Re: Create new MassStorage with only One RAID driver

Whoops; i missed your comments OverFlow.

"IDK why you were not immediately pointed to this thread..."

That was "my bad".

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-09 07:41:41)

Caleb37 wrote:

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?s2l55tw1w1z6s6a

I think I'm getting good at this BBCode... :-)

Yes, I have a clean source without any nLite.

Please start to use code tags as well ... see your previous post with your HWIDs to see how i "fixed' your post big_smile.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

@TechDud

Will you make sure that this duplicate is fixed in the mass storage pack next time you are in there?
NO Duplicates allowed, so if you see any others stomp them out!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I would like to apologize to everyone that i got here so late in the game!

You guys did an awesome job on this issue though!
Thanks for jumping in and running with the ball!

Jeff Herre
DriverPacks admin

OverFlow wrote:
Caleb37 wrote:

MSFN told me I couldn't remove DPBase packs from an nLite source after the fact, yet I wrote a batch file that did exactly that, including replacing the original nLite files in the I386 folder.

Not exactly true, DriverPacks can be removed IF DriverPacks was the LAST step in your process. big_smile

OverFlow thank you for your voice.  It's nice to see others join in.  DriverPacks is always the last thing I do prior to creating and ISO. Also the source of DriverPacks is maintained in the OEM folder so replicating what I did 3 years ago was simple enough and I managed to reverse the process to give me a clean nLite source again. I new that I would not be adding hotfixes, or anything else, other than DriverPacks back to nLite. That would have bricked my original creation.  It just means more updates when I get into the OS.

OverFlow wrote:

you could add your textmode driver in nLite then add DriverPacks... and that would work IF there was not a HWID conflict in the pack, which there is. HINT: remove the section(s) {there is normally only one wink} of the Mass Storage INI with conflicting HWIDs big_smile HINT 2: set MScount to 0 (zero) will disable a section...

This part is not true.  When you add TEXTMODE single driver through nLite, either before or after DriverPacks, and trust me I've tried both ways, the two sources conflict with each other because they both write to many of the same files. Not only that nLite adds iaStor.Sy_ and this folder NLDRV with the RST package in a subdirectory in the I386 folder.  They are referenced, I believe, in the txtsetup and dosnet, and a few other files, which DriverPacks seems to do as well.  So they appear to be receiving direction from two different sources and I think this is what causes the conflict.  When I tried using TEXTMODE Single Driver through nLite and then adding DriverPacks, I did not include MassStorage pack because I was certain this wouldn't work. But that being said, just including the Chipset, LAN, WLAN, and SoundB at the end WOULD not work.  It creates a BSOD even before Windows setup load files. The two broke each other.

OverFlow wrote:

nLite first then DriverPacks. If you do DriverPacks last then you can always remove DriverPacks. (to remove DriverPacks simply run DriverPacks BASE on your source with no packs selected wink.

We never recommend using nLite, it really wacks the source, however if your not comfortable or experienced with OS installation it can be helpful. Just be aware it is a really messy thing to do to your source. But if it works for you on this one machine then go for it.

I use to be very proficient with nLite and learned things through a lot of collaboration and have enjoyed the company of nLite along with the DriverPacks.  With nLite, if you do things in a correct and very specific order, you can rein in it's power. However, hardware has changed from those days and obviously XP 32 bit is becoming something of the past, and Intel has pretty much decided to write it out anyway, though MS will support is until 2014.

I've coaster-ed about 20 discs in the last few days in learning how DriverPacks really works with the help of damnation and Techdud. This was not a bad thing.  Ultimately the challenge was met, when I was told on other forums it was impossible.  That's why I joined this forum to learn and I also received an understanding of HWIDs and the conflicts they can cause.

All of you guys are awesome.  Again, I haven't started working on my XP system yet and if you'd like me to run any other test, now's the time to say so. 

I always maintain clean sources to work with.  I'm guessing if you're wanting to test something it would the MassStorage driver pack without the duplicate hwid listings and possible with the iaStor package I provided?  Just guessing.  If so let me know, but please modify the pack and let me know where to download it versus me trying to duplicate the effort. I offer this because of the unique situation with my hardware and Windows XP 32 bit.

