Topic: Mass Storage Pack does not install a bunch of .sys files in Bart PE

I used the DriverPacks BASE BartPE guide and built LAN, WLAN, chipset, CPU just fine.  However, it left 142 .sys files out of the Mass Storage with a warning list of the missing files in the log file.

Everything else worked as it should, I do not understand what I did wrong.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Broadbandwizard (2014-03-30 06:50:06)

Re: Mass Storage Pack does not install a bunch of .sys files in Bart PE

Do not include chipset and not CPU to BartPE.

Post some warning lies from the log file.

Thanks cdob, I will try that.  I left the words Mass Storage out of my original question while I was looking for clues, so I assume that you figured out what I was talking about.  I fixed things.  smile

Warning: File "nvraid.sys" not found
Warning: File "nvatabus.sys" not found
Warning: File "3waregsm.sys" not found
Warning: File "3wDrv100.sys" not found
Warning: File "3wareDrv.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec6210.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec6260.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec6280.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec68x5.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec6880.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec6897.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec67160.sys" not found
Warning: File "aec671x.sys" not found
Warning: File "aar81xx.sys" not found

Last edited by Broadbandwizard (2014-03-30 06:56:21)

do those files exist in the mass storage plugin folder?
Which mass storage pack did you use? (version)
Which BASE version?
It may also help to see the DriverPacks BASE-log (in case it failed to create the plugin correctly - and would mean it's not your fault tongue )

This should actually be in the BartPE forum, we may move it at some point smile

Welcome to DriverPacks.net!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

BroadbandwizardWarning wrote:

File "nvraid.sys" not found

As for BArtPE building use XP files with a SP integrated only. No other files, especial no drivers.

DriverPacks BASE did create plugins to add the drivers.

There are no mass storage files files in  D:\pebuilder3110a\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

Files are in D:\XPCD\en_winxp_pro_with_sp2\$OEM$\$1\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini

Mass Storage file/version is = DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1209.7z

BASE version is DPs_BASE_1006.exe

From Base log:
2014-03-28 17:42:09 : <SLIP> Extracted DriverPack MassStorage to a temporary working directory.
2014-03-28 17:42:09 : <SLIP> D:\PE_DPsBase\tmp\DPMtmp\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini
2014-03-28 17:42:11 : <SLIP> Processing Mass Storage files now. This may take a minute.
2014-03-28 17:42:49 : <SLIP> Created QuickStream Cache for DriverPack MassStorage text mode drivers.
2014-03-28 17:42:49 : <SLIP> Slipstreamed DP MassStorage text mode drivers using QuickStream Cache.

I tried to attach a 3k zipfile to this message with the whole log in it, but apparently it can not be done.

Thanks for the welcome to DP.net and also for the help.

Broadbandwizard wrote:

Files are in D:\XPCD\en_winxp_pro_with_sp2\$OEM$\$1\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini

As for BarPE: Do NOT integrate MassStorage drivers to XP files. Do NOT do this.

Read again DP BartPE Tutorialhttp://users.telenet.be/jtdoom/basetute … lpFile.htm
Use DriverPacks BASE at BartPE mode to create PEBuilder MassStorage plugin.

At PEBuilder select XP source files without integrated MassStorage drivers.

Hello again...

I followed your instructions exactly, that is, I read the DriverPacks BASE BartPE guide in excruciating detail, keeping in mind that you said "Do NOT integrate MassStorage drivers."  I apparently was loading everything into the DriverPacks folders and it slipstreamed into the Windows files instead of making a plugin directory.  As I read the directions in the Beginners Guide for XP following the  DriverPacks BASE BartPE Guide, it seemed that all I had to do is a conventional slipstream with WIN.    Big mistake.

"At PEBuilder select XP source files without integrated MassStorage drivers." Does this mean that I have to strip out the OEM source files???

