Re: Stand Alone Driverpack utility for all OS (XP, 2k3, 2k8, Vista, Win7)

ok, so i'll keep methode 1.
Thank you.

I've been using driverpacks base to reinstall XP in my older pc. For NT6 I have some questions.

1.If I run this in windows 7 the local drive won't be cleaned? Is that what you mean In to do list by referring the finisher?

2.This script does not include sata drivers like xp's textmode so I won't be able to identify an unknown sata disc or raid with it... Is it true?

3.Can It run itself from a usb flash drive or disk?

stsaerox wrote:

1.If I run this in windows 7 the local drive won't be cleaned? Is that what you mean In to do list by referring the finisher?

2.This script does not include sata drivers like xp's textmode so I won't be able to identify an unknown sata disc or raid with it... Is it true?

3.Can It run itself from a usb flash drive or disk?

1. The local drive WILL be cleaned up after install.  All working files are copied to %systemdrive%\D\ and after install the entire \D\ folder is deleted (unless you enabled 'KTD').
2. True (partially).  This script does not inject drivers into the disc boot.wim.  If your drive/RAID controller is already 'seen' by the system, then this utility will update the drivers for it.
3. Yes.  It can be run from anywhere.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants

Thanks for your time. You have done remarkable work there as always. If I was computer employee or something you would be my best friend.

These packages always comes in handy always with desktops. Laptops with custom hardware makes a mess sometimes and these do not really work.... Well I have been trying with one or two laptops in my life but I've never tried  to inject also with driverpacks the manufacturers  suggested drivers. But also I don't know how to tell the system to install first the manufacturers then the driverpacks.

I refer to older laptops with xp generally. My sony vaio with 7x64, the Bluetooth won't work if I install straight the latest broadcom drivers. I have to install the one that sony suggests then to update.

hello people, how I can incorporate the drivers of DPSU SAD2?
what files I should copy?
I believe that the .7 z but what about the hash and txt are not necessary?
on the other hand in DPSU exist printer drivers, which are in SAD2?

Hello,

First of this looks like a great utility.

I run a small computer business and have to install drivers on a lot of different machines.  I am a total noob when it comes to all this driverpack stuff.

Can someone help me in setting up a DVD that will auto install the drivers (unattended)?

I think i have mangaged to make it unattended by deleting "SET /p option=[Y,N]?"
and changing the silent install to "Y"

also would this work with Windows 8?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Well, you could always call the utility with the /s (silent) switch.

START %systemdrive%\D\SAD2\DP_Install_Tool.cmd /s

Or just change the line: SET "SILENT=N"
to
SET "SILENT=Y"

And yes, it will work in Win8 Pro.  It will NOT work in Win8RT.

Thanks for your fast reply,

Thats great it will work in Windows 8.  So you wont have to change or add any more code for the OS build detection part in the script?

Will it just function as if it was Windows 7, after having a look at Win8 behind the new interface it seems very similar to 7.

Thanks again.

Hello again,

With SAD2 is there any way of getting it to be able to just use the driver files needed for the computer your running it on, and not extract all of the 7z archives?  as it takes around 10-15mins to complete after extracting every driver pack.

I think with method 2 after unpacking all the driverpacks they all will not fit onto a DVD.

Somthing similar to driverpack solutions, how it selects just the drivers you need.. But i didnt like how intrusive DP Solutions was.

Thank you.

Maybe in the future, but not now.  What we need is a database/index of HWIDs and matching drivers to extract from.

yes you could use extracted drivers on a DVD i am pretty sure they are less than 8 gig.
However ODD like a DVD are very slow, typically extracting a large file is faster than accessing thousands of small ones... you could try it and let us know big_smile.

extracted drivers using SAD2 on a thumb drive would be the way to go..

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

CeEe4 wrote:

Thanks for your fast reply,

Thats great it will work in Windows 8.  So you wont have to change or add any more code for the OS build detection part in the script?

Will it just function as if it was Windows 7, after having a look at Win8 behind the new interface it seems very similar to 7.

Thanks again.

Win8 is NT6 based... Same as Win 7 and Vista (all NT6 kernel)
So for the most part they all use the same drivers

Win 2000, XP and Win 2003 are all NT5 Kernel
and pretty much use the same drivers.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I do need to modify the SAD2 code to recognize Win8 for the folder-delete option though.

Ahh ok thanks for all the info guys.

I just tried running SAD2 on windows 8 Build 9200 and got this error message before any driver extraction took place.

"Invalid Operating System detected windows 8 currently uses driverpacks not supported."

is there anyway of getting it to run on Win8 as it is the same architecture as & and Vista?

Thanks.

Oops, I'll need to fix that...
Caveat: I don't use Win8 (probably never will...)

@ mr_smartepants,
I have tested your script and I think I found a bug with the "/S" switch.  When using the switch on NT=6 it will still echo the messages which require user interaction....think it is because your setting the /S as Y then calling UAC to run as admin but when that windows opens the value of the /S doesnt carry over to the new admin window.  I have even set it manually in the script to Y without any luck.  I hope I have explained this correctly.  roll

Thanks for the work put into this tool.

