Topic: broadcom wireless problem

I have been checking out many web sites and forums which point to the general displeasure of the wireless networking community when it comes to configuring Broadcom-based wireless network adapters...

Driver Conflicts

Yeah, it's important to install manufacturer specific drivers first. Then install the Broadcom WLAN Utility. If you look at the .inf files under Broadcom, you'll see entries like :
[BROADCOM]
%BCM430B_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XX, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4301&SUBSYS_12F3103C
%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00E70E11
%BCM430G_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XG, PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_12F4103C

VEN_14E4 is broadcom
DEV_4301 is the 802.11b chip
DEV_4320 is 802.11g

SUBSYS is manufacturer specific. I actually have PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4301&SUBSYS_1025111A&REV_02

So I am not represented in the *Broadcom* driver set. Instead I have to install their utility on top of my vendor-specific drivers. I've had a little more time to play with this, and the results can be painful, sometimes. After a restart, I have been getting lockups and freezes, but I think I'm making progress. It may be important to switch the order of installation (Broadcom Program first, then driver). Also, Broadcom installs it's own generic drivers which I don't seem to be using. I have been experimenting with removing them (Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs) and restarting. Well, back to the fun.

Re: broadcom wireless problem

You are indeed correct.  That hardware isn't actually represented in the current packs.  Not even Microsoft Update has a direct correlation to that specific hardware id.  They do have a version 3.100.65.1, probably the last representative of the 3.x line.  Which corporate entity made it, defunct or not?

I assume that a linux install would work fine, is that true?  If so, stick with that if possible.  It will likely be most reliable, (not to mention more secureable) with best throughput if configured properly.

Is this a mini-PCI card for a laptop?  If it were me, i'd be adding an antenna from junk & going Broadcomm-G for mini-PCI.
Older Atheros-G increased system latency substantially (according to D-P-C), even with newer drivers.  Those i chuck, unless stuck.

Better yet, 10/100 must seem rather attractive at this point.  "Plug it in, plug it in"   smile
   What's that 12MB/s full-duplex?

Last edited by TechDud (2013-02-24 11:49:59)

Re: broadcom wireless problem

TechDud wrote:

"Plug it in, plug it in"   smile

ROFL - Guess i have watched too many commercials in my life big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.