Topic: [SLVD] driverpacks finnisher problems

Hello, I am making a multiboot disck of xp with the driverpacks.

driver-packs finisher launches during the t-13 time of xp install and works great. however an error pops up saying it cannot locate the settings file, when the settings file is located on the disc inside the oem folder with the reset of the driver packs stuff.

it is launched using the custom command instead of the guirunonce or the runonceex

here is the log file from windows after the install.
DPsFnshr

2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> DriverPacks Finisher 10.06 initialized.
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> Splash screen initialized.
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> Detected platform wnt5_x86-32.
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> Start logging of system variables available for use by the exceptions:
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%finisherdir% = C:
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%systemdrive% = C:
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%systemroot% = C:\WINDOWS
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%windir% = C:\WINDOWS
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%programfiles% = C:\Program Files
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%dpsroot% = 
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> 	%dpstmp% = C:\tmp
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> Start logging of the HWIDs for relevant devices present in this system.
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <INIT> devcon.exe not present: no HWIDs can be logged.
2011-01-01 23:42:15 : <CRIT> Could not find settings file!
2011-01-01 23:42:20 : <CLNP> Deleted "C:\DSPdsblr.exe"!
2011-01-01 23:42:20 : <CLNP> Added new value to the RunOnce key in the registry: the DriverPacks Finisher itself will get deleted after the next reboot.
2011-01-01 23:42:20 : Program terminated.

here is the dps_base.ini

[General]
; preferred language
prefLang	= "English"
; yes/no, enable or disable the wizard-style buttons, if not specified: yes
wizardButtons	= "yes"
; yes/no, enable or disable the GUI, if not specified: yes
GUI		= "yes"

[Settings]
; disc/bartpe/multibootDisc
instPlatform	= "disc"
; trailing backslash is allowed, but not necessary
location	= "I:\Template for AIO Disc\ROOT\XP\HOME\OEM-DRIVERPACKS"
; none/all/select, if select, specify them below, if not specified: all
DriverPacks	= "all"
; 1/2, method to install the DriverPacks, if not specified: 2
DPsMethod	= "2"
; GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEx/custom, if not specified: GUIRunOnce
finisherMethod	= "custom"

; this section is optional!
[OptionalSettings]
; none/all/select/paths/patterns, enable or disable Keep The Drivers (KTD) , if not specified: none
KTD		= "all"
; <path>, to specify a custom KTD cache location, if not specified: default (%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks)
KTDlocation	= "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; yes/no, enable or disable QuickStream Cache (QSC), if not specified: yes
QSC		= "no"

DPsFnshr.ini in the oem folder with the driverpacks stuff

[Settings]
; DO NOT SET THIS MANUALLY, LET THE DriverPacks BASE DO IT FOR YOU! (may NOT contain any spaced, if it does, all exceptions must be adapted to be compatible!)
DPsRoot	= "%SystemDrive%"
; DO NOT SET THIS MANUALLY, LET THE DriverPacks BASE DO IT FOR YOU!
KTD = "paths:D"
; system variables supported (see remarks for a list) one location cannot be used as
; KTDlocation: the root directory specified in[Settings]\DPsRoot
KTDlocation	= "%SystemRoot%\DriverPacks"
; system variables supported (see remarks for a list)
logLocation = "%SystemRoot%"
; enables/disables debug mode (enabled by default)
debug = "true"

Last edited by donald7777 (2011-01-04 15:46:42)

Re: [SLVD] driverpacks finnisher problems

donald7777 wrote:

driver-packs finisher launches during the t-13 time of xp install and works great.

Impossible.  DriverPacks Finisher never runs during T-13 unless you manually added it to svcpack.inf and modified the presetup.cmd file.

So, assuming you got your terminology wrong, we'll proceed under the assumption that you scheduled DriverPacks Finisher to execute during ROE instead since you have the DPs_BASE.ini flag: finisherMethod    = "custom"
During Method-2, DPsFnshr.ini gets copied to %systemdrive% during extraction prior to T-39 providing that presetup.cmd is not altered.

So, what exactly did you select in DriverPacks BASE for the "custom" setting?
Did you modify presetup.cmd?
Did you modify ANY system files after integrating DriverPacks using DriverPacks BASE?

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Im sure it runs during the t-13 becuase before the t-13 you can see the driverpacks clicking no for the non signed driver part.