Ok now that this apparently worked since I have a beautiful directory structure with a plugin folder with stuff in it, how do I now get the rest of the packs into it (LAN, WLAN)?

Thanks a lot for your help.  DriverPacks has to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Broadbandwizard wrote:

"At PEBuilder select XP source files without integrated MassStorage drivers." Does this mean that I have to strip out the OEM source files???

Yes, especial OEM mass storage drivers. This gives unpresictable results.
Slipstreaming XP SP3 disables them.

how do I now get the rest of the packs into it (LAN, WLAN)?

Run DriverPacks BASE at BartPE mode too. This creates LAN, WLAN PEBuilder plugins.

you don't strip anything out, just use a "clean" source. One that has not been added to.
Clean sp2 source is recommended by bartpe but xp sp3 works fine.

When you run Base make sure it's in BartPE mode and NOT in Windows mode.
Any drivers you select will have plugins built. Just because the plugins are built does not mean they will work. Sound will fail for sure, but BASE will build the plugin. This is because BartPE does not have the proper structure to support the sound drivers. (a short-coming of HWPNP) other drivers are simply not needed, like video. Typically all you need are Mass, LAN and WLAN.

if you select them in DriverPacks BASE BartPE mode it will make the plugins. then simply make sure the plugins are enabled when you run PEBuilder.

not simple but it's  not complicated either tongue.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Thanks for the information.  I really only wanted the Mass, LAN, and WLAN anyway because I am not sure that I needed anything else.  I thought that all processors have the basic Intel configuration before you load any drivers from long, long ago.   However, when I was the kid in the candy store I figured that if a pound is good, then two pounds is twice as good.  So I put more stuff in thinking that if it fit, I would always be covered. 

I do have the XP SP2 source, and the SP3 update.  I am also trying to get the post3 update kit from RyanVM before the fateful day of April 8.  I am trying to keep my XP machines running and repairable.  I started with DOS 1.0 and went through many versions of Windows, up to XP.  I can almost use 7, but I am much better with Linux.  There are things that I need XP for, so I am in a fast race to April 8.  I really appreciate your help.   Thanks.

you do realize that winxp will still install and run after april, much the same way windows 95 still runs. you just won't be able to get new updates or phone support, same as windows 98. it will still work, it just won't be supported big_smile. They aren't going to Nuke it. LOL. Many people are confused on this point.  And i am sure the many update packs for post SP3 will still be available for years to come.  I doubt if MS will pull the windows updates for a while, they just won't be adding any. It would be really awesome if they released a SP4 (final) But alas it's MS.

I still have my DOS (1) installation floppies and documentation tongue.

Hi Overflow,

I had hoped that it would be as you said that they would keep things online but just not add anything new.    I was planning for the worst, but I found driver packs by having troubles with newer raid drives, which should be OK, but if you let the machines sit until their batteries die, for some reason I could no longer boot the mirrored drives.  I had to always install the Nvidea drivers when I re-installed, so I found DriverPacks.  A very happy day.   Then I saw a way to get a homemade service pack 4, but like you, I hope that MS does it for us.  ( I dream in color, too)  However, as you said, it is indeed MS and they really want us all to buy Win 8.X and 9.X and... 

I have recently came into possession of a Win 7 unit, and it is awkward but also obsolete.  I have seen 8 running in stores, and it is pretty scary to an XP and Linux user.  smile

I also still have my old DOS disks and Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.1, 5, 6 and 6.22.  smile  They are for old programs that I wrote and I wanted to keep the capability of running and editing them. 

I see that you are in Cincinnati.  I lived in Kettering (south of Dayton) and was an embedded system designer, so I wrote a lot of machine language code and needed the emulators, etc to keep them up to date.   I called my old company to get  papers to retrieve my 401K and introduced myself, figuring that they would not know me.  The person that I talked to told me that he knew my name because they still use my drawings and code.  (warm fuzzy feeling)

Now I need to get XP saved so I can run everything else that I have that likes XP on my hardware that I have to fix from time to time.  Yet another warm and fuzzy feeling.  smile

" but if you let the machines sit until their batteries die, for some reason I could no longer boot the mirrored drives."

