Re: Cant find Etronxhcic.sys XP phase1

"the wdfldr service is running"

Well having that service running seems to be the largest issue, as this would leave many with an error added to the Event Log every reboot.

[lark]Think of "those guys" that phone people, claiming to be from Microsoft with important invalid license information, pointing people to run the Event Viewer.  They would indeed have a field day with that one, i gather, if they were still active.[/lark]

"but I don't have the real hardware to test this with."

At any rate, that doesn't seem to pass the test of whether it is a net benefit for the majority of users that are without Fresco or VIAlabs USB 3.0 Host Controller/Hubs.  I can't even begin to think the implications security-wise; extending support in textmode could allow a wide variety of input devices (etc.), though - so that may be desirable as a 3rd-party RVMi addon.  big_smile  That way, Fresco/VIA could end up as a 3rd-Party DriverPack, for those with such HW.

What does this MS pack even do under PE (with or without Fresco/VIAlabs)?  There are some yet unasked questions concerning any of these USB 3.0 drivers.  Ultimate Boot, etc...???  There should be some basic testing.

Whatever the final solution, there is no sense rushing it out the door, until it passes some basic testing.  That is the whole point of DriversPacks.  Without testing, things like that nV driver, version 19x.xx or something, that shut off most boards' cooling fans, and well... that was indeed bad.  Didn't end up in DP's, though, iirc.

I'm still stuck on discs at the moment, so every time i try this i'm looking at a 3hr turnaround, so i'm on hold on this for a while.

"RL" prevails.

PS:  Have you thought about joining the testing team?

Comments?  hmm

Last edited by TechDud (2012-11-25 21:45:31)

KMDF is troublesome isn't it,

I'm inclined to agree that Fresco/VIA should be left out for now.

Sure, how do i join?

Last edited by Damnation (2012-11-15 17:52:07)

I just noticed,

the HWIDs given to wdfldr and wdf01000

arent being written to txtsetup.sif - they seem to be ignored

but they are being written for the lines below eg viahub3, xhcdrv

Damnation wrote:

Sure, how do i join?

You just did. wink
You'll notice that several new forums have been opened to you.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

You just did. wink
You'll notice that several new forums have been opened to you.

Thanks very much! appreciate it.

I think I've solved the wdf01000 error and leftover file.

I had trouble getting DP BASE to add a DLL file to txtsetup.sif, so I ended up doing this manually

I CAB compressed WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

renamed to

wdf1009.dll

added wdf1009.dll to \I386

added to txtsetup.sif

[SourceDisksFiles]

wdf1009.dll=1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

no more error or left over wdf01000

it still needs testing on real hardware though, anyone able to test?

attached txtsetup.sif and edf1009.dll

http://www.mediafire.com/?3gb5cz0uqsh22z8

Also, is there a way to get DP BASE to accept a DLL file in massstorage.ini?
I could never get it to work

Changing extension from DLL to SYS seems to do it.

but the SCSI sections make it freeze on "MS Kernel-Mode Driver Framework v1.9"

So is there a way to tell DP BASE to add

[SourceDisksFiles]

wdf1009.sys=1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

and nothing else?
(and also to accept DLL files too?)

Disregard my last 2 posts, but I think I've discovered something else in the meantime

I've only been testing with a VM, but it seems that the Fresco and VIA drivers are happy without WDFLDR and WDF01000 being referenced in txtsetup.sif at all! (weird?)

Seems like that Fresco/VIA are happy with WDFLDR.sys and WDF01000.sys simply being present in the I386 folder

txtsetup.sif and sys files

http://www.mediafire.com/?07i270fej7z4xe7

If this works, Can DP BASE compress and add sys files to I386 folder without adding unnecessary entries to txtsetup.sif?

In Win 8, would WDF01000's parallel be "Ucx01000.sys" in the xHCI stack?
   see first graphic --> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx  hmm

Quoted from above link:
"The USB 3.0 stack is new in Windows 8. Microsoft created the new drivers by using Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) interfaces. The KMDF driver model reduces complexity and improves stability.
USB 3.0 host controller driver (Usbxhci.sys)

The xHCI driver is the USB 3.0 host controller driver. The responsibilities of the xHCI driver include initializing MMIO registers and host memory-based data structures for xHCI controller hardware, mapping transfer requests from upper layer drivers to Transfer Request Blocks, and submitting the requests to the hardware. After completing a transfer, the driver handles transfer completion events from the hardware and propagates the events up the driver stack. It also controls the xHCI controller device slots and endpoint contexts.

