Topic: Driverpacks solution - Safe?

From what I read online and on this website, it is a very effective piece of software. For someone like me who is constantly setting up different model computers with Windows installations, it would be a huge time saver (definitely not averse to donating when i can save time!)

My question is, is there anything I should be concerned about before using it?

I read here:

http://superuser.com/questions/642002/i … rustworthy

That while it's great to use, it changes the OEMINFO properties which is a bit concerning to me since I do this for my own clients. Is this still the case, or is there a paid version that avoids this?

Re: Driverpacks solution - Safe?

BadPointer uses all techniques at his disposal to integrate drivers, It's a positive and a negative. The end result is the true test. Perhaps you can test and tell us. IDK why BadPointer uses other methods to force drivers. My belief is that feedback from his users results in options to install drivers in more forceful ways. IF that driver is really really needed then it's a good thing. If we are forcing a driver just so we have bragging rights on a version number then it is a very bad thing.

We have limited feedback on the app. the two or three OP's we have had visit here were happy.

Our project (SAD, Stand Alone Driverpacks) uses MS's dpinst.exe and is the recommended way to install drivers. It's not perfect, as with many things Microsoft releases. But the whole install process is run with the recommended MS tool. Only the log file is left behind

depending on what is changed and how also can it be undone / restored, is there a negative effect?
I like to think "do no harm"... if you think like me and you believe harm was done then you have answered your own question.

I don't know enough about it to be sure what is best for you. I hope to test it myself.
I'll be sure to rebrand my rig when done big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Sounds like maybe I should be little concerned, but I'll give it a shot on a tester to see how it goes. thanks

never hurts to test it out on a bench machine big_smile.

Please let us know what YOU think.

"Help us to help you." is what jaak always said and I can't say it any better big_smile.
The next guy here, and all those that follow, benefit.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I used to work on DriverPack Solution but I no longer support it. I have my own project: Snappy Driver Installer.

You can learn about it more there:
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=10794

Is DriverPack Solution safe?
One of the reasons I quit working on DriverPack Solution is the fact that I didn't like such practices as changing home page in browser, changing OEM logo, installing toolbars, and so on. DriverPack Solution upon launching downloads a JavaScript from the Internet which is used to activate most of bloatware. Since the script is hosted on a website, it can change at any time and it can configured so that different users download different scripts. It's no longer considered a secret: it has been publicly acknowledged that they do it to monetize the project. There's a modified version of DriverPack Solution which has bloatware deactivated. It's included in SamDrivers. But I recommend using Snappy Driver Installer instead because I'm tired of hearing about long known problems in DriverPack Solution which are irrelevant to Snappy Driver Installer.

As for dpinst.exe. It's indeed a very unreliable application. It often fails to install the correct driver even though the driver can be installed just fine via Device Manager. Device Manager uses Win32API to install drivers which is bugfree. DPInst parses inf files and copies files itself but due to buggy implementation it often fails to do it properly.

While DriverPack Solution tend to prioritize newer drivers over more more compatible, it still works better than DPInst. I know this because DriverPack Solution used to use DPInst a long time ago and switching to devcon.exe(it uses Win32API) fixed a lot of problems. Snappy Driver Installer uses even more advanced ranking algorithm and it prioritizes better matched drivers above newer versions.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep the program in mind. I've used driverpack solution a few times now and it seems ok as long as I select 'drivers only'. With that, I don't see the OEM brand changed or anything (unless there's something going on in the background installing spyware or something, but who knows these days?)

I've bookmarked your tool for future use. thanks

Tried downloading your pack (7.8GB) and malwarebytes blocks the site. Should I be concerned?

Last edited by snowber (2014-10-24 04:44:37)

I don't keep track on which bloatware is activated at the moment. The code is still here(tools\modules\oem.js). I know that it used to be active this year and a lot of users complained about the OEM logo.

Which website is blocked by malwarebytes? Can you show the message?

