Topic: Nightly Build & QSC default option!

Two questions to the experts here.

1. What is the link to the nightly build of MassStorage Packs for WinXP?

2. This question  is related to Tutorial section-11 (QSC Option).
The DriverPacks-Tutorial ( both text and included picture) shows recommended QSC option for method-2 is Disable-QSC.

But when I tried with latest DP_Base 1006 program for slipstream, at this point after selecting method-2, the program dialog says recommended option is Enable-QSC.

I am confused.  Which is the real recommended option?

Re: Nightly Build & QSC default option!

QSC makes a cached copy of any cab compressed drivers when you slipstream. (Quick Stream Cache).

for a few versions there was issues related to slipstreaming XP then 2k3 then BartPE. Some of the files were not cached and caused issues. That problem was fixed. So the answer is "It depends which version of BASE you use".

With M2 only the mass storage TextMode drivers are cached.
QSC is only useful if you intend to reslipstream the same packs multiple times. Otherwise it is of little or no benefit. It simply does not take that long to cab compress what few mass storage drivers there are. The reall benefit of QSC dates back to useing M1 when all the packs were CAB compressed and it would take an hour or so to do them. So a second pass would nto take an hour since they would nat have to be compressed again... simply copied.

If you are only making one disc there is no difference if QSC is off or on. QSC only benifits if you are doing multiple slipstreams with the same mass pack. even tehn it only saves you a minute or two based on your machines speed.

I hope that clears it up for you!

Jeff

publicly available test packs for mass storage are posted in the Mass Storage forum. They are only offered to users in direct response to posted issues. If you neeed a test pack post an issue you are having big_smile! (If you are not having any issues then you don't need one LOL)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

I hope that clears it up for you!
Jeff

First thanks Jeff for ur quick reply.
I am using latest DP Base  version 1006, & since I am using Method2, I presume the preferred or recommended option should be "Disable QSC", even though  program dialog wrongly indicates "Enable QSC".

Regarding my query for nightly, it was general. But I will come back with specfic issues later.
Thanks anyway.

I don't know that recommending "enabled" is wrong. That is the way it always was, except for a short time when there was an issue, once I resolved the issue i put it back the way it was.

The clear advantage to having it "Enabled" is: if you EVER need to use it again the compression will not have to be redone. So every run after the first one will be signifigantly faster. Therefore it is recommended! (on my machine it takes about 6 minutes to slipstream, so 2 minutes is 33% faster and that is "signifigant", even though it is only a couple of minutes LOL.

If you know for a fact that you are absolutely never going to slipstream the same mass storage pack ever agian in your whole life you can save about 5 meg of disc space by having it "Disabled".   IE You are a home user reloading your personal desktop. We don't get many of those users here tongue.

So no... I disagree it does NOT wrongly suggest "Enable QSC".  Enabled has always been and still is recomended (other than when we had the bug).

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

I don't know that recommending "enabled" is wrong.
So no... I disagree it does NOT wrongly suggest "Enable QSC".  Enabled has always been and still is recommended (other than when we had the bug).Jeff

I gather my use of the term "wrong" there was not appropriate, & so it may have ended up conveying an un-called for  criticism which I did not intend. (My apologies.)   A more appropriate term would have been "inconsistent"

What I meant was :  what is told by the tutorial & what is indicated by the program dialog (picture below) were contradicting.  So probably the tutorial was slightly outdated, & not updated to reflect the later modifications of the program. Not a big-deal, but i was confused initially because of this.  (See picture in sec-11 of DriverPacks Tutorial)

http://users.telenet.be/jtdoom/basetute/DPBase11.png).

But after your explanation, things are clearer to me now.  My suggestion: If your time & priority permits please update the picture in tutorial-sec-11, & possibly the text.  That is for future 1st time users.
Thanks again

OIC...

thanks!