Topic: [BUG] Realtek Alc665 Installs But No Sound

Hello, again...
It seems my spanky new alienware m11x (r1) is finding all kinds of driverpack problems.
I have a Realtek Alc665 and it installs (I even see the windows speaker and realtek speaker in the system tray), but no sound passes through.
If I install the drivers from realtek, everything works.
My HWIDs.txt is in the other two threads that I have going.
setupapi.log is below.
JJ

Re: [BUG] Realtek Alc665 Installs But No Sound

setupapi.log:
[2011/02/03 15:50:28 760.1193 Driver Install]
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0665&subsys_10280443&rev_1000,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0665&subsys_10280443
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0665&rev_1000,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0665,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec,hdaudio\func_01
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe"  -newsetup
#I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\Inf\INFCACHE.1".
#I022 Found "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0665" in C:\D\S\R\hdart.inf; Device: "Realtek High Definition Audio"; Driver: "Realtek High Definition Audio"; Provider: "Realtek Semiconductor Corp."; Mfg: "Realtek"; Section name: "IntcAzAudModel".
#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00002001 to 0x0000a001.
#I023 Actual install section: [IntcAzAudModel.NTx86]. Rank: 0x0000a001. Effective driver date: 09/03/2010.
#I022 Found "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0665" in C:\D\S\R2\hdart.inf; Device: "Realtek High Definition Audio"; Driver: "Realtek High Definition Audio"; Provider: "Realtek Semiconductor Corp."; Mfg: "Realtek"; Section name: "IntcAzAudModel".
#I023 Actual install section: [IntcAzAudModel.NTx86]. Rank: 0x00002001. Effective driver date: 06/16/2009.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Selected driver installs from section [IntcAzAudModel] in "c:\d\s\r2\hdart.inf".
#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
#I060 Set selected driver.
#I058 Selected best compatible driver.
#-124 Doing copy-only install of "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0665&SUBSYS_10280443&REV_1000\4&10FA3AAA&0&0001".
#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Coinstallers registered.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installing section [IntcAzAudModel.NTx86.Interfaces] from "c:\d\s\r2\hdart.inf".
#I054 Interfaces installed.
#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Doing full install of "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0665&SUBSYS_10280443&REV_1000\4&10FA3AAA&0&0001".
#I121 Device install of "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0665&SUBSYS_10280443&REV_1000\4&10FA3AAA&0&0001" finished successfully.

Can you check this post and tell us if it's the same symptoms?
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 148#p36148

This is why we still maintain the older drivers in \r2.
Do the newer drivers in \R\ work better?

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

It could be the same problem.  I'd have to re-install to see if all the pictures match up.
One thing to note, though...
Upon first boot, the realtek speaker is there but the windows speaker isn't.  After some time (maybe after a reboot) the windows speaker does appear, but still not sound.
I'm not sure how to define r2 vs. r.  I just slipstream the .7z packs into nlite with dpbase.
I guess I could set them to keep the drivers and try to install, manually, from device manager.
JJ

After install, the drivers from R2 will have been used (because they're signed).  Just extract the contents of DriverPack Sound A to your hard drive, go to the realtek sound device in the device manager, device properties, driver, update driver, click "have disk", point to C:\d\s\r\ and force the drivers.  Restart and see if that fixes it.

Ok...
That's what I was talking about (manual).  I thought you were talking about slipstreaming it a different way.
I'll give it another whirl, today.
JJ

mr_smartepants wrote:

After install, the drivers from R2 will have been used (because they're signed).  Just extract the contents of DriverPack Sound A to your hard drive, go to the realtek sound device in the device manager, device properties, driver, update driver, click "have disk", point to C:\d\s\r\ and force the drivers.  Restart and see if that fixes it.

Ok...
It said that it couldn't find a better match than what was already installed.  This was using the KTD in c:\windows\driverpacks\s\r\.  If I need to do it, explicity, the way you listed, let me know.
I just thought, I wonder if it could have anything to do with my nvidia gt335m.  It has audio, too (Nvidia High Definition Audio in device manager).  Maybe there is a conflict, for some reason.
I'm testing this on another computer with an ati 4830.  I don't think I've had trouble with the sound pack, in the past, but I wasn't using this pack, either.
JJ

I do not have the XAudio error that was mentioned in that other thread.
Also, the sound pack worked just fine on my other computer with the ati card.
It seems to be relegated to my laptop.
JJ

doubleJ wrote:

It said that it couldn't find a better match than what was already installed.