Surmising that would be because of the CR2032 BIOS battery.  That would nuke any BIOS settings, yet the drives should still contain the config data needed for the array.

If you do use any of the DriverPacks [Nightlies] for BartPE/UBCD4Win or to reinstall 2000/XP/2003 (NT5) on any systems with RAID or AHCI, please please post the basic HWID's (ie:  PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0106) whether it worked successfully or not.  I'd give my left nut (from car) for BartPE/UBCD4Win feedback!

It seems we both missed "Windows 0.1", which was available "preinstalled" on Radio Shack's old CoCo3.

The craziest 7 install i did on a nForce4 mod was where i needed a GRUB4Dos boot disc in order to install 7 on the nForce SATA RAID.  I miss those old "pencil-mark" chipset mods.  Sigh.

By the way, speaking of "warm and fuzzy"; did they manage to sequester that "nukular" waste from that insane waste pile fire near St. Louis?

Last edited by TechDud (2014-04-03 18:24:01)

TechDud, you seem to have one version up on me.  I do remember the CoCo but never had one.  My first "consumer grade" computer was a TRS-80, or as we called them the "Trash 80" for their propensity to lock up because of a tin plated edge connector that connected the base keyboard with the "expansion unit".   That might have been Windows 0.05 because it opened the files to edit and set the file length pointer to 0, and of course if the file did not close properly, it was gone forever (unless you bought a utility that would save it).  I believe it was called "Superutility Plus".  I was developing color hardware when IBM came out with their PC and I began making 68000 and 68020 plug in processor with memory cards to get the speed that we needed when we switched over to the PC so we could say that we were IBM powered.  LOL   Assembler is pretty amazing, but not warm and fuzzy.  *grin*

It was indeed the CR2032 battery, and I had stored the machine and it had died.  When I booted it came up with a litany errors, and I promptly replaced the battery and reset the bios configuration to what I thought would be correct. "Missing NTLDR", but of course it was there.  I have worked on it trying to set the bios the way that it was, but something is amiss.  I need a tool better than Win Recovery, something that tells me more about the Boot records, etc.  I thought I had discovered something a few nights ago but it was too sleepy that night, and I cannot remember where I found it.  When you jump off a page to another page, Chrome does not know that address.  *sigh*

I would be very happy to work with you on Driver Packs and UBCD.  I read the first instructions and it said something about "older versions of UBCD" and I thought that this was an obsolete program and went with Bart, which I had heard of and used on occasion.  When you referred to it in your note, I Googled it and found that it may be what I am looking for, rather than Bart.  I will start making a UBCD, and I probably could use some help getting a jump on it.  If we do that, I wonder if we should send private mail rather than through here, because I think I might be on the wrong thread, although it is all about Mass Storage.

I have used Linux to install stuff that did not want to install, and I do fondly remember the pencil-mark chipset mods.

Even though I was a hardware and device driver designer in a previous lifetime, I have not used the HWID for the systems that I play with.  (I just noticed the HWID getter listed in your posting and snagged it.)  I work with hardware like mountain climbers climb mountains: because its there.  smile  If you tell me where to get whatever information or ids that you want, I will be very happy to work with you on whatever I can.   I have many very nice computers and a few clunkers that like to fight back.   It is very satisfying to figure these out.    My daughter, who is also a computer junkie like her father, calls my machines "FrankenPCs".   They have varying hardware, most were the best price point for performance, and I tend to stick with Nvidia and one standard Antec tower case (no longer available, but they are great), other stuff varies like mileage.  Many are RAID.

Now I will run along and get UBCD and start running with it.  smile

We have a forum for UBCD4Win if you need us

I'm moving this over there too

"I have worked on it trying to set the bios the way that it was, but something is amiss."