Last edited by BadPointer (2014-10-24 05:06:59)

Driveroff.net - 195.189.227.34:18929

As soon as I click on the 7.8 GB link

EDIT: Scratch that, hovering over the link, I see that it's a torrent. Makes sense as to why MBAM would block it. Probably safe, though

Last edited by snowber (2014-10-24 05:07:22)

This is SamLab's website and I trust him.
I use his website to host the torrent because I don't have my own website.

Why would malwarebytes block a torrent?

BadPointer wrote:

This is SamLab's website and I trust him.
I use his website to host the torrent because I don't have my own website.

Why would malwarebytes block a torrent?

It tends to block known torrent sites in my experience, which I usually just hit exclude on and keep going

SamLab and BadPointer are both long term members in good standing here at DriverPacks.net.

Thank you both big_smile !

Hi there,

i luckily found snappy driver installer while browsing driverpacks forum instead of using SAD2 - which is also nice - i gave SDI a shot and it worked for me fine too by using the old 2012 driverpacks.net packages as used for long time . in former times i used DP-BASE to integrate into smooth windowsXP cd's but stopped this end of 2008 and only kept using SAD1/2 with driverpacks  on later windows7 machines instead of integrating into setup windows7 iso's .

anyways...long story short. while i always like to be on the cutting edge way of using driverpacks i saw "accidentally" that there are some russian or whatever/whereever they are located projects with "newer" driverpacks, so i did little google search and saw that SamLab provides SamDrivers 14.9 and another project with modified ISO DRP_14.9 etc.

if comparing those ISO's it seem that the driverpacks inside extracted are byte-wise/checksum the "same" so could/can be used with SDI , the same are downloaded via SDI directly i think .

I would like to have the "retail" original Driverpacks 14.9 pack, so what/where to take, if googleing i get on several sites saying "we are the original ISO"...

what i downloaded so far - and most of those ISOs are obviously modified afterwards e.g. like fileid.diz in former times and modified directories inside aswell. i have downloaded for the moment 2 8gb ISO files :

DRP_14.9.ISO ,

SamDrivers_14.9.ISO

both contain the 14.9 driverpacks which are from naming similar to the driverpacks.net files as you know by yourselves. So who's the original author and who's "fake" , i dont like at all those many .ISO packs spreading around the internet ;-)

will provide SHA1/checksums later . the DRP_14.9.iso i think i took from some .torrent . The SamDrivers_14.9.iso i think i took from http://samlab.ws/soft/samdrivers/   but i cant remember at all, perhaps it was some separate site cause samlabs is .ru and no direct links there

perhaps one of you guys can bring "light" into the "dark" ;-)

EDIT: i think i took one of the ISO from german chip website :

http://www.chip.de/downloads/DriverPack … 88628.html
author :  Artur Kuzyakov (samlabs?)

thanks!
ben

Last edited by raummusik (2014-10-30 02:17:41)

Same question counts for Driverpacks 14.10.1 (latest obviously) too... perhaps it would make sense to have a sticky topic announcing latest SamLabs driverpacks 14.x including .torrent links - would make sense or ? or does he need ads/clicks on his site ;-)

EDIT: or another idea would be only listing the driverpacks 14.x inside , only the packages with bytesize/checksums while those are always the same and not e.g. "compromised" at all as it seem.

EDIT2: so DRP_14.10.iso contains this , solution 14.10 and driverpacks 14.10.1 :