The xHCI driver is new in Windows 8 and is not an extension of the eHCI miniport driver that was available in earlier versions of the operating system. The new driver was written by using Kernel Mode Driver Framework (KMDF) interfaces and uses KMDF for all controller power management and PnP events. Windows loads the xHCI driver as the function device object (FDO) in the device stack for the host controller.
USB host controller extension (Ucx01000.sys)

The USB host controller extension driver (an extension to KMDF) is the new extension to the underlying class-specific host controller driver, such as the xHCI driver. The new driver is extensible and is designed to support other types of host controller drivers that are expected to be developed in the future. The USB host controller extension serves as a common abstracted interface to the hub driver, provides a generic mechanism for queuing requests to the host controller driver, and overrides certain selected functions. All I/O requests initiated by upper drivers reach the host controller extension driver before the xHCI driver. Upon receiving an I/O request, the host controller extension validates the request and then forwards the request to the proper KMDF queue associated with the target endpoint. The xHCI driver, when ready for processing, retrieves the request from the queue. The responsibilities of the USB host controller extension driver are:

Provides USB-specific objects to the xHCI driver.
    Provides KMDF event callback routines to the xHCI driver.
    Manages and control the operations of the root hub associated with the host controller.
    Implements features that are configurable by the client driver, like chained MDLs, streams, and so on.

USB hub driver (Usbhub3.sys)

The new hub driver, in the USB driver stack for 3.0 devices, uses the KMDF driver model. The hub driver primarily performs these tasks:

Manages USB hubs and their ports.
    Enumerates devices and other hubs attached to their downstream ports.
    Creates physical device objects (PDOs) for the enumerated devices and hubs.

Windows loads the hub driver as the FDO in the hub device stack. Device enumeration and hub management in the new driver are implemented through a set of state machines. The hub driver relies on KMDF for power management and PnP functions. In addition to hub management, the hub driver also performs preliminary checks and processing of certain requests sent by the USB client driver layer. For instance, the hub driver parses a select-configuration request to determine which endpoints will be configured by the request. After parsing the information, the hub driver submits the request to the USB host controller extension or further processing. "

ArnoBosch wrote:

"VMWare seems to support USB 3.0 on a Windows host system only with NEC xHCI-drivers."
Quoted from:  http://communities.vmware.com/message/2139363#2139363

edit:  oops, i see that i added this last quote after you posted the following:

Last edited by TechDud (2012-11-17 20:44:17)

TechDud wrote:

In Win 8, would WDF01000's parallel be "Ucx01000.sys" in the xHCI stack?
   see first graphic --> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx  hmm

Seems like it,
but how does that apply to this?

Damnation wrote:

I've only been testing with a VM, but it seems that the Fresco and VIA drivers are happy without WDFLDR and WDF01000 being referenced in txtsetup.sif at all! (weird?)

Which VM do you use? Does the VM emulate a USB 3 hardware?
Can you test real USB 3 Fresco and VIA hardware?

Does setup copy wdlfdr.sys to hard disk at textmode that way?
What about first reboot from hard disk?
Do you expect to read files from Fresco and VIA USB 3, e.g. expand DriverPacks packages to hard disk.

At least one txtsetup.sif/dosnet.inf  entry is required.
Maybe more. Real hardware testing is required still.

Which VM do you use? Does the VM emulate a USB 3 hardware?

I use VMware, I assume it would have some USB 3 emulation, haven't checked

Can you test real USB 3 Fresco and VIA hardware?

Unfortunately I don't have real hardware to test

Does setup copy wdlfdr.sys to hard disk at textmode that way?

If wdfldr.sys/wdf01000.sys is in the I386 folder, but not referenced in txtsetup.sif, it seems that the Fresco/VIA drivers are happy (no file not found error halting setup) and it's not copied to the hard drive after setup,
thus no post-install errors (which was a problem, but seems fixed now.)

If wdfldr.sys/wdf01000.sys are in the massstorage.ini it puts them in the SCSI section of txtsetup.sif and that causes errors post install.

Do you expect to read files from Fresco and VIA USB 3, e.g. expand DriverPacks packages to hard disk.

Planning to do XP installs from USB 3 stick.

At least one txtsetup.sif/dosnet.inf  entry is required.
Maybe more. Real hardware testing is required still.

