Re: [SLVD]Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM on Dell inspiron 1150 -- epic fail

TechDud wrote:

See page 86 for an example of "popcorning".
I find a 24hr bake at 80°C most helpful to avoid this phenomenon.

Low-melt solder for removal intrigues me.  http://www.zeph.com/lowmelt.htm
(Note:  I have no ties present or past to that company; this is not a recommendation, only information.)

Have you seen any of the videos about chipquik? http://www.chipquik.com/

I wish I would have read that about 2 weeks ago... I popcorned a xbox GPU trying to do a reflow... lol

I read that sometimes, you can use the stick of a q-tip to rub the popcorned top layer back down and it will actually relaminate, if the damage isn't too bad....(don't know how bad mine is yet...)

That article about the diode theory is GREAT.. I always wondered why metal would act as the ground... I didn't know that solid's couldn't hold a positive charge... they can only "carry" it because of the way that the bonds occur.. It's a hard read, but very very informative...

I'm not an EE, and i've been learning about electronics and circuits on my own(making damn good progress though!!), but in the past year I have learned how to build circuits, use CPU's(and the busses they use), print my own PCB's, and repair stuff that I didn't *EVER* think could be fixed. I love learning new stuff!!!

BTW thank you sooo much for the great thread we've been dragging out here ;-P I think we are a little off topic, but it is one of the best threads i've taken part in, in a long time

Last edited by zerohimself (2012-06-10 17:30:56)

and the CCFL on the dell went flawlessly!!! well, there is a little bit of a bright spot on the bottom right corner, but not enough to be concerned with.. It took about 20 mins to disassemble, solder, and install the new backlight.. the hardest part was when I put a screw in the wrong hole, and it didn't want to back out smile I have one very happy customer, and saved a "vintage" computer that is still able to keep up. Dell really built a tank with that laptop, I am very surprised with the performance for such an old laptop.

And believe me i'm still learning something(usually 3 or 4 things) new everyday. I love what I do, it's like i'm still in school everyday(but I never learned this much in school). Most importantly I find I can do *anything* I get determined to do.. My newest project is a solder reflow toaster oven I am about to build for making my own boards and repairing ps3/xbox/laptop GPU's..

and after reading that info about the TVS diodes, I believe I have an emachines MOBO that may have a blown TVS on it, going to try to hunt that down and hopefully save a MOBO that was in the "solder practice/parts" box

Last edited by zerohimself (2012-06-10 17:10:42)

As a follow-up to this topic, were you able to note the VideoBIOS revision, or more-importantly, which driver worked properly for that chipset?

PS:  Now that you're more familiar with TVS diodes, what does the presence of a failed TVS generally say about the power it was supplied?
PPS:  If all else fails on that mobo, especially if it's a no-POST, do a bench diode-check of the SMD capacitors upon it, you may find a power rail with low readings.  One side of a cap will be ground.

TechDud wrote:

As a follow-up to this topic, were you able to note the VideoBIOS revision, or more-importantly, which driver worked properly for that chipset?

v 3240 as reported by the intel graphics app

and it appeared that the default drivers did work with it.. the problem was as the drivers were copied to the HDD, the files were corrupted

TechDud wrote:

PS:  Now that you're more familiar with TVS diodes, what does the presence of a failed TVS generally say about the power it was supplied?

It recieved a spike above the voltage of the TVS for an *extended* amount of time (not sure the amount of time, but if the TVS is blown, it definately received a spike?? would a short on the other side drawing too much power blow the TVS? or would it only blow if the PSU provided a spike?)

anyhow, the fan spins a few turns and it powers off (the PSU is going into overcurrent protect mode I believe, and yes it occurs with known good PSU's also)

TechDud wrote:

PPS:  If all else fails on that mobo, especially if it's a no-POST, do a bench diode-check of the SMD capacitors upon it, you may find a power rail with low readings.  One side of a cap will be ground.

a diode check on the SMD caps?? please provide a little more info.. I should note I don't have a cap meter.. just working with my somewhat decent (only)multimeter... and I didn't know you could diode check a cap.. am I understanding you correctly?

Last edited by zerohimself (2012-06-11 04:51:41)

By "default driver", do you mean "DriverPacks_B_1107\D\G\I5  {DriverVer=02/07/2006,6.14.10.4497}"?

PS:  I note that it is the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply that are tasked to "filter" low-frequency spikes also known as noise.  Ceramic capacitors in parallel remove high-frequency spikes (as on a chipset).  Should we therefore reexamine what a "known good power supply" is?  More importantly, is a brand new power supply automatically considered to be "known good"?  I note that a power supply's mass may be a seperate indicator.  I am also assuming the AC supplying the P/S is clean.  Passive surge suppressors (aka MOV's) have only a limited life-span and are therefore known by me, at least, as "consumables".  Consider Active Surge Suppression for your main equipment.  It is unknown to me how so-called Smart Meters gauge any excessive noise filtered out by surge-suppression (et al), yet one might infer that customers are indeed billed to clean their AC power.

PPS:  Just use the diode-test function on the meter to read the caps with the negative lead on a ground-plane & the positive lead on the chipset cap.  You might be astonished to see how many failed mobos, mostly with graphics chipsets, exhibit this type of reading (or not).  Was it an nV chipset, BTW?  If you find one, you may have a candidate for your "Easy-Bake" oven! big_smile

PPPS:  If i haven't said this before, congratulations on the successful laptop recovery! smile

Last edited by TechDud (2012-06-11 15:36:23)

TechDud wrote:

By "default driver", do you mean "DriverPacks_B_1107\D\G\I5  {DriverVer=02/07/2006,6.14.10.4497}"?

yes

TechDud wrote:

Should we therefore reexamine what a "known good power supply" is?

No, I mean, tested, confirmed to work in multiple machines with no *noticed* problems for extended periods of time ;-P

TechDud wrote:

I am also assuming the AC supplying the P/S is clean.  Passive surge suppressors (aka MOV's) have only a limited life-span and are therefore known by me, at least, as "consumables".  Consider Active Surge Suppression for your main equipment.

ugh... lets never discuss this again (until i can afford some *active* suppressors)

TechDud wrote:

PPS:  Just use the diode-test function on the meter to read the caps with the negative lead on a ground-plane & the positive lead on the chipset cap.  You might be astonished to see how many failed mobos, mostly with graphics chipsets, exhibit this type of reading (or not).  Was it an nV chipset, BTW?  If you find one, you may have a candidate for your "Easy-Bake" oven! big_smile

PPPS:  If i haven't said this before, congratulations on the successful laptop recovery! smile

thanks and *Easy-Bake* oven - ROTFLMAO

I'll test some of my junk mobo's tomorrow, not sure if it's an NV

Thank you again for joining the forum.

Please feel free to start a new topic in the "Hardware" section for hardware issues; and any relevant section for drivers.