DP_Biometric_14101.7z
DP_Bluetooth_14101.7z
DP_CardReader_14094.7z
DP_Chipset_14101.7z
DP_LAN_Intel_14074.7z
DP_LAN_Others_14094.7z
DP_LAN_Realtek_14094.7z
DP_MassStorage_14094.7z
DP_Misc_14101.7z
DP_Modem_14101.7z
DP_Monitor_14093.7z
DP_Printer_14084.7z
DP_Sound_ADI_14060.7z
DP_Sound_CMedia_14073.7z
DP_Sound_Conexant_14094.7z
DP_Sound_Creative_14085.7z
DP_Sound_IDT_14082.7z
DP_Sound_Others_14094.7z
DP_Sound_VIA_14072.7z
DP_Sounds_HDMI_14101.7z
DP_Sounds_Realtek_14101.7z
DP_Telephone_14101.7z
DP_Touchpad_Alps_14094.7z
DP_Touchpad_Cypress_14060.7z
DP_Touchpad_Elan_14101.7z
DP_Touchpad_Others_14101.7z
DP_Touchpad_Synaptics_14101.7z
DP_TV_Aver_14073.7z
DP_TV_Beholder_14094.7z
DP_TV_DVB_14060.7z
DP_TV_Others_14060.7z
DP_Vendor_14101.7z
DP_Video_AMD_14101.7z
DP_Video_Intel_14101.7z
DP_Video_nVIDIA_14094.7z
DP_Video_Others_14101.7z
DP_Video_Server_14093.7z
DP_WebCam_14101.7z
DP_WLAN_14101.7z
DP_xUSB_14101.7z   

anyways.. just some ideas, perhaps discussed already here.

Last edited by raummusik (2014-10-30 03:17:27)

It would appear that others are free to use either project for their own purposes.
It might be best to obtain the packs directly from those that create them.

Where does SamLab.ws recommend obtaining his packs from for use with DP_Solution or Bad_Pointer's SDI?
Where does BadPointer recommend obtaining DriverPacks?

I prefer this project here, yet i dare not to deny the value of competing projects.

(edited to spell BadPointer's name correctly)

Last edited by TechDud (2014-10-30 05:55:31)

TechDud wrote:

Where does SamLab.ws recommend obtaining his packs from for use with DP_Solution or Bad_Pointer's SDI?
Where does Bad_Pointer recommend obtaining DriverPacks?

i didnt say they - those 2 above -  recommend, i say that other projects who use the packs sometimes promote to take their ISO so it's for me - non speaking .ru guy - not obviously easy to see "who" is the real author of the packs inside . So SamDrivers is SamLab.ws -> so original author website this is ?, anyone knows where to see exact driverpack list with all checksums e.g. some subsite there like here?

thats the question here,

again short -> can someone point me a .torrent link directly to original author's ISO so i dont have to download any 3rd party .ISO containing adware or whatever. 

will dig into samlab.ws again perhaps i find by myself.

EDIT: seems samlab.ws points to driverOff.net/sam , there is some .torrent :

http://driveroff.net/SamDrivers_14.10.torrent

and single driverpacks 14.10.x are here :

http://driveroff.net/category/dp/

so someone can "confirm" this is original author's ISO or is this also 3rd party ?

thanks

Last edited by raummusik (2014-10-30 22:50:57)

raummusik wrote:

seems samlab.ws points to driverOff.net/sam , there is some .torrent :

http://driveroff.net/SamDrivers_14.10.torrent

and single driverpacks 14.10.x are here :

http://driveroff.net/category/dp/

so someone can "confirm" this is original author's ISO or is this also 3rd party ?

thanks

It's the original ISO.

SamLab releases new SamDrivers each month and updated driverpacks are uploaded at http://driveroff.net/category/dp/ each week.

SDI can download latest SamLab's driverpacks via its integrated mini torrent client. This way you can keep driverpacks up to date.

Last edited by BadPointer (2014-11-01 07:12:54)

Again SamLab was an actively contributing member here for years. He likes to release his packs without testing and roll with the punches. That worked great for us for a long time. He would often release our nightlies (test packs) on his site. This helped us a GREAT deal. We could use his users feedback as well as ours to release the most stable packs possible.

I do trust SamLab, just be aware minimal or no testing is done pre-release on his packs.
his packs are forks / derivatives of our packs. Everyone who has released a DriverPacks used our packs as the starting point of their work. Wim Leers AKA BashratTheSneaky our leader was almost laughed off of the MSFN.org forum for suggesting it was even possible. He created the first packs and DriverPacks BASE to add them. Everyone else has simply stood on his shoulders and all packs are based on our work and were originally our work, and all of them still have remnants of our work. Of all of the people outside of DriverPacks who release DriverPacks i trust Sam the most....

Jeff