Re: Installing WinXP Pro on RAID (DP_Base_1006)

OverFlow wrote:

because we like to banter while we wait for you to come back tongue

lol, fair enough tongue

on a completely unrelated note but something that might make you scratch your head like I did...

My roommate has one of those Sony Google TV's... I saw USB ports and went, "Awesome! I have almost 2tb's worth of my DVD collection ripped into AVI's (Seriously, I filled an external so when I deploy I don't have to lug around 300 DVDs, I just bring my drive..)!"

Well, come to find out that with all their tech-know-how, neither company decided that allowing the tv to read NTFS was a good idea.. So I took my 2tb external, and soon discovered Windows will only let me make 4 partitions.  Four 32gb partitions and 1.7tb of unallocated space, if we want to use my external with the tv anyway... Really guys? awesome job doing your R&D... :facepalm: wink

it's prolly Linux based... try formatting a drive with a Linux distro and see how you fair that way wink.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

it's prolly Linux based... try formatting a drive with a Linux distro and see how you fair that way wink.

might be, but he's borrowing it from a business partner, knowing my luck, I'd brick it and I've got enough money issues without having to replace someone's tv.. I doubt he'd want my 25 year old 32" tube as a replacement...

hooking up an external drive wont do anything to his TV it will either work or it won't...

you do have another option... use partition magic to create a fat32 partition... you can easily create 128 gig partitions. You can actually make them even larger but for reasons i don't wish to include in the scope of this discussion i would not recommend it.

the actual limit of fat32 partitions is much larger than windows will allow you to create. (in theory its 2 TB)
third party applications will create them and windows will use them without complaint, you can even run chkdsk on them.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

hooking up an external drive wont do anything to his TV it will either work or it won't...

you do have another option... use partition magic to create a fat32 partition... you can easily create 128 gig partitions. You can actually make them even larger but for reasons i don't wish to include in the scope of this discussion i would not recommend it.

If I was really feeling adventurous.. I'd grab my original xbox from the garage (DVD drive burned out on it), bring it inside and swap the dvd drive from my other original xbox, load up everything I need to turn it into a networked media center, then swap the drives back so I can play games still.. But I've been saying I would do that for about 4 years now.. hmm

Also been saying my VW would be back on the road for about 3 years (did a full engine rebuild, just need to chase out some electrical gremlins and sync the carbs), got a motorcycle I bought last year that needs some more tweaking (had to rebuild it's engine too..), and I'm sure I've started at least 2 or 3 other projects.. sad

sounds like my life... i hear you loud and clear.

One might want to be careful if that's sensitive data being plugged in.  Just in case.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/smart_tv_pwned/

OverFlow wrote:

"I could have made the same argument for video cards... if a video card has an issue it can make anything happen, including cause your floppy to fail. A bad video card can make it "anything can happen day". I have fixed some VERY obscure issues by swapping out the video card... believe it or don't."

I'm there now.  I haven't refurbed this system for over a year; Maintenance overdue.  Same with my refurbed P/S; it could use some upgrades internally.

2 P/S', now 3 in a row; ordinarily wouldn't one say that if the floppies work on other systems that it would have to be one of Mobo, P/S, or cable, possibly damage on or to the mainboard.  Video seemed too far upstream. If supported, one could use a 8M (or is it less?)  PCI Video card for testing puposes (decade+ old-school).  That BIOS battery has the most favorable risk/reward ratio (reset load Optimized BIOS defaults imm. after).

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-13 16:23:29)

the MD has a built in video card.. I supposed I could have tried that when I was still in the "I'm having fun opening my case every 3 minutes to unplug/plug things in" (it's a Cooler Master haf932 Advanced, so it's not a pain to open, just a hassle to get out of my chair, sit on the floor and reach in..)

at this point I'm kinda done, like I said way back when, I don't want you guys to go through work adding things to the pack for a motherboard that was obsolete a couple of years ago.. that just seems counterproductive to me.. I do appreciate all the ideas you threw at me, but really I don't think I'm gonna be doing anything with it until I upgrade either the MB/CPU or the OS, and since the computer still does what I need it to do (surf the web and watch AVI's) then buying new hardware is kinda low on my priority list.. I'm just doing "manual" RAID right now (copy files to two different drives).. : shrug :