Hopefully it was a simple configuration switch in either BIOS or the RAID BIOS config.  Failing that, perhaps the following proggie will enable data recovery.  http://www.diskinternals.com/raid-to-raid/

8" floppies, mmm.
I miss white on black high-contrast screens.  A friend had a Model I, II or III (cannot remember) when i was a teen.

Pure Tin platings for electronic connectors are to be shunned!
  I hesitate to think of how classes of Electronics students were incorrectly taught to plate their newly etched circuit boards with it!
  You might enjoy the following (off-topic) site.   http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/
     Note fusing currents of up to 200 Amperes!
Note the top article of the "What's New" page, and think "vehicular sudden acceleration".

Have long wrestled dust bunny herds, uneven heat sink surfaces, dud batteries, bad capacitors and the like - and regularly won.
  Rat poop in a computer caused me to say "yup, it's toast" though.     smile

Back on-topic:
  I had planned to double-check that all relevant files were properly integrated for BartPE/UBCD4Win with just the MassStorage pack at some time in the near future for xp & 2k3.

If there is anything you can do to further that end, i will credit you in the MassStorage changelog.

It may not be very efficient, yet i use Mitja Perko's (shareware/freeware for personal use) CDCheck to generate a sha1 hash file just before integration for a regular integrated install disc.  With that hash file, i can tell what files are changed after integration is complete.  For PE, it can help discern changes say from using MassStorage 12.09 to something newer (or what files are integrated if comparing a folder with MassStorage integrated, and one without).

PS:  Welcome aboard, Broadbandwizard
            "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist."  I miss that old opera by The Who.

Last edited by TechDud (2014-04-05 17:22:01)

Thanks for the tip on raid-2-raid.  I went there read about it and got it.  Perhaps this will be what I need to identify what happened.   The only thing that I can think of is that I messed the array up when it tried to boot with the dead battery in it, or when I accidentally misconfigured it after I put in a new battery.  This Asus A8N32-SLI board has two disk controllers on it and you can select whichever one (or both) that you want to use in the bios setup.   I will use the tool to see what I can see and perhaps figure out what I did wrong.   I have had the battery problem before and was able to reconfigure with no issues.  However, only one raid controller.  smile

Eight inch floppies (the original frisbee) and high contrast black and white screens.  The good old days.  smile   If you had the 8 bit Zilog Z-80 based unit with the connector cable from the keyboard to the "expansion unit" with the delightful tin plating, you had a Model 1, if you had a single cased business 16 bit unit, you had a Model 2, and if you had a single unit 8 bit Zilog Z-80 based unit you had a Model 3.  The tin whiskers were the cause of the disdain for the "Trash 80" and exactly how the unit earned (deservedly so) its name of Trash versus TRS.  Had Tandy used gold instead of Tin, they would not still be a retail store they would be the Apple of today, not facing bankruptcy.  The Model 1 was an upper case only machine, we added a TTL chip in piggyback to another to make the system have a full 8 bit character set (about 40 cents), add a bit of gold plate (maybe a dollar in those days) and the computer world would be very different today.   So saving $1.40 kept Tandy nailed down, and earned it an unfashionable nickname.  smile  Note that IBM imitated Apple's expansion card idea (same card-to-card spacing) and Tandy's use of Intel based (Zilog is a knockoff of the 8080 with division added).  Tandy had the expansion unit idea with no expansion cards.  IBM fixed that.  Chips & Technology enabled clones along with Phoenix Technology "cleanroom" BIOS made everything else history.  Not much in copyrights in those days.  When the PS-2 came out, IBM copyrighted everything, including the daylight that shone on the PS-2.  smile   I got permission from them to make plug in cards to go into them.   IBM is very nice with its patent portfolios, not all companies are.