It's going to say that because the newer drivers aren't signed.  You have to 'force' them by using the "I'll pick the device thank you very much" method. wink

@mr_smartepants
I'm using a different method for installing drivers. I'm extracting one or more driverpacks
into one empty folder, then using Folder2ISO, i'm compressing that folder to iso. After
windows setup complete, using DTLite, loading iso into virtual device, then openning
device manager and launching update drivers.
My method worked nice until now. Trying to install by using latest 2000/XP/2003 (x86) DriverPacks
i have been pointed to locate files, first time, sound R2, RtkCoInstXP.dll,  then Lan,  R4, RTNUninst32,
then Wlan some atheros, i can't remember.
Fortunetely i have keeped my old iso's made by described method, so i have switched USB key that contains old drivers.
At that time, no time to investigate what happens, until today when i have seen that the files exists but are renamed.

I do not understand why you have choosed to rename many files from drivers packs?

I know that you are usind DP_base to integrate into install CD, but not all peoples use this way.
Also DP Team make a great jos, i'm not complaining, just asking, maybe there are one solutions
for me to fix missing files.

I do not rename any drivers.  Those files are renamed during the .inf install process under the copyfiles header.
I discussed this in one of the bartpe forums, I can't remember where now.
*Edit: Here it is: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=5039

Because your .iso is "locked", the files can't be renamed.  This is one of the reasons the DriverPacks are extracted to the systemdrive, then installed, then cleaned up.

Ok, many thanks for that info. Now I can think to a solution. Thanks again.

EDIT1: There are any method to inform xp to direct/first search/look into some folder,
for example  Windows\Driver Cache, when you start Update drivers from
device manager ?

EDIT2: There are the Install from a specific location/include this location option,
but right now, i do not know how to add it into registry, before to start device manager.
Also another question, if i set one folder, the driver search include subfolders?
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf)

EDIT3: maybe devmgmt.msc can be called with some command line switches?
(something like "mmc devmgmt.msc ??? ???")

Last edited by vmanda (2011-02-12 21:07:25)

mr_smartepants wrote:
doubleJ wrote:

It said that it couldn't find a better match than what was already installed.

It's going to say that because the newer drivers aren't signed.  You have to 'force' them by using the "I'll pick the device thank you very much" method. wink

I'll be reformatting, again, in a few days.  I'll test the "pick the device" method, if a new pack hasn't been introduced by then.
JJ

Apologies that this took so long.
Honestly, I forgot all about it, until I reformatted yesterday.
d\s\r does work when forced.
JJ

Just a note...
the problem persists with Sound A 11.08.
I have the normal windows speaker and the realtek speaker in my system tray, but no sounds are produced.
hwids in the other gt335m thread for reference.
I noticed that the title is marked [SLVD], but I don't remember it ever being fixed.
A solution was found that we could force a driver install, after windows is installed, but I'd hardly call that solved (unless solved is different then fixed).
JJ

Re-marked as [BUG].
I don't know when I'll have time to fix this.  I've been busy with work.

That's fine...
It's possible that the nvidia sound problem (gt335m thread) and this one are connected.
This laptop is the only computer, I think, that has had this problem.
JJ

realtek.cz has datasheets for the Realtek Alc665 HDA chip, if it helps nail down a HW issue. http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-datasheet … eet=ALC665

Last edited by TechDud (2011-10-18 00:47:22)

I have DriverPack Sound B updated with the latest nvidia HD audio drivers.  DriverPack Sound A with the latest Realtek drivers.
It's here if you'd like to try it:
DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_1110b1
Download:
DP_Sound_A_wnt5_x86-32_1110r1
Download:

Nvidia audio is installing correctly, now.
Realtek still doesn't work, though.
JJ

OK, for your instance, the way to fix it is to remove D\S\R2\ and restore the original .inf in \D\S\R\ from the "originals.7z" archive.

I'm not aware of an originals.7z.
Also, can I just decompress the driverpack and dp_base still find it or do I need to decompress, swap files, recompress?
JJ

i think by original he means the official release

Yes decompress replace recompress... and name new archive with a higher number at the end of the name.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I'll give it a try over the next couple of days.
I've been reformatting this boy a lot this past weekend.
Hehehe...
I did notice one thing...
2011-10-24 23:46:11 : <ERR>  Could not delete "C:\DSPdsblr.exe"!
It may be because of the test packs, though.
JJ

No, I meant what I said.  Open the \D\S\R\originals.7z file and use the .inf files (not HDA.inf) within to replace the ones in \D\S\R\
I created the \D\S\R\originals.7z file to store the original unaltered .inf files before I modded them to break driver signing.

And yes, decompress-replace files-recompress