Topic: intelide vs pciide

I see that this is a "many-headed hydra" kind of thing, yet it must have a haircut!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primarily, i would like confirmation on how this should work on NT5, with an eye towards NT6.x.  This discussion doesn't yet take AHCI (msahci.inf) into consideration.

I see that intelide, a native driver, is used for Intel controllers ICH0 through ICH5 (w2k) & ICH6 (xp,2k3) by NT5.  All other "unknown" pci controllers tend to use pciide, another native driver.  This is accomplished via the driver mshdc.inf.  Note that any Intel PCI IDE controller newer than ICH6 should natively install the pciide driver.

Add Intel's Chipset package into the mix with it's own drivers.  Now we have a choice between intelide and pciide.  There are drivers named ibexide.inf for instance, which generally support pciide (mask of ????ide.inf).  There is also drivers named ibexid2.inf for instance, which generally support intelide (mask of ????id2.inf).

On XP sp3, intelide is "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)", 5504 bytes, and references ntoskrnl.exe {KeBugCheckEx, KeTickCount} & PCIIDEX.sys (PCI IDE Bus Driver Extension).

Pciide is "5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)", 3228 bytes, and references only PCIIDEX.sys.

Pciidex.sys is "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)", 24960 bytes, and references HAL.dll & ntoskrnl.exe including {KeBugCheckEx, KeTickCount}.

Both types of driver have been included in DriverPacks, since at least 2007.  This has not been without issue.

I do recall that the intelide driver did cause issue for some with ICH7 controllers (changed in MS v11.07).    see:  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 885#p37885
There have also been issues with Sysprep, and some Dell GX600 series systems, if i have read those topics correctly.

Conclusion:  For NT5, i tend to think that these drivers should be archived as "intelide" and "pciide".  It should be up to the individual whether or not they are installed.  This would avoid any possible pitfall of their usage.  It also offers an obvious bugfix should native drivers fail.

What are your thoughts?     hmm

Last edited by TechDud (2013-10-13 16:35:14)

Re: intelide vs pciide

I am not sure Dude

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I found more info:

bigfoot wrote:

"The line looks correct.
ich78id2.inf  requires intelide.sys
ich78ide.inf requires pciide.sys.
Pciide.sys is a generic driver so it maybe more compatible. It does not support hot swap like the intelide driver.
If one doesnt work, I would try the other."

mr_smartepants wrote:

"From what I understand, ich78id2.inf is for Windows 2000.  I typically remove the extra line in the .inf to "break" the driver signing so that ich78ide.inf is selected first for XP users.
This was reported as a bug elsewhere in the forums."

quoted from:  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 812#p43812

I will venture to do some testing with only the in-box native driver during Setup, then compare benchmarks & hot-swap ability with either the Intel-supplied intelide or pciide based drivers.

I have read that in at least NT6 that TRIM is supported by both drivers.

No eSATA drivers have been found so far for Intel devices as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29B6&CC_0101
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E16&CC_0101

Therefore; PCIide is installed,
which apparently from what i've read thusfar, will not support Hot-Swap!

Unfortunately, i have no eSATA cable for testing.
A regular SATA cable will not fit.

I do reason that a modified .Inf would rectify this situation, if true.

However; i will not make the change and simply document this theory here.  Done.

Can anyone enlighten me further?

I have esata cables, they will not yield a different result than a regular cable. they simply have a clip to keep it from easily being pulled out. the wiring is the same.

Hot swap is a setting in either the firmware or in the software. and should present itself regardless of the physical cable.

(hang a drive on a regular cable direct to the MB, unplug as needed big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Jeff,
just to let you know.

hot swap can be a setting in UEFI BIOS.
iow, in legacy mode the on mobo port ain't even selectable as hot swap, and in UEFI mode it has that capability.

way back, I had to make damn sure the purple ports were connected to a true hot swap bay, now it's a new ball game.

TIP for people building your own.
internal sata to external wit Esata capabilities, make use of unique color cables, because you will much sooner than you think make an error in that spaghetti.
(many of my test mobos had more than 4 HDD ports. The craziest I went was 10HDD and two DVD.)

This does not mean I never put together a machine with just one HDD, but I Always wanted ports to spare.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

techdude, for UEFI ports to work in esata, X64 is a MUST, and XP64 dont have UEFI recognition (so it is 7x64 and up)

I dont think I have this wrong, Sir.
Man, I read what you did for us here at DriverPacks.. I am gonna take lessons from you real soon, god willing.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

makes me think of esata in an x32 box.

they all had purple colour, and needed a driver post install (hence, no boot HDD ever worked from esata in XP)

I think we tried that in our search for sillicon hyll gigabyte sil 3132, and I blew a mobo by attempting a "suggested fix" that I did while the BIOS prevention (a dual bios..) said I shouldnt.
GB replaced it at no cost (I gave Wim Leers back the money some of the donators forked out for that episode)

the third party port was never meant to boot from, but it was esata (a boon to me, for data rescue work)
Today, it's another ball game.

The capability has to be SET.
What if you did not, and you try it? Any known law cases yet?

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Groeten, Jaak!
I apologize for not having responded earlier.

Can you confirm that there is a "UEFI" PnP HWID?

Quoted from Ray Hinchliffe's SIF (System Information Viewer) included file pnpdevs.txt:

"TOS6207=Toshiba Notebook Extra HCI driver
TOS7400=Toshiba AcuPoint
UEFI=Microsoft UEFI-Compliant System
VDM0469=Vadem PCIC compatible Plug and Play PCMCIA controller
VMBUS=Virtual Machine Bus
VPC2004=Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller"

Last edited by TechDud (2013-11-22 18:47:58)