Jumping back off topic as you did to the same area, note that whiskers are the reason that Ni-Cd batteries die permanently when they are allowed sit while discharged.  A whisker grows between the anode and cathode and the battery can no longer be charged.  A single cell recovery device is a battery that can deliver a high discharge current across the cell.  I have used a fresh alkaline battery connected across the terminals (proper polarity) with bars, not wires.  The surge current clears the whisker and you simply recharge it.   If the battery is very low in voltage across its terminals, it is whiskered.  We knew about whiskers in the late 70s and early 80s, which I think is when TRS hit the scene, but nobody asked us.  smile

The tin whisker in TRS 80 machines was from pure tin plating.  Obviously Toyota used the environmentally safe, lead-free tin plating and killed a few people.   Well, at least they were environmentally friendly in spite of it costing them something like 1.5 billion in cash.

I deal with dust bunnies often.  As you know, men cannot see dirt until there is enough to raise crops.   Techno-guys see dust bunnies in computer cases, power supplies and case fans.   We buy air compressors to deal with these issues outside.  I always clean my systems in the fall and spring.   I have quite a few systems probably around 15 not counting laptops.

I tested the UBCDforwin disk, but it did not have the tools that I needed.  It did, however, boot and identify things and offer some useful tools.   My disk issue was not one of them.  sad  I will help you testing the MassStorage packs in any way that I can.  Perhaps I can find something to help diagnose issues like I had.  This has to be a common problem.  I have been reading where CR2032 (and CR2025 used in one laptop) have been installed new and only lasted a week.  I may have that problem now.  I fixed a system for a friend a week or so ago, and he says it is now booting into Bios Setup.  (Big Red Flag)  I told him to quit using it and bring it back over soon.

Your use of a hash is brilliant to verify that nothing has changed.  I noticed that the UBCD download had that feature, which was good because one place I went to get it my antivirus growled at it.  Another site was happy and friendly with my antivirus.  I do remember the old days when destruction was not even thought of.  I had logins on DEC, IBM, other big companies, many universities, an some government sites.  We would never even THINK of doing something bad, much less do it.

You got me on the opera, I know The Who from their music but not their opera. In fact, I had no idea that they did any opera.   I was mostly geeky in those early days and after I acquired a taste for opera it was in the style of HMS Pinafore.  A Google check revealed that Wikipedia had an article on it.   I am learning much on this forum.  smile

I will try to get time to visit the UBCD4Win soon

Overflow, I Googled "UBCD4Win forum" and got several possibles.  I went to UBCD4Win.com and was hit with a 403 Error - "You don't have permission to access /forum on this server" when I clicked on the Forum link on the left.  Hmmm... now for plan B?

With respect to OverFlow, try https://web.archive.org/web/20121120174 … .com/forum

Quote:  "There's no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A." - Will Smith     smile

For load-testing a CR2032, I use a WiFi finder that uses one such cell.  There are some LED flashlights that use such batteries, too.
  Note that some laptop BIOS batteries use a different prefix such as VR that indicates a rechargable lithium cell.

Broadbandwizard wrote:

"As you know, men cannot see dirt until there is enough to raise crops."

That is very quotable too!     smile

Noting what i hope is the manual for that A8N32-SLI Deluxe board (that was a Deluxe, was it not?).
     http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/soc … LI_Dlx.pdf
  If it was the Deluxe as i suspect, then you likely had not done any pencil mod to it since that would have been unnecessary.

For the nVidia RAID, (quote from manual) "during POST, press <F10> to display the main menu of the utility."  Odd, i would have thought that would be <Ctrl+N>.
  For the Silicon Image 3132 controller, (quote) "during POST, press <Ctrl+S> or <F4>".
    It would seem that one should ensure the configuration is recognized on the controller it was originally installed upon.

nVidia wrote:

"Make sure to re-enter your NVRAID settings after the CMOS is cleared;
otherwise, the system will not recognize your RAID setup."
     quoted from linked manual above

Noting that whatever packs you used for your original installation are the revisions you should probably use for data recovery. 

Be data safe!