I've been learning the tags, thank you for cleaning them up.  I'll try to be better with it as I go.  If it's incorrect, I'd rather you complain to me about it so that I know it should be fixed.

Kindest Regards - Larry

Please be aware that is how DriverPacks got its start.

Wim Leers our founder (AKA Bâshrat the Sneaky) was laughed off of the MSFN forum for suggesting that the DriverPacks project was possable.

Please take a moment and find Bâshrat the Sneaky on MSFN and see for yourself. Obviously it was not and is not impossible.

Anything that can be done in nLite can be done without it... and in a better manner.
NOTE: I do use nLite myself big_smile. however i use it for very few and very specific things...
IE The create ISO function is very useful.

Never let anyone make you belive something is impossable, do as you have done let it motivate you big_smile.

If you have access to hardware and don't mind reloading a machine when you have time I'll add you to the testing team...
NOTE: i keep a second partition on my HDD just for testing new builds of my unattended installs wink

Jeff

Caleb37 wrote:

This part is not true.  When you add TEXTMODE single driver through nLite, either before or after DriverPacks, and trust me I've tried both ways, the two sources conflict with each other because they both write to many of the same files. Not only that nLite adds iaStor.Sy_ and this folder NLDRV with the RST package in a subdirectory in the I386 folder.  They are referenced, I believe, in the txtsetup and dosnet, and a few other files, which DriverPacks seems to do as well.  So they appear to be receiving direction from two different sources and I think this is what causes the conflict.  When I tried using TEXTMODE Single Driver through nLite and then adding DriverPacks, I did not include MassStorage pack because I was certain this wouldn't work. But that being said, just including the Chipset, LAN, WLAN, and SoundB at the end WOULD not work.  It creates a BSOD even before Windows setup load files. The two broke each other.

TRUST ME... I know exactly how this all works. I am not wrong. tongue

PLEASE re-read what i posted above

that would work IF there was not a HWID conflict in the pack, which there is.

All true.  And in doing all of my research with this the Forum, I did read up on Wim Leers.  It's like preparing for a job interview, you should always research the history of the company.  I think he and think a lot alike and are very interested in challenges.  This is called Motivation and why I enjoy being in the IT industry. 

nLite for me was a learning experience and honestly I no longer use it.  But I had a creation from 2009 that worked very well and I didn't want to re-create that from scratch.  Sometimes perfection is at its highest the 1st time.

Overflow, when I get my current rig up and running with XP, I'll create a new partition for Windows 7 x64 as a dual boot.  I also have another rig, Ivy Bridge Z77 Chipset, that will be getting Windows 8. Between these two I'll create a partition that I can work from as a platform to do anything I can help you with here.  I'll let you when that's ready.

Thank you.

Welcome to the testing team...

You will find that several new forums are now visible to you.

Thanks for being here and all that you bring to our forum.

Jeff

OverFlow wrote:
Caleb37 wrote:

TRUST ME... I know exactly how this all works. I am not wrong. tongue

PLEASE re-read what i posted above

that would work IF there was not a HWID conflict in the pack, which there is.

Caleb37 wrote:

What pack are you referring to?  Remember used nLite to do a single TEXTMODE driver with the Intel RST RAID Driver for my setup.  I then used DriverPacks to deploy the chipset, lan, wlan, and soundb as the very last step.  So where would you find a hwid problem?

It is true... wink  ... there was a big "IF"  in that statement

you're having some issues with nested quotes... fixed for ya big_smile

did you see my last post big_smile

OverFlow wrote:

Welcome to the testing team...

You will find that several new forums are now visible to you.

Thanks for being here and all that you bring to our forum.

Caleb37 wrote:

- Thank you, Larry

Jeff

I'll figure them out.  I think need a sandbox to play in for these tags :-)

play with that last one and see if you can get it yourslef...  LOL

I like you guys.  You have the attitude that me and my IT colleagues have in our help desk testing environment. 

