Topic: Corrupted/Incomplete downloads

Hi

I've been trying to download the packs for 2 days now and the only topic I can find on this problem is closed.

The smaller downloads are ok, but the larger sized ones only go as far as about 40mb and then stop downloading.

I've since given up, I've got 3 computers here and they all do the same so it's not my computer.  I've never had a problem downloading any file from anywhere before I tried these.

Specifics are I'm trying to download this lot

Windows 2000/XP/2003 (x86) DriverPacks

Chipset    10.05.2    download
CPU    10.05    download
Graphics A    10.05    download
Graphics B    10.05    download
Graphics C    10.05    download
Graphics Languages    10.05    download
Graphics PhysX    10.04    download
LAN    10.05.1    download
Mass Storage    10.06    download
Runtimes for ATI    10.06.1    download
Sound A    10.06    download
Sound B    10.06    download
WLAN    10.05.1    download

I can get the smaller files but the bigger ones - nope.

Ever considered torrents or alternative download locations?

Regards

Rob

Re: Corrupted/Incomplete downloads

It seems that if you try and download more than 1 file at once it's not happy, downloading one at a time seems to work fine.

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … nd-a/10.06 stops at around 39.7mb so would appear corrupt.
http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … hysx/10.04 stops at 32mb
http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/wind … nd-b/10.06 stops at 58mb

Robb0 wrote:

Ever considered torrents or alternative download locations?

Regards

Rob

Rob,

We use Simple CDN. It is a content delivery network with multiple geographically dispersed server clusters. It's the most advanced delivery system available. We submit a file and it is automatically mirrored and distributed to you from the closest available location.

Yes... not only have we considered it, we have implemented it.

As you have discovered there are no other posts about download issues... That it because we almost never have any.

Now consider that we average around two million downloads a week.

- Ever consider getting the facts before saying something ridiculous? tongue

your issue is probably related to a cluster geographicaly close to you, and is probably isolated in that it will likely not happen again.

Thanks for giving the report, but you can keep the attitude.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

"- Ever consider getting the facts before saying something ridiculous? tongue"

I got the facts, I can't download the files I mentioned - that's a FACT.

"- Thanks for giving the report, but you can keep the attitude."

Jeeze, my god you're the one with the attitude, how on earth did you derive I had an attitude from that post??? 

Thanks for the lesson in not bothering to post on your forums ever again.

No don't bother replying, you will probably be sarcastic or a prat like your first reply.

This isn't the first time this problem has been reported.  We already have a support ticket filed.
Thank you for reporting this.  It gives us more data to give to SimpleCDN to isolate and find a fix.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Hey guys, I wanted to report I'm having a similar problem.  The two that are giving me problems are the 10.06 Sound A and Sound B for Windows 2000/XP/2003.  I was able to get everything else to come through, many after a half-dozen or so retries, but these two are the only two that keep doing it to me.

I've tried from three different locations around the Washington DC area with all of them ending at the same point at Robb0 describes. 

I hope this helps track down the issue.  Any suggestions in the mean time to grab those two files via an alternative route?

Ok, to add to the download woes...

I have had the same problem downloading. Every year about i again try to use the wonderful driverpacks (kudo's insofar that aspect goes) - but no luck!
This year no good results again - but thankfully this time i see more brave souls mentioning it.

As an IT admin i do a lot of downloads from various local and remote locations, different machines and methods - and the only odd place where we have downloading woes consistently is the immense trouble this verySimpleCDN content thing is giving us

We cannot even begin to download in the "normal" way -  that results in a few 100 bytes a second....and bombs out after a 5 hour or so time period. And using the Driverpack Base it will loop - continously failing - maybe i get 2 or 3 packs at best - typically it downloads up to 60% ~ 90+% as per the one post above - then "kra-asshh" - Download failed
And so for 4 days now i have been trying this.

Personally i am convinced that this is due to a quirk in the delivery method. I have many many downloads from Filefront to ZDNet to gamersgate to mention but a fraction - all work including occ hiccups or internet problems. And we are talking plain and download managed - from both server and workstations and at all hours. (admins never sleep!)
So here - over nearly 2 years now it has always been the same...download problems.

I remember a while ago (about 3yrs?) when one could download straight away using my then fav download manager or browser - then there were no problems whatsoever.

Also i have to agree with one of the first posters - we do not have an attitude but rather wish for a speedy amicable resolution. The driverpacks and especially the effort going into making them is most appreciated...and once i can reliably get hold of them i think from our side the users should at least donate something.

Meantime with our downloads on pause we eagerly await your looking into the matter. I really hope you guys can assist in getting all the campers happy.

Thanks

Last edited by Janz (2010-07-20 19:25:33)

This seems to be an ongoing problem and Wim has already contacted simplecdn for a resolution. 
They are looking into it.  That's the only/best answer I can give you at the moment.

Please keep reporting the problems along with the following info:
Files attempted/failed
Date/time (in GMT if possible)
IP address of your PC at the time of failure.

This will help us pinpoint the failing server node.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Thanks Mr_SP

All files initially failed....then a day or two later and many many many retries it took.
All thus but the graphics ABC and Sound AB and Wireless LAN i think - they looped into failing for another day or two.

