Topic: Help with missing files

Hi

I am building a Windows XP unattended install, I have used nLite to create an unattended setup, then using DP_base slipstreamed the driver
packs into the system uing method 2.
I have then used nLite again simply to create the .iso for me.

The iso boots fine lets me select the partition and drive etc,
but during the file copy section it cannot find 5 files

[I suspect its a path issue but not sure what file the path is stored in]

SetupORG.exe
Presetup.cmd
mc61xxmm.sys
mv64xxmm.sys
mvxxmm.sys

I have done the build in this order...

Expand XP disk into folder
Run nLite just the Unattend section
Run DP_Base and slipstreamed drivers using method 2
Run nLite to build .ISO

if I skip these files [press EXC] the install continues untill after the file copy
then Windows cannot find

C:\DPsFnshr.exe

Any help would be great

Thanks
Keith

Re: Help with missing files

Either something/someone modified txtsetup.sif after DriverPacks BASE was used or your source has been tampered with.
Start again with an untouched XP source.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants wrote:

Either something/someone modified txtsetup.sif after DriverPacks BASE was used or your source has been tampered with.
Start again with an untouched XP source.

I have tried from fresh media, and I know it has not been tampered with.

Are the paths to the files in txtsetup.sif?

Keith

Mr_smartepants..

I have checked my txtsetup.sif and I can fine the lines for these files [I have not pasted the full file due to its size]

setupORG.exe= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
presetup.cmd= 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

mv61xxmm=mv61xxmm.sys,4

mv64xxmm=mv64xxmm.sys,4

mvxxmm=mvxxmm.sys

Also at the bottom of the WINNT.sif is

;
; Edited by DriverPacks BASE 10.06
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[GUIRunOnce]
    command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Keith

Last edited by KeithDib (2011-12-14 18:53:09)

These files must exist on your ODD (CD or DVD) in the I386 folder

except the finisher.

running Nlite after DriverPacks, for anything except creating the ISO, will break the process.

I leave Nlite open and running at the create ISO screen while I add DriverPacks. big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

These files must exist on your ODD (CD or DVD) in the I386 folder

except the finisher.

running Nlite after DriverPacks, for anything except creating the ISO, will break the process.

I leave Nlite open and running at the create ISO screen while I add DriverPacks. big_smile

OverFlow

I have checked and the files ARE in i386 of my boot media.

I have also just tried leaving nLite open while i slipstream the drivers [method2]

Where should the finisher be?

Keith

Hi all

I think I know whats stopping the file copy process, I am just not sure why?

I am using a ZalMan ZM-VE200 USB drive that also MOUNTS .iso files and boots as virtual CD ROMS!

All other .iso files work, XP, Windows 7, The usual boot CD's like Hirens etc etc. I have install OS's on many machines with this device and have never had a problem even when installing another version of XP thats also built using DP_Base.. really strange

Where in the system are the paths stored for the location of these files?

thanks
Keith

Last edited by KeithDib (2011-12-16 00:35:03)

Srill having issues though, the install does not read the unattened settings and Windows code etc etc

KeithDib wrote:

Please also use nLite to copy/expand the disc onto your HDD.
If you do it manually using Explorer or such, you may miss some files (hidden, if not shown etc.).
Also, try a different make of CD blanks, unless you are using a USB key for installation already.

Helmi wrote:
KeithDib wrote:

Please also use nLite to copy/expand the disc onto your HDD.
If you do it manually using Explorer or such, you may miss some files (hidden, if not shown etc.).
Also, try a different make of CD blanks, unless you are using a USB key for installation already.

Hi, I have been using nLite to build the .iso

Extract the XP CD into a folder C:\xp
I build the unattended section only in nLite,
Run DP_Base and slipstream drivers using method 2'
Build the iso with nLite
Either rin from USB (virtual cd) or run on a Virtual Machine

Last edited by KeithDib (2011-12-16 04:24:59)

Yes, I know you used nLite to build the ISO!
I want you to use nLite to extract/copy the CD XP to HDD!
Therefore, you do all steps with nLite, except for driver-related stuff, which you only use BASE for (and only after all tasks have been completed save for building the ISO).

Is it clearer now?

Helmi wrote:

Yes, I know you used nLite to build the ISO!
I want you to use nLite to extract/copy the CD XP to HDD!
Therefore, you do all steps with nLite, except for driver-related stuff, which you only use BASE for (and only after all tasks have been completed save for building the ISO).

Is it clearer now?

Don't have a CD of XP, my company are volume licence customers and windows XP is in zip format downloaded directly from MS licence site, it's self extracting so simply extract to folder

Ok, then you have an ISO you extract the files from?
That should generally work without issues.

Anyway, you cannot use nLite in any commercial environment, hence it is illegal to use it in your company, according to its licence.
Only home and private use is permitted!
Please keep that in mind.

The DriverPacks, however, are free to use even in corporate environments.

Forgive the interjection, i wonder what current the HDD is rated for in Amps.  It should be stamped on the drive; beside the 5V rating.

See this post for more info, if applicable.  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 952#p46952 hmm

Last edited by TechDud (2011-12-16 16:12:55)

TechDud wrote:

Forgive the interjection, i wonder what current the HDD is rated for in Amps.  It should be stamped on the drive; beside the 5V rating.

See this post for more info, if applicable.  http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 952#p46952 hmm

Hi,

Not sure how the amps of the HDD would effect the path of certain files?

Keith

Update!

