Topic: Problems with USB devices

HI,

I am using the SAD2 driver pack with the deployment of Windows 7. I have noticed that USB drives work on the Windows 7 box prior to sysprep but once deployed to other hardware stops working. To cut a long story short there appears to be an issue with the versions of usbstor.inf, usbstor.sys and usbstor.pnf. Prior to the running of the SAD2 tools there is one set of USBSTOR files in the c:\windows\system32\Filerepository after the sad2 tools runs there are two copies. In c:\windows\inf there appears to be a mix match of versions of usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files. They DON'T match the version of usbstor.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

If I replace the c:\windows\inf usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files with the version that matches the usbstor.sys file in c:\windows\system32\drivers and then delete all usb devices in device manager and refresh they are correctly discovered.

With the mismatched versions usb devices such as pen drives are discovered but do not appear in explorer. They show as unformatted drives in the drive manager.

If I can identify where the extra version of usbstor.inf, usbstor.pnf and usbstor.sys are coming from then I can probably fix my issue.

At the moment, my deployment of Windows 7 works perfectly except that no usb mass storage devices work without me correcting the usbstor files in C:|windows\inf and then deleting the USB devices in device manager

Any ideas?

Last edited by devlin7 (2012-05-04 14:28:52)

Re: Problems with USB devices

OK. Humble humble apologies it appears that it is a windows update that adds a second version of usbport, usbstor, usb.inf in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

Should have guessed it was Microsoft. :-)

Mumble grumble roar!. I will fix it in the image before it deploys.

OK. To cut a long story short I owe apologies to MS and DriverPacks.net. The bizarre issue I was having was to do with the DevicePath entry in the registry. At some point this entry had changed and no longer looked at %systemroot%\inf for drivers.

All sorted now.

Last edited by devlin7 (2012-05-09 11:50:40)

:-)

Last edited by devlin7 (2012-05-09 11:50:59)

well done. perhaps it will help others big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.