Re: DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1209, BartPE, STOP 0x0000007E

...  and the answer is Yescdob's plugin likely worked, as disabling MegaSR & MegaIDE allowed XP to install.  smile

Will narrow this down later.  MegaSR or 'MegaPITA'.  There can be only one.  hmm

Last edited by TechDud (2013-03-28 14:01:37)

It's MegaSR at a minimum.  It is a certainty that this is indeed a "MegaPITA".

Fixing this would require a new beta process, i believe.  Also, a new opportunity to simplify folders and be more compliant with Chenall's <D.P.M.S.iso> included script for further WinSetupFromUSB support, adding USB3 to textmode too, as Damnation long ago requested.

MegaSR is v15 & iaStor at best is v11.2.  Having MegaSR in a folder with a greater weighting alphabetically could be a source of the MegaSR & earlier the MegaIDE interferences.

What are your thoughts, OverFlow?  Does this indicate how i was wrong to label this deviant behavior by Windows textmode as a DP_BASE bug?

How else could any of this be possible?

I wish i could remember which post it was that mr_smartepants detailed the order and certification levels which NT5 prefers it's drivers.  Please refresh my memory.  Search hasn't helped so far.

Last edited by TechDud (2013-03-29 13:07:16)

TechDud wrote:

I wish i could remember which post it was that mr_smartepants detailed the order and certification levels which NT5 prefers it's drivers.  Please refresh my memory.  Search hasn't helped so far.

Do you mean this?
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 833#p47833
The reference is for NT6 but NT5 works the same way.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

TechDud wrote:

Has anyone an archive of DP_MassStorage_wnt5-x86_901.7z ?

of course http://www.adaptivepc.com/DP_MassStorag … -32_901.7z

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

TechDud wrote:

... or an error like a "ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k"" where it ought not be.  shouldn't i just comment all of those?
skip_if_OS seems effective.

no because if you do that will enable them on win2k and win2k will crash on boot because of out of memory.
the advantage to this method is that the SIF file entries are created with a semi colon in front of them, Win2K will ignore a line with a lead semicolon. An admin can open a ISO file edit the SIF file with notepad and change a couple semi colons and punch out a disk without re installing the DriverPacks with DriverPacks BASE. Quick easy and clean. So it has a purpose even if it is for a very old platform.

TechDud wrote:

truely wishing i had built that UBCD4Win disc now........

you still should... it also has memcheck built in tongue

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

TechDud wrote:

...  and the answer is Yescdob's plugin likely worked, as disabling MegaSR & MegaIDE allowed XP to install.  smile

Will narrow this down later.  MegaSR or 'MegaPITA'.  There can be only one.  hmm

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE"
couldn't have said it any better.

If there are any duplicate HWIDs in there chaos is the result... especially if it conflicts with a native driver

Native drivers require you to use "Replace" tags wink
you can* only replace a native driver if it is fully backward compliant.

* (read 'should', because you can do that, just not the preferred choice)

oh, right.  "native" drivers being those already included in the source, whether it be W2k, XP or W2k3.
I have those posts by Jaak at my fingertips and will double-check.  Thank you.  (MegaSR, iaStor, or VEN_8086&DEV_27C3 not included in source)

well, both MegaSR (v15) & iaStor.sys (v11.2-WHQL'ed for NT5.1, 5.2, etc.) have the HWIDs VEN_8086&DEV_27C3.  Considering the fact that MegaSR is WHQL'ed for w2k3 at minimum, and in consideration of setup's preferences, could the fact that i've selected it as textmode driver for XP be causing problems?

I must be confused about the driver preferences of textmode Windows Setup.  Please hit me over the head with it.  tongue

This is at least the third occurrence i've noted where a Raid or Ahci driver described with Subsys ID's are incorrectly used in preference over a desired textmode driver described by CC_010x.
Why The Fail?

Quoted from MegaSR_aka_ESRT2_Windows_v.15.00.0811.2012_Readme.TXT
"===================
Package Information
===================
Driver Version = 15.00.0811.2012
OS supported = Microsoft* Windows* Server 2012 (x64), Windows* 8 (x86 & x64), Windows* 2008R2 (x64), Windows* 7 (x86 & x64), Windows* 2008 (x86 & x64), Windows* Vista (x86 & x64), Windows* 2003 (x86 & x64), and Windows* XP (x86 & x64).

These drivers are WHQL certified, and all required .cat files for installation are included in the appropriate directories. "

It seems untrue, the part about Windows XP driver being WHQL certified.  Have i selected an incorrect or outdated package?

I'd simply move such drivers to avoid conflict, yet wouldn't moving these cause MegaSR installs to fail in the same manner?  I have no MegaSR HW to test that hypothesis so if somebody does that is willing to test, please reply.

One other oddball i've noted concerning installing to an AHCI controller.  That is, it works on an ICH8M only when i use a drive that supports max.  SATA-I, not SATA-II.   Why The Fail?  To know it is that i have failed to thusfar.  Fernanado has previously recommended a different driver for ICH8R & M textmode.  Will give v10.1.0.1008 a try later yet leave such change for a future MS pack.

Last edited by TechDud (2013-03-30 19:51:57)

Remember mass storage text mode is hard coded. no PnP no WHQL, Nothin nada zippo...

whatever HWID you specify for a driver will force that driver to be used. (obviously only if that hwid exists in the system)
Hard coded. you could assign a sound card driver and it would attempt to load it tongue.

very simple in theory. the main point is you only need to pick one that works long enough to partition and transfer files. then the PnP driver will replace it on the reboot. big_smile

BartPE and UBCD4Win and other PE based tools are based on windows textmode setup which is more properly referred to as the Preinstallation Environment or simply P.E.

i know it really confused me too when cdob and hilander999 dragged me into the mire. Best advice i can give you is forget everything you know about windows... start there big_smile tongue

Try the latest RC.   here --> http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6622
  It works on my machine with the same MassStorage controller (8086:27C3) using RST v11.2.0.1006.
  WinSetupFromUSB works, too.   smile

BartPE should work.  Please confirm, abramoff.
This should be a much better solution than using DP_MassStorage_wnt5-x86_901

Last edited by TechDud (2013-04-02 16:38:41)