Then Graphics C started to look well but alas it bombed out today - as did the rest - none getting anything and so slooow.
Strangley - today i accicently opened my download manager via a link - and it started resuming the one file - ironcially graphics C [languages?] and slow but good so far..far below normal speed but consistent at least.

Back to dbase downloads - as of today they are all at max 9kB/s - dowloads nice n slowww but steady until nearly done. Then Bang. Failed. (Download manager may succeed - i'll know in the morning]'

So it seems all the small ones first]

I started last Friday the 17th July at about 9am...gave up today the 20th July at about 16Hoo - All times GMT +2 e.g. Harare/Pretoria

Node endpoint is here in Southern Africa.
Our ADSL IP is in the range 196.212.75.xxx.
[but i remember in another location a while back now it was the same struggle to download - thus my annual migratory return to see if its better]

Don't know if this is relevant but i now recall RyanVM's site also being a lot less download friendly to me. Will go visit there sometime soon to see.

Hope you guys find it - a relief that it is tho! Good luck and thanks.

It is my guess that the problems are isolated to one (or a few) server clusters.

Simple CDN is a network of clusters...

We have millions of downloads successful. I assume one post represents thousands or tens of thousands of users. That being true we have a small percentage of failures.

Please include your IP or Geographic region so we can lean on simple cdn.

Those of you needing an alternate download location:

The problem is isolated to certain servers, each providing service to a local region.
The workaround is then obvious. Unless your Robb...

Use a proxy that is not in your geographic region. you can Google for open proxies.
By using a proxy that is not close to you it will fool the CDN to supply the content from another server. (the CDN will think you are close to a different server cluster) Simple.

I would have offered that earlier - But I don't like being talked to like I'm an idiot, especially by someone who has nothing nice to say and has not contributed anything to our project. I have been working with computers for over 40 years. If you want help then show some respect, show up on your first day and think you know more than we do and your going to get sent packing empty handed. He is lucky i did not ban him on the spot. I was in a forgiving mood.  It's a bad idea to show up on a forum that has been around for 8 years and in your first post pretend that you know more than the people running the show, AND not say anything nice at all. (He should have stopped by and read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way as posted in the rules he agreed to when he signed up. smile) Since everyone of you since him has said thanks and shown appreciation for our FREE project I have now posted a solution / workaround. (I previously had simply figured that someone as 'smart' as Robb0 certainly did not need the help so... I didn't post it wink. Although I did at least give him a hint / clue.)

Jeff

PS I am moving this to the correct forum now. This is not an issue with DriverPacks BASE, it's an issue with the site big_smile. (I guess Robb couldn't figure that out either)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I couldn't finish the download for graphics A, Sound A and Sound B.
Calgary Alberta, Canada
I would prefer not to post my IP

Failure on all three using the proxy: http://www.xroxy.com/proxy1632122.htm

5:36pm Wednesday (GMT)

I have had problems in the past, right at the very end. Try turning OFF your antivirus/spyware during the download.

I use ESET and found this fixed the problem especially with larger downloads.

Hope this helps you.

I just remoted into a server in Vancouver to get the downloads...  Worked fine from there with same antivirus and what not running (we use enterprise versions of Symantec so it's the same across all machines).
A proxy in China also worked for my machine but I didn't want to wait that long for all the downloads.
So I'd have to say that it was a problem on the node I got connected to.  I just figured I'd report the issue with some info, wasn't really worried about it smile

Thanks

SimpleCDN persistently remains somewhat unreliable. Additionally, they're unresponsive to our queries. I think it's time to evaluate alternatives.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

OverFlow wrote:

Rob,

We use Simple CDN. It is a content delivery network with multiple geographically dispersed server clusters. It's the most advanced delivery system available. We submit a file and it is automatically mirrored and distributed to you from the closest available location.

Yes... not only have we considered it, we have implemented it.

As you have discovered there are no other posts about download issues... That it because we almost never have any.

Now consider that we average around two million downloads a week.

- Ever consider getting the facts before saying something ridiculous? tongue

your issue is probably related to a cluster geographicaly close to you, and is probably isolated in that it will likely not happen again.

Thanks for giving the report, but you can keep the attitude.

Wow. Wow, that is rude and you're the one that directed me to this thread. "Our system is perfect so it must be you". I live in Ottawa, Ontario and I am having this problem as well. I can't download the Sound Packs. Where's a proxy in England.

Tried a Russian proxy, got an error saying "404 File Not Found - SimpleCDN Upload Bucket o5.76 "

*Edit #37*

I was able to use the American proxy http://stupidblocker.info to download Sound Packs A and B.

Last edited by jordanwb (2010-08-17 01:31:20)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

he was rude first... Reap what you sow.
I volunteer here for free wink
and he had NOTHING nice to say and he is not a donor.

Most people start out with "Your project has been so helpful to me." and end with "Thanks". Had he either of said thanks or complimented our project then my response would have been much different... big_smile.

Leeches should be nice, or at least respectful. Fail on both of those points and... Well... you see what happens.

