.*, VIOSER.*, blnsvr.exe, U3\FLxHCI*.sys
     VerisignClass3PublicPrimaryCertificationAuthority-G5 (issued by Microsoft Code Verification Root)

There are also intel "chipset" drivers in the latest nightly for MassStorage, yet have included 2k versions that need not newer certs.

Certificate Issues - XP-SP3 (before any updates):
         - recommend RootsUpd.exe is added to $OEM$\cmdlines.txt
		        or added to winnt.sif @ [GUIRunOnce] section DetatchedProgram="" (include Arguments="")
 - AM\a\1\rccfg.sys & rcraid.sys, AM\a\2\rcraid.sys, As\1\asahci32.sys & asstor32.sys,
   C\HpAHCIsr.sys, I\0\iSSetup.sys, VB\VIOSTOR.SYS
      VerisignClass3PublicPrimaryCertificationAuthority-G5 (issued by Microsoft Code Verification Root)
 - H\r750.*
      SymantecTimeStampingServicesCA-G2 (issued by GeoTrustGlobalCA)
 - I\ drivers from 2013 and newer require "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority" CA (not incl. in W2k)
 - V\VIDEX32.SYS, xfilt.sys
      VIATechnologiesInc. - certificate has expired or is not yet valid
Certificate Issues - XP-SP3 (post-updates):
 - L\msas2k3.* LSI Certificate revoked

Also, many of the latest LAN drivers require a selection of certificates for validation.

(from latest DP_LAN_wnt5 nightly):
Certificate Issues:
- newer drivers (incl. Atheros l1c51x86, Broadcomm bnxcdx, Intel e1c5132, e1e5132, e1q5132,e1r5132, ianswxp, ixn5132,
     ixt5132, Marvel yk51x86, Realtek rtu30nicxp & rtenic/rtenicxp, SMSC netx500 .cats, VirtualBox netkvm)
        use "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority" for digital signing (not included in w2k).
     Atheros l1c51x86, Broadcomm bnxcdx, Intel e1c5132, e1e5132, e1q5132,e1r5132, ianswxp, ixn5132,
     ixt5132, Marvel yk51x86, Realtek rtu30nicxp & rtenic/rtenicxp, & VirtualBox netkvm (etc) rely upon other Certificates not included in xp/2k3

That is, if i have that right.

The line about adding rootsupd.exe to one's cmdlines.txt seem incorrect, as that garners errors in setuperr.log, as does expanding rootsupd and manually executing it in a rootsupd.cmd (listed in cmdlines.txt).
Also, i have not yet been able to discern if they install @T33-6 like hoped.  Have kept logs....

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-19 18:03:00)

I doubt I can help you, that level of tinkering probably requires similar knowledge to that needing for making an OS update pack, do you have these problems in XP if an update pack is/isn't integrated?

Have you considered asking for help on the "Update Pack Discussion" subforum over at RyanVM.net?

That list of affected drivers can be simplified to:

1)      the aforementioned intel 9.4.0.1027 Chipset driver (w2k usb2 etc. buggy as is)

2)      the latest driver for Realtek PCIe LAN (w2k compat.)

3)     the latest Realtek HD-Audio driver (w2k compat.).

Finally found link to those old packs.  Will work to ensure all drivers still included in nightlies, if not updated or superseded.

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-22 21:22:47)

An update, if it helps.

So far, the only missing 2k drivers comparing DP_LAN 8053 support to the latest [Nightly] for LAN, is an ASIX AX88772 USB-FastLAN.    Also noting that modern atheros devices not included in either.
Having double checked, yet to triple-check, with fixes impending, i can confidently recommend even the current LAN nightly to supersede DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053.7z for Win2k.

The latest Win2k/NDIS5.0 drivers should install even with stock certs, except for Broadcom b57, which installs a WHQL'ed 2010 revision, however; some drivers need a newer individual certificate (or rootsupd) to validate as WHQL (after manual update - or otherwise adding b57.cat file to system, if i have that right)  The .Inf files have it all sorted out for the most part, which files to use.

For those devices entirely lacking NDIS5.0 support, either a Win9x driver could be sourced, or a non-WHQL Null-Driver created specifically to block Win2k installation.  This would go a long way to preventing the possibility of bluescreens, which could affect either old or new pack, until corrected.

I'll take this all one pack at a time, if i have to.  neutral

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-27 13:31:17)

There is one very good reason to deprecate DP_LAN_wnt5_x86-32_8053.7z, and that is because of the Vista drivers somehow included in ..\D\L\I1 & ..\D\L\i3

Also, the weird driver ..\D\L\AM1\amdl7n5.inf has been updated to a proper NT5 driver in the latest LAN [Nightlies].

Am uncertain as of yet of potential impacts to the W2k compatibility of nVidia networking drivers.  <under-study>

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-28 14:51:21)

Sorry that it took so long, but the 404 has now been fixed — http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … ss-storage works fine again smile

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com