Let me give you a small, short history of myself.

I work for Walmart.com in San Bruno, CA.  As stated, in Client Services...  we get clobbered and bruised every day being the front line for hardware, network, and exchange woes.  So I'm no stranger to black eyes.

I'm currently one of three employees beta testing Windows 8 for our Enterprise environment.

The reason I've been on line the last several days is because I'm on a short term leave after having two surgeries in as many weeks to have stents placed into two of my arteries. I'm a young 47 year old, but might as well be a kid. I have suffered through two heart attacks in 3 and half years. They haven't knocked me down yet.  It's a hereditary condition as I weigh in at 150lbs with a good diet.  I do NOT believe stress has anything to do with this.  I take a lot in stride.  You have to in this line of work.

So there you have it.

R U familiar with Three Dead Trolls in a baggie?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp … mp;bih=877

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL24aNugo_4

New uEFI BIOS released by ASUS yesterday for P9x79 Deluxe.
  http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ … /#download

Fernando has some interesting things posted concerning firmware.
http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208-spe … extracted/

Fernando wrote:

"Users with an Intel C600 (e.g. X79) Series SATA RAID Controller will get TRIM into their SSD RAID0, if they are able to use an actual Intel RST driver(s)/RAID ROM combination v11.x.x.xxxx (precondition: the mainboard manufacturer offers a BIOS containing such Intel RAID ROM version)."
  Quoted from: http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/vi … =74#p16818

I acknowledge that this is going on a bit of a tangent, so if neither is relevant then please disregard.
I'm not advising "modding" your uEFI BIOS.  Posted to inform, not as advice.

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-09 12:18:45)

In addition:

It would appear that DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1209\D\M\L
   does not actually conflict with VEN_8086&DEV_2826&SUBSYS_84EF1043
as that specific HWid is not present in MegaSR.inf.

Not even with the updated files in DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1212b2
(under constuction - MegaSR now WHQL'ed for 2k3, XP-OK though non-WHQL'ed;
      DriverVer=08/11/2012,15.00.0811.2012).

"==================
Known Restrictions
==================
1. Intel(R) ESRT2 based on Intel(R) C600 chipset does not support UEFI functionality. A UEFI driver is planned/expected to be made available post-launch, but there will be no GUI available in UEFI for configuring arrays.

2. The on-board SATA/SAS Capable Controller does not support ODD devices.No Optical Devices should be connected to the SATA/SAS controller at any time (ODD devices are not supported in any mode), but the onboard AHCI capable ports do support ODD devices (in all modes).

3. RAID 5 feature is enabled only if the appropriate Intel(R) RAID C600 Upgrade Key is present in the system. 

4. A RAID 5 logical drive can recover from a single drive failure by reconstructing missing data from the data and parity contained on the remaining drives. The assumption underlying this ability is that the data in the remaining drives is consistent. This assumption becomes invalid if there is a power loss during write operation(s). If there is a loss of power during a write operation, data inconsistencies may occur because data and parity writes may have completed only partially. After subsequent reboot the logical drive has inconsistent data on that particular stripe. If a drive were to fail at this point, missing data (for the inconsistent stripe alone) cannot be reconstructed from remaining drives. To correct an inconsistency, the drivers starts a back ground initialization (BGI) at reboot. While BGI is in progress, the inconsistent stripe(s) are vulnerable to drive failure. One way to avoid this window of vulnerability is to run check consistency on the logical drive using the BIOS utility. Another way is to prevent an unplanned shutdown (e.g. using UPS).

5. The LITE-ON SH S752K model CD/DVD ROM device does not respond to 0x55 & 0x51 MMC commands properly. The device hangs when these commands are issued multiple times. The driver resets the device when it hangs; but the reset adversely affects DVD burning. This behavior can be consistently observed using K3B DVD burning software. K3B aborts DVD writes when 0x55 is failed and device is reset.