I selected the custom option so it will run with my runonceex cd file which is posted below

note this file is called install.cmd

@echo off
REM next line makes sure the *.TAG extension is identified
setlocal enableextensions

FOR %%# IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO (
  IF EXIST %%#:\SOFTWARE SET "CDROM=%%#:")

REM next lines are for example
REM checks for the XHHO.tag and go to the corresponding section:
REM if exist %SystemDrive%\XHHO.TAG call :XHHO
REM checks for the XHHR.tag and go to the corresponding section:
REM if exist %SystemDrive%\XHHR.TAG call :XHHR
REM checks for the XHHU.tag and go to the corresponding section:
REM if exist %SystemDrive%\XHHU.TAG call :XHHU
REM checks for the XHOD.tag and go to the corresponding section:
REM if exist %SystemDrive%\XHOD.TAG call :XHOD
REM End
goto :end

REM begin example to install software or tweaks based on os
REM :XHHO
REM Here we'll add the SOFTWARE to install to the XP Professional SP3 Corp With DriverPacks version. 
REM "%~dp0" refers to the full path the Install.cmd is in, so you don't have to worry about drive letters
REM End this section
REM end of this section :

REM :XHHR
REM Here we'll add the SOFTWARE to install to the XP Professional SP3 Corp version. 
REM End this section

REM :XHHU
REM Here we'll add the SOFTWARE to install to the XP Professional SP3 Retail With DriverPacks version. 
REM End this section

:end
REM Here we'll add the Applications for every OS.
CALL %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe
START /WAIT %CDROM%\SOFTWARE\ADOBE\Flash\FLASH_PLAYER_10.1.MSI /q
START /WAIT %CDROM%\SOFTWARE\ADOBE\Shockwave\SW_LIC_FULL_INSTALLER.MSI /qn
START /WAIT %CDROM%\SOFTWARE\ADOBE\READER\AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe /msi /norestart /quiet
START /WAIT %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe

REM Installing Reg Tweaks
regedit /s "%CDROM%\SOFTWARE\Registry\IE-BRANDING.REG"
regedit /s "%CDROM%\SOFTWARE\Registry\Disable-IE-Setup.reg"
regedit /s "%CDROM%\SOFTWARE\Registry\Disable-Tour.reg"

REM Cleaning up the system.
net user aspnet /delete
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"
DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"
exit

I have not modified the presetup.cmd.
no driverpacks were the last done and nothing else was changed.

Although it is not impossible... mr_smartepants is 100% correct (again), 

the Finisher does NOT run at t-13, nor any other DriverPacks function, and they absoutely should not be modified / customized to do so.

svcpack.inf executes at the T-13 minute stage do you have a call to the finisher in SvcPack.inf by mistake?

No part of DriverPacks is set to run from service pack INF, PERIOD. (At least not by DriverPacks BASE. Nor is it recomended by any instructions found on this site)

The extraction of the DriverPacks is done WELL before this stage of setup and the finisher is not ever SUPPOSED to run till after the reboot. It is POSSIBLE that there is a mistake (made by you or others) in your setup... IE there is a call to the DriverPacks Finisher buried in your svcpack.inf or one of the functions, routines or scripts that is called from svcpack.inf. (if you put in a blank svcpack.inf does the issue go away?)

I am going to make a bet here... I bet a dollar that there is a direct or indirect call to "install" or "install.cmd" in your SvcPack.INF.
-If you change the name of your script to Customiz.cmd does your issue go away?

Never EVER do KTD  "ALL" ...
It won't work and it will probably cause NONE of the DriverPacks to work as KTD is intended to... KTD means you intend for the DriverPacks to be available post install (read "available FOREVER"). The path length long ago exceeded the max size of a single registry entry ( I have forgotten but i belive it's one MB in XP ). Best case scenario it will truncate the path and you will get a partial path, most of the time it will simply be left as a blank path (not even the default of %systemroot%\inf will exist... Extremely Bad!). Worst case scenario this will render ALL  drivers unavailable (meaning even the included with windows drivers), or best case scenario most of the drivers unavailable (about three gig of driver files on the HDD that are invisible to windows). if you insist on KTD (not recomended ... Use SAD instead) Then ONLY KTD the monitor pack, modem pack and HID pack or other Third Party DriverPacks (things that a user might plugin post install {ps the Printer Pack WON'T work since it requires the DriverPacks Finisher}). Chipset, Mass and Graphics are not going to change big_smile... and if they do change your not going to want drivers that are outdated nor have the mess in the registry. I am going to assume that your not going to update the MB and Graphics card the first week ... and if you do it's probably a good idea just to do a clean reload ... especialy since you have an unattended install tongue.

KTD never did, and never will, do what it was intended to do. Any driver that requires "finishing" IE reg files added or setup run or any additional tweaking (stuff normally done by the DriverPacks Finisher) WILL fail to install. IE graphics cards, printers, sound cards... will all fail to install properly... so don't include them with KTD. In fact if you are smart you won't use KTD at all.   