I'm not sure if the txtsetup.sif entry is required, but I do agree that real hardware needs to be tested.

Anyone here actually have the real hardware to test?

Last edited by Damnation (2012-11-19 02:51:57)

Damnation wrote:

I use VMware, I assume it would have some USB 3 emulation, haven't checked

VMware Player 5 / Workstation 9 supports a USB 3 controller.

PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778&SUBSYS_077815AD&REV_00
PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778&SUBSYS_077815AD
PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778&CC_0C03
PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778&REV_00
PCI\VEN_15AD&DEV_0778
PCI\VEN_15AD&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_15AD&CC_0C03
PCI\VEN_15AD
PCI\CC_0C0330
PCI\CC_0C03

However there is no VMware windows driver.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws90/doc/ … .html#USB3

Workstation 9 supports attaching USB 3.0 devices to Windows 8 virtual machines.

I believe BASE used to have a method to slipstream drivers that were not Mass Storage.
The method was for Chipset and would copy (and cab?) the drivers without the Mass sections being updated.
cdob is correct some entries are required to effect / legitimize the copy. big_smile.

This routine was deemed unneeded and disabled, it has not been missed in years. This routine could be reactivated, it only applies / applied to Chipset. I will only reactivate and debug this routine if it is proven at real hardware that it makes a difference.

much work has been spent on theories in the past that did not work as intended at real live testing. That is to say after all the work there was no benefit in terms of stability, functionality, speed or time.

I'm paying attention to this... Show your work and some actual results.

@cdob... still haven't forgotten about the PnP fix either.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Unless someone comes forward to say they have a VIA or Fresco hardware to test, I might go and buy this off ebay

NEW PCI-E PCI Express USB 3.0 Card 4 Port Hub Card Super Speed 5Gb/s VIA VL800

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PCI-E-PC … 231aa20846

I'll wait a couple of days, see if anyone responds

Last edited by Damnation (2012-11-19 16:13:23)

I went and impulse bought one ($13.50 isn't asking too much), but it'll take 2 weeks for it to get to me,

so if someone else with real hardware can test in the meantime that would be great.

Hardware arrived,

It works! detected my usb drive in phase 1,

cdob, you were right txtsetup.sif entries for kmdf sys files need to be added else it BSODs at phase 2.

Damnation wrote:

Hardware arrived,

It works! detected my usb drive in phase 1,

cdob, you were right txtsetup.sif entries for kmdf sys files need to be added else it BSODs at phase 2.

naturally. big_smile
----------------------------

is there any differnce if you don't load the file? Does it load it as a USB2?

What is the speed vs a USB2 port ... Is it the same?

how much time is saved, if any?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

If I don't have kmdf in the I386 folder, I get a "File not found!" error on flxhcic.sys

for me, it was about 6 minutes more on USB2

Damnation wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

If I don't have kmdf in the I386 folder, I get a "File not found!" error on flxhcic.sys

== is this when using a clean XP source?

Damnation wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

for me, it was about 6 minutes more on USB2

==with or without the driver installed?  is it still faster using a clean xp source?

== is this when using a clean XP source?

I started with an unmodified ISO, then integrated massstorage

==with or without the driver installed?  is it still faster using a clean xp source?

with the drivers, I haven't yet tried unmodified source

Question asked "What is a bus extender" from TechDud post 35

Answering this question makes a good point
Damnation mentioned the fact that certain files error when added to mass storage because of entries in SCSI sections.

Simple Answer=
BusDrivers don't get entries in SCSI section... Mark files that error @SCSI entries as bus extenders and test big_smile

I am working on the chipset module as i write this and I am reviewing the related posts.
the more i look at these the more i am starting to belive they actually DO need to be in mass storage.

Long answer regarding BusExtenders:
Q:What does the entry "ms_1_isBusExtender" mean?
A:The "ms_1_isBusExtender" entry specifies wether the driver is a busextender or not.

Q:How can i find out if my driver is a busextender?
A:Open the .inf files which should be included in the driver.

Look for a line similar to the following:
LoadOrderGroup = System Bus Extender

If that line is present, your driver is a busextender.

My best guess is the framework drivers may be or behave similarly to Bus Extenders.
Please test and report using wdfldr.sys and wdf01000.sys or similar files.

Jeff

PS DLL files are not currently supported ... but that could change big_smile
cdob is usually on the money, the dll is probably not required at textmode.

the HWid is actually "ROOT\WDF01000", methinks.