Topic: Bit Torrent Download NOT AVAILABLE (blocked by corp firewall)

I don't know what possessed you to remove the direct download link for the driverpack files.  I am on a corporate network, behind a firewall and I **CAN NOT** download via bit torrent.  If I try, I get a "waiting to log in" message in Bit Torrent.  The security group will not allow me to use Bit Torrent as it is a security risk (probably do to the seed/peer aspect).

PLEASE PUT BACK THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK.  It took me two weeks to get the security group to allow me to direct download from this site and since you have moved to Bit Torrent downloads, I haven't been able to update anydrivers. 

In order to get the new files I will have to download the files at home, move them to a flash drive and then bring them into work.  That seems very counter-productive to me.

mad

Re: Bit Torrent Download NOT AVAILABLE (blocked by corp firewall)

GalacticOverload wrote:

I don't know what possessed you to remove the direct download link for the driverpack files.

This.

I am on a corporate network, behind a firewall and I **CAN NOT** download via bit torrent.  If I try, I get a "waiting to log in" message in Bit Torrent.  The security group will not allow me to use Bit Torrent as it is a security risk (probably do to the seed/peer aspect).

Bad luck, I guess.
What do you need the DriverPacks for, anyhow?
Either you are the Admin in said corporation, then *YOU* should be the one in charge for network settings etc. or you aren't, then you do not need the DriverPacks.

PLEASE PUT BACK THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK.

No can do. Unless you want to donate some bandwidth or hosting costs...

It took me two weeks to get the security group to allow me to direct download from this site and since you have moved to Bit Torrent downloads, I haven't been able to update anydrivers.

I'm not sure what this "security group" really is but if they have at least any clue, they'd allow the DriverPacks if you are responsible for driver updates.

In order to get the new files I will have to download the files at home, move them to a flash drive and then bring them into work.  That seems very counter-productive to me.

Yep, so it seems to me.
As I said, if it's your job, then talk to your boss; you should be allowed to do your job, at least.
If it isn't, then you should keep the DriverPacks on your private PC at home.

mad

Don't be mad at us, it's not our fault.
There was no alternative to this, due to nonexisting donations.
Have you donated already?
If not, stop complaining about something that is offered to you FOR FREE!

GalacticOverload wrote:

The security group will not allow me to use Bit Torrent as it is a security risk

Absolutely.  As an admin in my organization I would NEVER open a port for bittorrent activity because it is a massive security risk for the corporate network.  It's the bittorrent upload/download activity that is the risk. 
DriverPacks themselves posses zero risk.
So what's your answer?  Download them from home.

GalacticOverload wrote:

In order to get the new files I will have to download the files at home, move them to a flash drive and then bring them into work.

Bad idea.  USB flash memory drives are also a security risk (virus carrier) and we've banned them in our organization also.  Burn them to DVD-RW and scan them before introducing them to your network.

From our News post:

mr_smartepants wrote:

So, if you find DriverPacks useful AND you make money from their use (Enterprise/Commercial use), please strongly consider donating a fraction of your profits to DriverPacks to help sustain the efforts.

DriverPacks as an ecosystem cannot be sustained indefinitely without donations.  Just hosting the website alone costs Wim a LOT of his own money.  The infrastructure we maintain comes at a significant cost that one man cannot be expected to pay for on his own.

How dare you sir!  I find it an insult for you to DEMAND for us to provide you products and services that cost us several hundred man-hours to develop and support.

If you don't like what we provide for free, then do it yourself!

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

As for the secruity risk, couldn't you set up a single machine in a DMZ that does nothing but DL/UL the DP torrents?
If you disconnect it from the rest of your network, it should only be a minimal risk (plus, it could also serve as a seed box wink).

Anyway, as to USB flash drives:
I think the major problem lies within Windows' Autorun function.
Any sane Admin should disable all autorun functions completely.
A compromised Autorun.INF file on an optical medium is just as bad as on a flash drive...

Obviously, the MD5 hashes provided serve as a file integrity check (moving the files from home to work).

@mr_smartepants... I feel your pain too, But, regarding the "for you to DEMAND" comment, he did say please.

I worked for the phone company. The desktop support group was a unit of several dozen people who supported over 5k desktops, and we were admins, However, we did not have full access to the network, that was a different department, and I can assure you they would not have allowed us torrent downloads... period. On the other hand they could easily afford to pay the bill for us to provide the direct downloads year in and year out. They may have even supplied the server to use for this at no cost to the project. In that situation it would be a good investment to support us. The cost of supporting us would be far less than the increased cost of supporting 5000 desktops without us.

If not having direct downloads gets you fired up, do something about it. Sounds like you work for an organization that has the resources to be able to help. So rather than complaining and compounding the problem, become part of the solution.

Our bandwidth routinely exceeds 10TB a month... no free options to handle that kind of bandwidth.
We are considering a pay for option for our users that would have CDN downloads. We haven't had much interest expressed in that option to date. As always everyone wants something for nothing... Ask for a little money and people act like you ran over their cat. Torrents cost very little and that is what our user base is willing to pay. If you would be interested in or willing to donate for direct downloads this is your opportunity to say so big_smile.

Direct downloads would cost us well over 1000 USD a month based on 10~20 TB, We were fortunate in the past to have that donated, but we can not expect that to always be an option. Direct downloads are preferred by us as well as you but we simply can't, our revenue stream does not exist. The cost of one month of direct downloads would far exceed the combined total of all donations received over the past two years sad.

the short version is:
10~20 terabytes of traffic a month costs a huge amount of money...
Nobody ever donates any money.
Torrents are free, and that is what we can afford based on the donations we receive.

Thanks for being such a big fan of our project. We like that big_smile.

Thanks for taking the time to post and welcome to DriverPacks.net forum. 

summary, Does this get you fired up? Then do something about it... The ball is in your court.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I am moving this to site and forum feedback...

This is not a  Feedback and Support - DriverPacks Base related topic

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

What sum are you willing to pay per month to allow us to provide direct HTTP downloads? For the reasons stated above (and here, it is impossible for us to provide it for everybody.

Thanks for your understanding.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com