I seem to have it working, but only if I create a WINNT.SIF file myself using sysprep, copy this to the i386 folder and allow DP_Base to modify this. If I let DP_base to create the WINNT.SIF it cannot find the paths!

I installed this new iso onto a clean VM but cannot see the driver finisher running, so not sure about this path, where is this located?

Thanks
Keith

Contents of said winnt.SIFs, please?
Just for comparison's sake and out of interest...

This is the WINNT.SIF, I created this in sysprep then DP_Base modified the last bit, I cannot see anything different than the one DP_Base creates myself?

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"
    MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=No
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword="REMOVED"
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    AutoLogon=Yes
    AutoLogonCount=1
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=85
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=REMOVED
    FullName="REMOVED"
    OrgName="REMOVED"
    ComputerName=PC

[TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=44

[RegionalSettings]
    LanguageGroup=1
    SystemLocale=00000809
    UserLocale=00000809
    InputLocale=0809:00000809

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

;
; Edited by DriverPacks BASE 10.06
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[GUIRunOnce]
    command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"     

This WILL run the Regional settings & productkey etc, if I use nLite/DP_Base created/Modifies one I am prompted for user input

Not too sure the DPsFnshr.exe is running though, does this produce a GUI?

Keith

Last edited by KeithDib (2011-12-17 02:05:08)

I guess you've never heard of 'Voltage Droop'; neither had i heard that specific term, until investigating (the devil's in the datasheets!).  Review the post that i linked to if all-else fails.

To exaggerate the possibilities:  If you try to draw 1 Amp from, say a port that only supplies 0.5A (as per USB 1.1), you will have a problem (resettable fuses compound the problem of diagnosis).  If your USB cable introduces too much of a Voltage Drop (two different issues) as some non-USB-specification-compliant cables can; you may have a problem.  I do note that the controller board requires a small amount of power, yet that may need to be accounted for.

I hope i'm wrong; yet isn't it nice to be able to rule-out those possibilities; as i have found some probable inaccuracies from ZalMan concerning their specifications of this specific product.

Who would have figured that the controller chip would only natively support SATA II (1.5Gbps) yet not NCQ, nor does this chip directly adhere to the eSATA specification (it's a SATA port)?  One can hope that these limits of the controller chip were augmented by additional hardware.

Last edited by TechDud (2011-12-17 15:06:58)

KeithDib wrote:
TechDud wrote:

Hi,

Not sure how the amps of the HDD would effect the path of certain files?

Keith

simple example:

Device draws 1 amp ...  port supplies .5 amp.
device has insufficent power and runs , but not properly (barely limping along). As the overload on the circuit extends over a period of time it overheats the protection circuit and it interupts the power (a brown out / low voltage / insufficient current / lack of sufficient power issue). This manifests itself as a copy error.  Obviously the device will draw more power when it is working than when it is idle, during the copy process the HDD is at full current draw for an extended period of time.

Power circuits will tolerate being over loaded for short periods of time. Most power supplies are not 100% "Duty cycle" if you look they will be rated at say 75% duty cycle. that means that a 500 watt power supply will run at it's peak rating of 500 watts for a breif period, say a few seconds. It's "nominal" or continuous rating is 75% of 500 watts or 425 watts. Thus not all 500 watt power supplies are actually 500 watts. Which is why some cost 100 dollars and some cost 35 dollars. the higher priced ones are 100% duty and the cheap ones may only be 60% duty (your cheap 500 watt supply is really only a 300 watt.)  While this 500 will boot your computer and possably install the OS once you start a game or fire up that autocad program or watch a movie then your PC blue screens and poops out. You were over 300 watts for too long ...

Worth looking at, may be a possable cause, may not. Many external USB hubs and other devices have their own power supply just for this reason.

I had a 2.5 HDD case that was USB sometimes i could run it off the usb cable sometimes i had to also connect the "extra" USB power cable. (thus it would draw power from TWO USB ports or the USB port and the Keyboard port becuase the single USB port had insufficeint power to run the HDD properly.

tech dude additionally points out that cheap cables also will cost you some power (voltage drop) on top of what the device needs.

The lights are on... but nobody is home big_smile.

finisher is in the OEM folder. (you really couldn't find it on your own???)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Have you tried the .iso in a VM like VirtualBox?  If it doesn't work in a VM then this whole discussion of hardware is irrelevant.

He asked tongue

the DPsFnshr.log will be in your windows folder (%SystemRoot%) after (if and when) it runs.

All,

I have used the ZalMan for installing both XP and Windows 7 from Standard & modified .iso files for some time and have never had any issues, it not that its not findig the device its that its not copying certain files! only the files DP_Base uses...

Its not a hardware issue.

Same is happening on VM and physical hardware.

I have now got it working, but only by using my own WINNT.SIF [removing the lines DP_Base creates] and also changing some parts of the PRESETUP.CMD.

I am now wondering if MS has changed anything in the Windows media now its a .zip download as XP can now be licenced by MAK & KMS methods.

OverFLow

I still cant get the DPsFnshr to run, the .exe file copies over but it seems to fail with "cannot find settings file"

KeithDib wrote:

Its not a hardware issue.

Same is happening on VM and physical hardware.

Indeed!  The problem is with the compiled .iso file and NOT the install method.
You'll probably need to start from scratch and build your .iso in stages (test in VM at each stage), then troubleshoot when you find the stage which breaks your build.
Remember to document your steps to each stage so that we can potentially duplicate your steps and help troubleshoot more effectively.