Topic: [BUG?][DP 10.11.1]Problem with 2 infs that support same DeviceId

I have a computer with an Ethernet card with the following Device Instance Id PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1026&SUBSYS_83041043&REV_B0\4&38D2602C&0&00E1

I made an installation of windows with the Lan DriverPack (10.11.1) and during the PnP, windows installed the driver that is located in the D1 folder of the Driverpack(netdlfet.inf).
This driver did not work(the device manager showed the little yellow exclamation mark) but i discovered that in the DriverPack there is another driver that should work with my network card (located in the V1 folder-FETNDIS.inf).
I manually installed this driver by right clicking the Ethernet card in the device manager and choosing update driver(there i supplied the full path to the V1 folder). This driver did work.

My questions are:
1. Is it common that 2 infs from different manufacturers support the same device instance id, and if an inf claims to support a certain device instance id shouldn't that driver work?
2. Also is there a possibility that to different Ethernet cards (from different manufacturers) have the same device instance id or is this unique?
3. Is there a way to configure windows to keep searching for other compatible drivers after it tries to install a driver and fails?

Thank you

Re: [BUG?][DP 10.11.1]Problem with 2 infs that support same DeviceId

the answer is both quite complex and quite simple...

yes two devices can, to some extent, have the same HWID.

for example on my machine i have a RAID controller

============
RAID Devices
============
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095&REV_02\4&1F7DBC9F&0&58F0
    Name: Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
    Hardware ID's:
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095&REV_02
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&CC_010400
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&CC_0104
    Compatible ID's:
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&REV_02
        PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112
        PCI\VEN_1095&CC_010400
        PCI\VEN_1095&CC_0104
        PCI\VEN_1095
        PCI\CC_010400
        PCI\CC_0104

The full HWID PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095&REV_02\4&1F7DBC9F&0&58F0 is probably unique but this is not always true....

this HWID is matched first if it can be found. then the "compatable HWIDs" are matched in diminished order of magnatude. (IE the way they appear in the above list)

with a "super generic HWID" like  PCI\VEN_1095&CC_0104 almost any silicon image driver from any manufacturer could in theory be matched with it, weather or not it will work is anyones guess, most of the time it won't, even though theoretically it should.

If windows searches for a driver and selects one as the best match it isn't going to change it's mind. It is a program and will continue to select the same choice over and over until you change the drivers you have available.

It is possible that the two drivers both contain the same HWID like PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&CC_0104 and are both therefore a good match. however if one is signed and one is not it will always choose the signed driver even if the unsigned is a better or even newer driver. if both are signed then the newer is selected even if the old one is from the oem manufacturer and the new is not. PnP is better than it ever was but it is still far from perfect. If PnP worked then we would not be the only game in town for DriverPacks... everyone would simply make their own. It is just not that easy you cant just take a bunch of drivers together and put them in a folder and expect them to work together... That is what we have been beating our heads against the wall trying to do for over Eight Years, and why no one else even comes close to accomplishing what we have. In theory if they had ten years and a team of dedicated people and millions of users to provide feedback they could get where we are now... big_smile

We will see what we can do to help you with your situation... Can you test a pack if we mod it for you?

Jeff

BTW excellent first post and welcome to DriverPacks.net - thank you for helping us to help you... and everyone else in your situation.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: [BUG?][DP 10.11.1]Problem with 2 infs that support same DeviceId

Yes, i can try it