Thanks for your feedback

We must have different definitions of rude because OP doesn't sound rude to me. He made a valid suggestion to correct the problem since from a user perspective its not clear you're using any fancy software.

http://a.imageshack.us/img130/6879/uhnothanks.gif

Jordan, your donation is now complete

Last edited by jordanwb (2010-08-17 03:32:59)

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/ajoHKH618C_cS2O6V00_aY3Cse0ggjzP4uxI8Hk5viw/perpetual:forever/userbar/donator-3.png

Most people start out with "Your (FREE) project has been so helpful to me." and end with "Thanks".

Failure = rude

Look at it this way. Wim just bought you a free lunch, with cash out of his personal pocket, and all he got in return was a gripe about the service. That is extremely rude.

Wim Leers wrote:

SimpleCDN persistently remains somewhat unreliable. Additionally, they're unresponsive to our queries. I think it's time to evaluate alternatives.

OverFlow wrote:

Look at it this way. Wim just bought you a free lunch out of his pocket and all he got in return was a gripe about the service. That is extremely rude.

Wim acknowledges the issue with "the most advanced delivery system available" and is considering alternatives. OP suggests one. I'm not hating on the man but to use your comparison: he's taking me to a restaurant that he knows has poor service. In any case I donated five Euros to help.

Last edited by jordanwb (2010-08-17 03:46:57)

God love you!

Thanks for your feedback and your donation.

We have been using simple CDN for a couple of years and until about a month ago we had zero issues. we average about two million downloads a week and only have had about 10,000 failures over the last two months (figure one post represents a thousand or so users). That is better than a 99.9999% success rate big_smile. Of course we prefer the 0% failure rate. Simple CDN donates our unlimited bandwidth for free and beggars normally can't be choosers, however our project is very popular. I'm sure another CDN will gladly take their place since the banner ad on the main page gets a LOT of exposure. (Perhaps beggars can be choosers!) Since Simple CDN has made Content Delivery Networks popular, now there are several other companies offering the service too. Previously there were no others. (they were the only restaraunt in town)

... They have had excellent service for over two years, it was not until last month things strayed. perhaps they just need to fire a couple of bad "servers" lol. - In Wim's defense He did not know the service was going to be bad because it was always excellent (perfect in fact) in the past.

Donors get testing team access.
I have added you to the Donor group!
Several previously hidden forums are now available to you.

Welcome to DriverPacks.net!

Thanks again for your feedback and your donation!

You have helped us to help you.

Jeff

Hi, well I haven't gotten to saying thanks yet, but although I'm newly registered, I've been reading forums related to the driver-packs for quite a long time, and I must say your work has helped me and many other people a lot, although I can't say I'm doing money enough of what I do enough even for my strict necessities (I'm 23 and I'm not on my own feet yet), so donating is not an option for me at the moment, although I feel in debt to some other freeware/open-source developers whose products I've been using for a long time too.

But you may be too rough this time. People can forget saying thank you when things don't work because of the frustration, I apologize in the name of all of them, hopefully they're not that many though. It's perfectly understandable though, I wouldn't even bother when most don't even donate a dollar.

In my case, I'm from Romania and both Sound driver-packs downloads are corrupted, and even the graphics-physX I believe. I've tried several times today at 11:30-11:45 AM. Version 10.06 didn't work, but version 10.03 downloads work fine, so I prefer that over using proxies.

THANK YOU, have a nice day and many donations!
I'll be back!

it's insane when you think about it... if everyone who downloaded last month donated ten cents we would have made over 100,000 dollars tongue. I would have to ask Wim to be sure but i would bet he hasn't cleared 5,000 dollars in the last 7 years.

perhaps I was too rough, but it's frustrating for us too... It's hard to find the kind of bandwith we need for free. (hundreds of terabytes per month) - Wim is a college studnet and pays for this site's host out of his pocket. If Simple CDN did not donate our bandwith  for the downloads this project would be dead.

OverFlow wrote:

It's hard to find the kind of bandwith we need for free. (hundreds of terabytes per month)

Then I think in this case bittorrent is a good solution.

Nice userbars by the way.

Last edited by jordanwb (2010-08-18 03:04:34)

if only there were some modest common sense in the world, you would have been paid at least that amount and now the problem of hosting wouldn't be possible. people should wake up roll  , but I guess you have to understand what effort it means to offer it so kindly for free in order to appreciate it. in the end, they will have something to lose. I can't even find a job and the thought still crossed my mind. nothing is really for free ...
usually people who make most money are the most selfish with it. I bet if you announce that in three months you would close the project because of the lack of funds, their conscious would suddenly awaken. that would be bad if not unbearable to most of us. I'd rather lose $10 than let this project disappear.
sorry. chatty. delete it or move it if you like

Last edited by brunetu (2010-08-18 04:44:08)

We at DriverPacks are quite happy to donate lots of our time, and in Wim's case lots of time and money, for free.

It's just becomes quite frustrating when all the DriverPacks team's hard work is not appreciated either with a hint of respect and good manners, and/or some pocket change to keep us afloat.

no need to delete or move this... we occasionally allow some wandering Off Topic.