6. RAID 5, by its very nature, cannot tolerate double failures. The double failure can be a combination of a single drive failure and either additional drive failures or an unplanned power failure in the RAID system. Unplanned power failures can include but be not limited to, loss of power source or an unusual system shutdown. Unplanned power failures while there are medium errors on the drives is also considered as a double failure condition.

7. Multiple drive failures would result in a data loss condition. A single drive failure combined with any additional unplanned failure can cause loss of data integrity. To avoid loss of data integrity for the power failure case, it is highly recommended to provide an uninterrupted power supply to the server to protect the RAID 5 subsystem during the event of a degraded or rebuilding state. Medium errors on the disks, combined with an unplanned power failure can also cause loss of data integrity, but this occurrence would be very unlikely.

8. Hotplug limitation in runtime 
If the user pulls out or plugs in a drive when the Intel(R) ESRT2 OpROM has completed its execution, and before the OS driver is loaded (like DOS shell, or AHCI?Ctrl-M screen, etc), the OpROM's runtime code displays a message and force reboot the system to avoid configuration losses or data corruption. 

9. Maximum two storage controllers supported 
If the user tries to enable SATA/SAS Capable Controller and AHCI Capable SATA Controller in Intel(R) ESRT2 mode concurrently, and then inserts any external storage controller (for example, a Hardware RAID adapter), the last controller in the boot sequence might not be able to POST. 

10. Windows installation limitation in RAID Mode: 
If Windows installation is done on a drive connected through the AHCI capable SATA Controller, make sure SATA/SAS Capable Controller is disabled in BIOS. After completion of installation, the SATA/SAS Capable Controller can be enabled in BIOS. If both controllers are enabled in Intel(R) ESRT2 mode, the installation may fail.

11. BIOS communicates the presence/absence of specific Intel(R) RAID C600 Upgrade key (RKSATA4R5, RKSATA8R5, RKSAS4R5 and RKSAS8R5) using configuration data on disk (DDF) and through device registers from BIOS. If driver does not read a valid DDF, it will disable R5 creation. The driver may not see valid DDF if (A) user does not configure using BIOS Ctrl+M; or (B) if no drives were present at the boot time and all the drives were hot-inserted after OS is booted. In both cases, the user must create an initial configuration using BIOS Ctrl+M utility."

Quoted from http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20963/e … Readme.TXT
I only posted that to aid my wondering if the ven_8086&dev_2826&cc_0104 hardware/drivers have similar limitations.
If i see similar notes for that, i will post it.

The driver in I4 is restricted in MS.ini to 2k3 only.  Is that the real issue?
Would unrestricting XP textmode for that driver be another solution, despite being an RSTe driver?
ASUS does claim that your hardware is designed to be able to run RSTe (and RST as you have noted).

I will proceed based upon that deduction.

It would be interesting to see if the "BIOS" does indeed contrain the necessary modules and versions of modules to properly support this, as noted by Fernando.

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-09 13:37:09)

Here is an excerpt from the release notes for RSTe_Drivers_GUI_CIM_CLI_3.5.1.1009_2012.10.08.zip
which updates "I4".

"==========================
Supported RAID Controllers
==========================
This download provides support for the Intel(R) C600/C222/C224/C226 chipsets on both AHCI Capable SATA Controller and SATA/SAS Capable Controller in Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (RSTe) mode. 

Please verify that this package has been tested with the RAID device you have chosen to use by checking the drivers web page for your controller 
at [url]http://support.intel.com[/url].

===================
Package Information
===================
Package Version = 3.5.1.1009
The iaStorA driver version is 3.5.1.1008
The iaStorS driver version is 3.5.1.1008
The iaStorA Win8/Win2012 driver version is 3.5.1.1008
The iaStorS Win8/Win2012 driver version is 3.5.1.1008
OS supported = Microsoft* Windows 2012 (x64), Windows 8 (x86 & x64), Windows 2008R2 (x64), Windows 7 (x86 & x64), Windows 2008 (x86 & x64),
                          Windows Vista (x86 & x64), Windows 2003 R2SP2 (x86 & x64)

==========
Attention!
==========
This release resolves Standby Immediate issue with SSD's.