"I have had the battery problem before and was able to reconfigure with no issues. "

It may have been some time, yet try to remember what you did then.  Did you "Load the Optimized Defaults" then?

Also noting that a linux-Live disc might assist in data recovery.
  Note that some RAID arrays may not be recognized or display properly by linux, so if so that is no indication that your array is pooched.  It might be an alternate way to access the data though.  Probably not good to write anything to the array, as it could conceivably corrupt it.

When you have finally solved this puzzle, you might be amazed to note (as i was) that Fernando uncovered that it is possible to use a much later nVidia RAID BIOS v10.0.0.35.

Fernando wrote:

"Note: This NVIDIA MediaShield RAID ROM has been designed for nForce ION (MCP79) RAID systems, but can be used after a modification of the DeviceID hex code with all nForce chipsets from NF3 up.
And here are 2 "modded" nVRAID ROM modules v10.0.0.35, which are designed for the use with nForce3-250 resp. nForce4 AMD chipset systems"
     quoted from:  http://www.win-raid.com/t7f13-AHCI-amp- … dules.html

Of course, this entails modifying the BIOS and flashing the mod.  Not for the faint of heart, or those not prepared to recover from a bad flash or bad mod.  Socketed flash chips can be backed up with a "hot flash".

I only mention these things to expand upon possibilities, not as suggested courses of action.

I look forward to learning from you, as it sounds like you have much to teach.

[Off-Topic]
Oh, the Rock Opera; that was "Tommy".  OK, perhaps this should never be mentioned in any, even abject, comparison with Guilbert & Sullivan.  Live and learn.

Sadly, my only exposure to Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore was in Star Trek: Insurrection (so far).   If you like that science fiction genre too, the following may interest you.  http://www.stanford.edu/group/savoyards … n/node/115
    The opening plot of H.M.S. Pinafore vaguely sounds like the love story from "Titanic".  Was that one source of David Cameron's inspiration (i wonder aloud)?
[/Off-Topic]

Last edited by TechDud (2014-04-07 19:13:24)

Getting back to the original problem of a non-bootable machine.  I finally gave up and decided to reload the system.  I verified that the CMOS battery was good and being held in the holder correctly.  The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-32SLI.  In order to start clean, I formatted the disk, the long hard way.  Then I installed Windows XP SP2 and used some Nvidia drivers on a floppy.  I assume that they were correct, because the system loaded and booted.  Then I used some drivers downloaded from Nvidia's web site for everything else.  I was unable to load the Ethernet drivers because the Install Shield said that it needed a file that was not there to do the last two.  Device manager was complaining about Mass Storage and Ethernet drivers, but the system booted and seemed otherwise happy on SP2.   I installed XP Service Pack 3 and the system ran and did all the cool stuff, but it wanted me to reboot.    Finally, I did.  The machine partially boots, then bios beeps and the next screen says "Windows did not start normally last time..."  So I told it to reboot normally, same thing, beep, Windows did not start normally.  Then I told it to start in Safe Mode.  Boot, beep, Windows did not start normally...

OK, does anyone have a clue what I did wrong here?  It becomes pitiful when I cannot even reload a machine.  *sigh*  Is it possible that the Nvidia drivers are wrong?  I think not because the system boots with SP2 and has a lot of fun until I put on SP3.  I have used several different SP3 disks downloaded from MS on different dates.   No diffference.  I wish I could download the original ASUS A8N-32SLI motherboard disk because I cannot find mine.  Thanks, Bob

i moved this to the forum i was talking about... YOU ARE HERE. http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewforum.php?id=32
DriverPacks.net Forum » BartPE - UBCD4Win - WinPE »

Ben Burrows sold UBCD4Win, they are all but dead now, the forum is still readable. 
My good friend Hilander999 Wrote (or fixed) most all of the plugins for BartPE, he provided the framework and insight so i could write the DriverPacks BartPE plugins and he is still on my speed dial. big_smile
I was talking to him the other day on the phone, I have had zero luck trying to talk him into doing a project based on a newer version of PE... It sucks because nobody has a decent project like UBCD4Win with a newer  version of PE.

if i were you i would get RVMI and nLite and DriverPacks and make an updated install.
Ryan's Integrator will add servicepacks and updates (and addons if you like)
nLite will automate the install. (and create an ISO when you are all done)
DriverPacks added to your install will complete your disc.

