Topic: [SOLVED BUG #322] Desktop.ini popup after KTD has been applied

how can i delete this annoing file in the autostartfolder during windows starts?  i have tried several things but nothing works at all..

any ideas ?

Last edited by mikelm (2006-10-09 06:46:54)

Re: [SOLVED BUG #322] Desktop.ini popup after KTD has been applied

Simply deleting the file from both the Auto Run folder as well as from the desktop (you need to "show hidden files" be enabled to see it) did the trick in Virtual PC.
I would assume this to be the same on a Real Lifeâ„¢ PC.

Can't you just use the del /f /q command?

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

the problem is that the desktop ini issnt present all the time , i din´t know when this file was created during setup.
so i didn´t know when i have start the batchfile for delete it.

my sugesstion was to make a del.cmd file with 

DEL "%UserProfile%\STARTM~1\Programme\Autostart\Desktop.ini"

but this didn´t work.  i didn´t find out where to place this command and when to lunch it ..

unti li didn´t know when the desktop.ini file was created i think about to copy a del.cmd  file over the OEM methode into the ALL USERS startupfolder and this must to be llunched up during windows starts up.

but this didn´t work the file wassn´t copied  into the folder and i didn´t know why.

i put for deleteing the del.cm the following into the del.cmd :

del del.cmd

all this stuff didn´t work really ...

any help ?

Hi
first off, I think del.cmd is a bad name (del is an internal cmd)
if you want to do this, call the thing delcmd.cmd or something...

then maybe use "if exist"

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

when did a useraccount created by windows?  at the first login ?  perhaps this could be the reason why the copy command not work , because during install of windows the $OEM$ things from Cd are copied to harddisk , right ?
and so it could not copied to a location which is not availible at this time ,right ?
so how can i get this things work ?

ok here some new information :

since yesterday i got this f... desktop.ini also in xp pro.

so i test around:

i make a winnt.sif with nlite.
then i copied this winnt.sif into a  pure xp pro sp2  -> works without desktop.ini

svcpack.inf from pure xp pro sp2

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="i386\hotfixes"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]

now next info: (bad for wim!)

take a  pur xp pro sp2 now with driverpack and base 6.10 and the same winnt.sif -> got this f*ck desktop.ini  and also svcpack.inf was corrupt

svcpack.inf corrupt

???????????????????????????

and now i didn´t want to here anything about that this was not driverpack or base which make this silly issue! i have spend the whole week for this and i´m not really happy about this! and at the beginning i said that this issue comes from base !!

All the time was waste for that, because i know this also at the beginning....

svcpack.inf  from test with sereby´s updatepack and driverpack -> also got this silly desktop.ini file

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
BuildNumber = 2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir = "i386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
;	An den Anfang geholt
wusetup.cat
wuweb.cat
;	Sortiert
basecsp.cat
hdaudio.cat
scriptde.cat
xml3sp7.cat
xml4sp2.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]

Last edited by mikelm (2006-10-09 09:30:44)

Results:

make winnt.sif with nlite

1. Pure xp pro sp2 only with winnt.sif   -> no desktop.ini  and svcpack.inf was ok no logotest issue

2. Pure xp pro sp2 with driverpack and base 6.10 and winnt.sif  -> f*ck desktop.ini and svcpack.inf was corrupted , no logotest issue

3. Pure xp pro sp2 + sereby´s updatepack + winnt.sif + driverpack  and base 6.10 -> f*ck desktop.ini and svcpack.inf was ok but logotest not solved with "microsoft kernel audiomixer"

Last edited by mikelm (2006-10-09 09:19:17)

Please submit the corrupted svcpack.inf issue to the bugtracker. Do not forget to upload the corrupted svcpack.inf file as well as the original non-corrupted one.

for what is this bug tracker for ?  and need i a new account there?
i didn´t know my password here ,because i use cookies and so i forgot it ..

mikelm wrote:

for what is this bug tracker for ?  and need i a new account there?
i didn´t know my password here ,because i use cookies and so i forgot it ..

Yes, currently you still need to set up a different account for that (though preferably with the same username).

Note that you can change your password in your profile wink

Note that you can change your password in your profile wink

to change it i must know th old one !  not a good hint ....

i go to bed now .. please put the things to bugtracker .. i´m to tiered and lazy for this now ..

Last edited by mikelm (2006-10-09 09:33:33)

FACTS:

xp pro sp2 + sereby´s + base 6.086 -> no desktop.ini issue...

xp pro sp2 + sereby´s + base 6.10   -> destop.ini issue

how long will you say that there is no fault by the base when then facts are clear?
I´m very angry to waste the whole week to check this out which i have said since last week that there is a bug in the base but you still says there is not!

@mike  Nobody is claiming you are wrong.  It's just nobody has seen your bug before and it is a difficult one to reproduce. The DriverPacks roject is still a work in progress.  Allthough it is pretty rock solid it still may have it's kinks.  Bashrat has asked you to submit it to the bugtracker cause that is where he likes bugs listed... so he can easily look through that list and work on each bug.  That way none of the bugs are forgotten.  It may be an incompatability with the new dpbase and sereby's updatepack.

Is your svcpack.inf file a unicode file?

@siginet: i have told since last week that there is a issue in the base , but wim all the time says that not possible and no one has this issue too. but if you read the threads also some other people have it ,so i´m  not alone . and i spend the whole week for testing and find the reference, and now i have found the facts , but i have no motivation to subribe also to the bugtracker , to put there the same information as here . if you like  put it there. i have to test the same sh*t for xp home because there are some other issues to, also the silly desktop.ini.

i think the the base makes some bad tweaks so the normally hidden DESKTOP.INI file is now visible and as erveryone know , files in the autostartfolder are execute during startup, and so the dekstop.ini would be opend with the notepad. perhaps this would be a hint for wim to check the fault...