Last edited by SteveDun (2012-11-19 16:01:03)

Yes.  I've seen that happen too.  I am working on a new revision and hopefully will have that sorted out.
In the meantime, the easiest method to avoid the problem is to hit the Windows key, type "cmd", then right click on cmd.exe and "run as administrator", then execute DP_Install_Tool.cmd /S

Another lil minor bug in sound that plays at the end of installation.....that method doesnt work on NT=6 machines.  I usually use a vbs file to make sounds in which media player is totally hidden.  Just sharing what I have ran into.  Like I said these are small lil bugs which have lil to no effect on the installation.  Thanks for everything and have a good day.

Oh and another thing when install drivers for touchpad in vmware it seems to install like 3 different drivers for this....dont know if it is a vmware issue only or if on real machine too.  Other dirvers install correctly just the touchpad drivers seem to not get correct id and install all 3 of them which causes issue's.  I dont have a real machine to test this on so thought I would share what I have found.  Thanks again!

Last edited by SteveDun (2012-11-20 04:44:38)

The sound function should be disabled.  I'll delete it entirely just to be sure.
Yes, that touchpad bug is already known.

@ mr_smartepants,
Hope you dont mind but I fixed everything that I encountered and now works like it should including the silent install switch and also the main bug....touchpad drivers now install correctly.  I also added win8 support.  If you would like to know how I corrected it just let me know....I dont mind sharing info.  I have tested this on xp, vista, win7 and win8 in vmware and everything works as it should.  Thanks for the work on this tool.....much appreciated!

Wow, that's awesome.  This is a collaborative effort.  Of course I don't mind! smile
Please upload it to mediafire or other free hosting service and I'll verify it.

SAD v2.2 (Modified from SAD v2.0):

:: Addded support for Win8.
:: Added restore point creation (supports XP-Win8).  Requires user interaction so it is not avail. when using silent switches.
:: Added user input on weather to restart or not. Not avail. when using silent switches.  (Added this so if I am in audit mode I can just choose to exit instead of rebooting so I can finish installing anything else or use sysprep tool to reboot in audit mode so I can finish).
:: Bug in not playing tone when completed in NT=6 systems....now its a vbs file.
:: Updated DPInst.exe
:: Fixed silent install failure.  User no longer has to edit the DP_Install_Tool.cmd file. No need for anyone to touch this anymore.
:: Fixed touchpad drivers not installing correctly.
:: Minor cosmetic fixes.
:: /? help has been updated for better explanation of switches.
           Examples:
              "/S" Silent install, no drivers are kept, auto reboot.
              "/K" Silent install, keeps only drivers for your OS, auto reboot.     
              "/C" Silent install, keeps all drivers, auto reboot.
These Must be ran from Admin cmd prompt to work silently!

Also included autorun.inf file for those that might want it.

Hope this meets your approval...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-ff61f91e.html

You will notice the DPInst.exe is same version still but newer build date and size difference.  This is what fixes the install of touchpad drivers.  They even have a newer version of DPInst.exe (2012) but no more support for xp.  I have worked and tested this the last two days.  I was bored.  lol

Note:  Also left win7 drivers to be left with win8 drivers for right now until more specific win8 drivers are released....most not all win7 drivers work on win8....so during clean phase win7 and win8 drivers are left behind for driver installation.  Later win7 drivers can be deleted when win8 drivers are more popular.

Last edited by SteveDun (2012-11-21 16:12:09)

Thank you very much!
I'll take a look.  I'll be away on a business trip all next week so hopefully I can get this reviewed by then.

No hurry.....I was bored and seen where I could help so that is what I did.  Trips are no fun when it is business.  lol

If any issue's arise in win8 you might have to move toward nt=6 systems only, using the new version 2012 dpinstall.exe and leave this one for nt=5 systems....we shall see.  Might also try making a gui for this instead of cmd prompts.....depends on how much spare time I have.  The more ppl use and report detail info on any errors the better it can be.  wink

I was smart while getting the updated dpinstall.exe's (2012).  I extracted both of them just in case they might be needed.  So to update it all I have to do is add it not redownload the kit again and install that just to get the files I need.  lol

Speaking of this....you might want to exclude the dpinstall.exe's so microsoft doesnt get mad.  They dont like their products dist. in other packages.....just provide link to download kit and instructions to add dpinstall.exe's.   This is what others do to protect them from getting in trouble with microsoft.  Just thought I would mention it.  Its up to you.

If at any point you need the new version of dpinstall.exe's (2012) which doesnt support xp let me know....I have both of them already if needed.

Last edited by SteveDun (2012-11-22 04:36:50)

Actually, dpinst.exe is one of the few M$ products that they actively encourage free distribution.  They wrote that into their EULA in the "driver distribution kit" (can't remember the name).