I would try installing from a fully updated source like the one i just described. At the very least i would install from a SP3 source disc.

I am glad that I am here, wherever that is.   smile  I started working with DriverPacks using nLite and then tried to update BartPE to see if I could find out what was wrong.  I think what I want to do now is what you just said, slipstream WinXPSP2 to include Mass Storage, Chip Sets, and LAN and WAN, and add SP3 to make a super reload disk.  Is their a particular order and method to add all this stuff?  Any thing else to include?

Adding Ryan's Integrator would be great, too.  I think I saw a place and got most of the updates except for those that MS had recently added.  I will have to go look over all of that stuff I gathered and loaded up this array with.  My last tape backup took a second tape.  I need to houseclean some of this stuff that did not work. 

I think the problem that I described in my last post has to do with the wrong drivers, so the fully updated source disk is a possible solution.  If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

I think I remember having a boot disk that would let me boot a dead machine and then turn the system over to the hard disk that had the hosed boot tracks.  Cannot remember what it was called.  It has been a long while since I had any system troubles that I could not easily fix, so like they say, use it or lose it.  I lost it.  smile

yeah there is an order. I just gave it to you.  It used to be plastered every where around here, it's for sure in the tutorial linked in my signature. the examples given in the tutorial are on a very old version of DriverPacks BASE, but are basically all still valid big_smile.

To make Unattended install CD:
1 RVMI update XP source to SP3  (unless it's media center then SP2 - {don't use MCE})
   there are some really good addons for RVMI
   - post Servce Pack update packs; All in Ones, AIO; Critical only, whatever
   - other addons can install software like adobe reader or ...
   - some addons tweak registry values.
It's very powerful, and not to complicated - RVMI will even copy your source for you. (never work on original files)
2 if you want to automate a CD based install you can use nLite for only automated install ... nothing else. period.
3 once you are all done, make a copy.
   Add DriverPacks to the copy.
   NO MORE changes are allowed to the copy at this point, your source is complete once you add DriverPacks. ( you made a copy right?)
   If you do make changes after this point I will know, and will ridicule you publicly.
4 MAKE ISO you may use nLite to make the ISO, and nothing else. period. (no more changes remember)

a fully updates source is the best place to start as a possible solution.

HINT: use RVMI to add only SP3 first. use the output as your new source for future updates.
         A clean SP3 source is perfect for UBCD4Win big_smile big_smile.

boot disk:
grub4dos will let you do that easily... boot disk images, linux, dos, NT, whatever you like. I used it to put bartPE on a second partion.  If you need a working example then please check out Easy2Boot, (the developer is a member here too big_smile.)  It demonstrates the power of grub quite well. it's real cool on a thumb drive...

I reread this thread several times, and I think I see what happened to my original attempts.  I have to update the OS with whatever I want to put in it.  Then use a COPY of that updated disk to install the DriverPacks.  After installing the DriverPacks, I cannot do anything else to the disk. 

In my original attempts, I added the DriverPacks first, then tried to install updates.  I did get one disk working because I installed Mass Storage DriverPack and quit.  That disk worked.  There are some days when the obvious is not obvious.  smile

I will dump some of my futile attempts and do it the way that I think you just told me to do it. smile
If I am still lost, reply before I waste more hours trying to get this one system working.  I have been in this field since General Motors was a Lieutenant, and not had issues like I have had with this one machine, including when I built it.   If I had the original motherboard disk, I probably would have not had this issue.  It is here somewhere, and one day I will find it.