Topic: Upgrade functionality of Setup refuses to work

If I want to reinstall from running Windows via Update function I have this error message:

http://home.mnet-online.de/wixfigur/fsetup.jpg

so I think it is not possible to use this function at this time, cause DP changes the setup.exe in I386.

But maybe I can leave the original one and call DP from "DetachedProgram" in winnt.sif?
At this way I could make also multiple winnt.sif files ( winn1.sif, winn2.sif ... ) and reHEX SETUPLDR.BIN and make also different ones (SETUPLD1.BIN, SETUPLD2.BIN....).
So I can make different Installoptions in my Bootmenu ( with DP, without ... ).

If its possible, what to call with "DetachedProgram", presetup.cmd?
Can you explain the function of the patched Setup.exe?

EDIT:

Or another solution: copy the patched setup.exe with oempreinstall and overwrite the original one. But where to copy it?

Last edited by wixfigur (2006-09-24 23:24:35)

The magnificent master of the soldering-station

Re: Upgrade functionality of Setup refuses to work

Huh? I've never heard of reinstalling Windos through "the Update function". Where and how do you do this?

Are you trying to UPGRADE a previous Windows? That is NOT supported. Nor is it recommended: it leaves you with a messed up Windows.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

If you click setup in your Windows CD (out of windows ) you can choose New Install or Update.
Why not using it? For many people its an easy method for a fast repair. You are right, that its better to reinstall, but its not the only solution.

If its not supported, I will try to fix it for myself.
I think, put the Patched setup.exe, originalsetup.exe and presetup.cmd into §OEM§\$$\System32 and copy/overwrite them via OEMpreinstall should be right. If I have no winnt.sif setup does the normal mode - so in the  Update/Upgrade.
Right?

But maybe you can rewrite the Setup.exe to enable this?

Nope that just won't work. That's a limitation of this method. You're the first one in at least the past year to complain about this, which reflects the amount of people who actually use that feature. You can enable it again if you slipstream the DriverPacks using method 1, then the original setup will be restored.

The work-around you're suggesting won't work - too bad but that would be too easy wink

If somebody is interested - Ive found the solution for that problem by reading an old article at MSFN. The problem is the renaming/restart of the patched setup.exe. An old version, which is still available, does it with the presetup.cmd.

For those who also want to fix it, download this SETUP.EXE and put  it into your I386  directory.
then add following lines to the end of presetup.cmd:

%systemdrive%
cd %systemroot%\system32
DEL /F setupold.exe
if exist setup.exe ren setup.exe setupold.exe
if exist setupORG.exe ren setupORG.exe setup.exe
start /WAIT setup.exe -newsetup

this will work.

Last edited by wixfigur (2006-09-24 22:53:37)

That won't work - did you try it? That's exactly the same method I'm using.

Yeah - it works. the trick is to delete the oldsetup.exe before. It coudnt be wrote twice.

Well, then it should have worked with the fake setup I'm using too. It does the exact same thing: how would you expect that the real setup could continue otherwise?

But you got it working, and that's all what matters. I will not use that fake setup of Pyron though: it sometimes fails to work properly in case of certain XP SP2 installation discs.

Hmmm - very strange!
In the MSFN forum posts, you can read, that renaming is job of presetup.cmd. In DriverPacks presetup.cmd is no entry for renaming, so, I think its setup.exe´ job.
If I look into the system32 dir after setup breaks down, I can see some mess with the different setup files.
And also, if I use DriverPacks setup.exe, renaming with presetup doesnt work.
So, logically, therers something wrong with the renaming of the 3 setups. If I do not delete the originasetup before, I have also a break into setup.
I cannot look inside DriverPacks setup, cause i do not know the Coding Language. But there MUST be a difference between yours setup and pyrons.

The renaming is done by the fake setup itself. And there's only 2 setups, not three.

If installation breaks, there are 3 into system32: setup, originalsetup and oldsetup.

That's just the fake setup.exe being renamed to oldsetup.exe and the real setup being copied from setupORG.exe to setup.exe then.

OK - thats the problem.
I think your renaming is the same as this:

Rename wrote:

ren setup.exe setupold.exe
ren setupORG.exe setup.exe

and thats what happens:

1st line  - if theres an existing setupold.exe, DP setup.exe cannot renamed to oldsetup.exe.
   2nd line - if there exists an setup.exe ( cause first line failed ), setuporg.exe stays the same.

Effect is, that setup.exe doesnt change and calls itself.

If setupold is deleted before renaming, maybe by adding this line to presetup.cmd, renaming process can work properly.

Delete Old wrote:

%systemdrive%
cd %systemroot%\system32
DEL /F setupold.exe

If theres no setupold.exe ( like the first install ), the line doesnt have any sense.

And now - update function is working with DriverPacks setup.exe ( not adding the old one from MSFN ).

Ive tested it - works fine.

Last edited by wixfigur (2006-09-25 22:14:49)

You can make even cleaner with:

DEL /F %systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe
always remember.....
YCGIYWG (You Can't Get, If You Won't Give)
DizzyDen

Thanks! That information made my life easier today.  I have a nicely working set of DP v6 integrated discs.  I renamed WINNT.SIF in my DP integrated disc image and made a new disc to allow repair mode to work then ran into the 'fake setup' problem at boot.  I usually use another XP install disc with only RyanVM's updates integrated for repairs but ran into a laptop that has a SATA drive and controller but no BIOS support for ATA compatibility mode so the text mode setup would fail.  The DP integrated disc with the mass storage drivers did the trick but then I ran into the 'fake setup' problem.

Note: To fix the system on which I already had run the repair install option without having to do it again with fixed presetup.cmd version of the XP disc I booted into repair console mode and deleted the setupold.exe manually.  After a reboot setup continued normally.

Thanks again to wixfigur!

-felipe

I have a same problem, "Fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe" - Setup Abort". My PC restart to this error then restart again. I cannot do anything. Please someone give me to download a CD or disk for reboot my PC.

Best Regards
Kmoltiti

yes i have the same problem but i didnt understand it    someone explain me how to do that please

One post per issue is usually enough... cross posting is frowned on wink

Welcome to DriverPacks your other post was answered wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Hey guys, that just worked! Thanks very much.