==================
Known Restrictions
==================
1. SAS features are enabled on SATA/SAS Capable Controller if appropriate Intel(R) RAID C600 Upgrade Key is present in the system.
2. RAID 5 is no longer supported by SATA/SAS Capable Controller when SAS features are enabled.
3. Boot through expander is not supported in legacy mode at this time.
4. MPIO Load Balancing in RAID Mode is unsupported
5. A SAS Wide port spanning SCU0 and SCU1 is not supported.
6. Plugging both SCU into the same expander is not supported
7. Some WD 6G SAS drives (S25/S35 family) are not supported
8. POST messages are displayed only if more than one drive is attached.
9. Performing a RAID Migration/Rebuild may not result in all of the appropriate LEDs blinking correctly.
10. A manual verify/repair may be required after an unexpected shutdown with running heavy I/O on a RAID volume.
11. RAID volume names should be less than 16 characters."

Quoted from:  http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21752/e … readme.txt

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-09 19:22:15)

I did something similar to the MassStorage.ini modification and resulted with the same textmode pre-partitioning "iastorA.sys could not be found".  Ref. http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 149#p50149
The funny thing is that now that xp textmode is referenced in MS.ini, the iastorA.sy_ compressed file was included this time in i386.

Mind you, this test was on an abortive install attempt on intel hardware much more aged.

Here's my [I4] section:

[I4]
; 3.2.0.1126 
ms_count=2
ms_1_deviceName="Intel C600 SATA AHCI-RAID RST Enterprise"
ms_1_tag="iaStorA"
ms_1_sysFile="iaStorA.sys"
ms_1_hwids="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826&CC_0104,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D02&CC_0106"
ms_1_isBusExtender=false
ms_1_exc_skipIfOS="w2k"
;
ms_2_deviceName="Intel C600 SATA RAID RST Enterprise"
ms_2_tag="iaStorS"
ms_2_sysFile="iaStorS.sys"
ms_2_hwids="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D60,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D61,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D64,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D65,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D68,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D69,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6A,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B"
ms_2_isBusExtender=false
ms_2_exc_skipIfOS="w2k"

After renaming the iastorA.sys executable to .sys.exe, i used Silurian Software's InspectExe to look at the list of Imports for the file itself which revealed a dependancy on ntoskrnl.exe's RtlGetVersion function.

Apparently, that is an OS version check.
  Long story short, it doesn't seem to like XP, yet apparently works great on 2k3 for at least one member.
  Ref. http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5883

It does appear that this issue has been ongoing.
  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5960   http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6051

I'm inclined to restrict this section once again to 2k3 & simply add the driver referenced much earlier in this topic by Caleb37.  I did find two seperate OEM links from ASUS for the same RSTe driver which included an RST folder.

One has to wonder what effect that would wreak upon 2k3 users, though.  hmm

Efforting....to wait for a response or three.  Please hold.

Last edited by TechDud (2012-12-09 19:25:43)

OverFlow wrote:
Damnation wrote:

OEM LINK

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … ldID=20963

If he ever comes back, I've noticed that this hardware ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2826

only uses megasr.sys in the OEM driver, same in driverpacks. but driverpacks has the addition of iaStorA.sys also with that HWID.

If mass-storage.ini is edited to remove this HWID from iaStorA.sys I think it'll work.

Duplicate HWIDs are not permitted... this is an error in the pack.

I haven't been looking at the test packs that you guys have been posting lately, but the last pack I built was 1210r1 and it does NOT have that generic HWID in the .ini.  That partial HWID (with either &CC*** or &SUBSYS***) is listed in these sections: [L](sub-section-8) and [I4](sub-section-1).  There's no overlap.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

"the last pack I built was 1210r1"

Sorry, i missed that.  I cannot seem to find it.  Where can I get it?

Last edited by TechDud (2013-02-06 14:58:30)

TechDud wrote:

Where can I get it?

I never uploaded it.  It was the last pack I was building before my new job took all my time away.
If you REALLY want it, I'll upload it.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!