Oh dear,
I think I know how Mikhelm feels.

there's that other thread, where I started that elimiation process by using halves of half.
Back home, when I was doing exactly that, I almost started swearing at myself because, well, because...
When I thought it over, I figured out where I broke the process, so I dood it all over.
But I would still bust my head against the wall when the process broke for reasons I could not remedy nor look into.
However, I don't swear at Wim.
I dragged an 95 year young bloke off the street and vented my frustrations on him...
Little did I know he got called Sue...
Mr Yang is now my sensei...

btw, opened a new one in forum feedback

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-10-10 07:17:55)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I'm sorry mikelm, but try to put yourself in my place: it's a bug that only popped up during betatesting, and even then it was not sure that it was caused by the DriverPack Sound B. And it's STILL only you, jtdoom, and some one else. There's no known way to reproduce it, and therefore no known way to remove the bug.

My best guess is that it's caused by the implementation of KTD: since the last versions it moves the directories instead of copying them. That's really the only true change since version 6.08.6 (apart from bug fixes, which certainly have not caused it). Now, if you move the C:\D\whatever directory to C:\WINDOWS\DriverPacks\, how do you think that would cause the desktop.ini file to be opened?

As I said, this problem is so obscure, that it will be very difficult to track the exact cause.

where is the problem that you use my winnt.sif an try it at home ?
i thin k you have a  pro or homeedition , and you able to use nlite and sereby´s updatepack ,so where ist the big deal ?
you didn´t do anythingelse as take xp pro or home  sp2, then sereby´s updatepack an copie the winnt.sif into i386 and apply your driverpack with same konfiguration as we do .. then you must have the sameresults , because we are 3 people withthe same problems and different xp versins ... thinkabout it ...

what is the problem to understand , that something of your base is modify the attributes from the dekstop.ini in autostart from the current user, and also know is that everything in autostart is opend or startet during startup. so a file with extension .ini was opend by notepad. hope all things are now clear...

for you again: somethin in the base konfig must be chance the system and hidden attribut from the desktop.ini in the startupfolder.  so it is visible and now was opend.

open command window -  go to autostart folder - make a attrib -s -h desktop.ini  and reboot ...

what happen?  right .. desktop.ini was opend in notepad ...

clear now ?

Last edited by mikelm (2006-10-10 08:30:06)

No need for that harsh tone.

1) I do not touch the startup directory.

2) Not a single attribute is changed by the Finisher.

If things were that simple, they would have been solved already.

the offending desktop.ini normally resides at

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Menu Start

this somehow gets to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Start\Programma's\Opstarten
from where it launches.

my winnt.sif has settings to set locale, so that may trigger it.

EDIT;
THIS IS A WRONG REPORT <<
no winnt.sif, no desktop ini
no KTD, no winnt.sif, no desktop ini
KTD, no winnt.sif, no desktop ini
winnt.sif, desktop.ini<<
END WRONG REPORT

next I will get rid of the localisation in winnt.sif, even when I would have to localise during setup...

Mr Sue Yang smiles

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-10-11 11:41:23)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

OOPS
post 21 proves my memory is not reliable

winnt.sif somehow triggered the corruption of svcpack.in_

the desktop.ini launching from startup in programs is triggered by something I have not found yet....

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Try to delete the QSC folder in your dbase install folder.
Run dbase without quick stream cache, and disable KTD

This fixed it for me.

I first tought this was some swichless install, so i tried to slipdtream all my post sp2 update, softwares and other stuff with nlite, then installed this test cd in vmware.  ?t worked, i then sliptream the my driverpacks to this cd, but deleted the QSC folder before i process it, just to accelerate my troubleshouting process i decided to disable ktd also(i dont realy need this stuff).  And It it work.  I then paste my $oem (switchless install) folder to my cd and corrected my winnt.sif file.  Still work.

Must be the QSC folder or KTD. 

But i bet on QSC, since you say disabeling ktd didnt do the trick...
Does not make much sense but h*ll, i have no god damn desktop.ini on reboot.

For those who are stuck with a desktop.ini startup and do not want to slipstream again:
RUN msconfig and uncheck desktop under stratup. This will "hide" the problem.

Good luck

QSC is simply a cache from where the compressed drivers are copied into the \$OEM$\$1 directory. I do not see how that could affect the desktop.ini problem - though we must keep all possibilities open.

I think jtdoom is closer though.

when I get it, all I do is get to start, programs menu, and Rightclick/delete it out of startup...

have just built the Royale machine.
Unfortunately, the shop had used the ATI card I had ordered for a quick repair, and I got an Nvidia 7300GT with some discount.

interesting mobo for tests, I dare say
it has IT8212F  (Raid 0+1 or JBOD), has ICH7R (0+1 and 5), and SIL3132 (0+1), which makes connections possible for 6 IDE drives and six SATA...
the case can accommodate plenty drives...
this will become a workhorse after I tested its guts.
it had HDaudio too... what better things to do for burnin tests than running variants of setup with various builds.

and yes, with RVM hotfixes and addons, plus base6086 these updating screens also come up (one of wich is updating desktop), but the ini does not launch in notepad.
(did not do KTD with 6086. the first test was with a really slow hard drive, so I could see what came up... with RAID drives in it it just goes a little too fast to read the updating popups)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.