If you do install a printer or sound card or video card then run SAD! It works 1000% better and does not burn a bunch of HDD space needlessly.

KTD was replaced and made completely obsolete by SAD.

Having said all that, I must also admit that KTD with the Monitor, HID and modem packs might make sense in special cases... like for a PC repair shop where the end user's monitor, modem, keyboard or mouse are not at the shop with the PC. Please note that these are very simple drivers and very small packs.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

OverFlow wrote:

Although it is not impossable... mr_smartepants is 100% correct (again), 

the Finisher does NOT run at t-13, nor any other DriverPacks function, and they absoutely should not be modified / customized to do so.

svcpack.inf executes at the T-13 minute stage do you have a call to the finisher in SvcPack.inf by mistake?

No part of DriverPacks is set to run from service pack INF, PERIOD. (At least not by DriverPacks BASE. Nor is it recomended by any instructions found on this site)

The extraction of the DriverPacks is done WELL before this stage of setup and the finisher is not ever SUPPOSED to run till after the reboot. It is POSSABLE that there is a mistake (made by you or others) in your setup... IE there is a call to the DriverPacks Finisher buried in your svcpack.inf or one of the functions, routines or scripts that is called from svcpack.inf. (if you put in a blank svcpack.inf does the issue go away?)

I am going to make a bet here... I bet a dollar that there is a direct or indirect call to "install" or "install.cmd" in your SvcPack.INF.
-If you change the name of your script to Customiz.cmd does your issue go away?

indeed this is how the install.cmd file is called.

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
Autopartition=0
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[Display]
Xresolution=1024
Yresolution=768
BitsPerPel=16
Vrefresh=60

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=015
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]
WDSearch=Off
msnexplr=off

[UserData]
ProductKey="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"
ComputerName=*
FullName=" "

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale="0409"
UserLocale="0409"
UserLocale_DefaultUser="0409"
InputLocale="0409:00000409"
InputLocale_DefaultUser="0409:00000409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="MSHOME"

[GuiUnattended]
"%SystemRoot%\SOFTWARE\Install.cmd"

this is how it was recommend to me around last year on how to do it. note not from this site but by other people who had made discs structed the same way as mine.

SAD does seem the way to go so i will remove the ktd and switch it with sad.

Last edited by donald7777 (2011-01-03 13:38:32)

I think issues will persist... if not this one then others... you need to rename install.cmd to somthing else like customiz.cmd.... otherwise you will have other issues... the MAIN issue is that install.cmd is being inadvertently / mistakenly called from svcpack.inf... even if you go to SAD instead of KTD your main / primary issue is not resolved (yet).

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

ill just let driverpacks go with the guirunonce

Ok im rebuilding is there a recommended way for using sad with a multiboot disc?

I think you are missing the point...

Somthing during setup (at t-13 /svcpack.inf) is calling your script... you either need to find what is calling your script and fix it OR

rename your install.cmd... which seems to be the easier thing to do.

if you don't fix this then all the installs in install.cmd will occur twice. Once during Preinstallation (at t-13) and again during Gui mode setup. if you move the finisher the other programs will still run at the wrong time. Not only that but wahtever program that svcpack.inf is calling to run will NEVER be run... so you have two major issues. all the programs in your script run twice and the one that is supposed to be run at t-13 from svcpack.inf never does. 

RENAME YOUR SCRIPT!

you don't need SAD or KTD to install drivers with your multiboot disk...

both of these tools are for dealing with somone adding hardware after the machine is done. Ie shipped to a customers home... or if you add somthing weeks or months after the install... I don't use either... not ever. Hardware doesn't change after you are done installing.

I was in the process of changing my script.

I removed any gui mode setup and it all runs at t-13 now.

Ill not use the sad or KTD with my multiboot disk.

thx.

that works too as long as somthing is not being missed and all the programs are compatable with t-13 execution!

Good job!

let us know if we can mark this solved!

I did not want to muddy the water before... But... Since you are useing M2... SAD is included. The script DP_Install_Tool.cmd in the OEM folder is SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) you can run the script at any time you like. I sometimes will run it to update a machine that has driver issues. It is not needed for your install disc to work... but it is there and can be a handy tool on occasion.

I've found that if you use any ROE installers that it's best not to call the DriverPacks Finisher from GUIRunOnce because the two stages will run concurrently and interfere with each other.  If you already use ROE to install items, call DriverPacks Finisher from your ROE .cmd file.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

perfect this can be marked as solved.