Topic: Looking for a good DriverPacks Tutorial...

Hello... I am a New Bie...

I reached here by RyanVM's Forum and Looking for a Complete Guideline Tutorial which helps me to Integrate Drivers Pack in WindowsXP...

I just Integrate all the Hotfixes and Addons by using RyanVM Integrator,It was quite simple as RyanVM Provide a Tutorial including Pictures...
Now I am looking to Integrate All these 8 Driver Packs in WindowsXp source...

As i Download Stuff posted here [Driver Packs and DBs_Base] files, I don't seen a Documentation or Guidelines to perform the Driver Packs Integration....

My Goal is to Integrate all these 8 Packs in a Single Winxp 700 Mb CD....Can I do that  ???
DBs_Base has more than 1 Options in Most of its Configuration Steps,How to know whick one is Recommend...?

Can I make my WinXP CD which Automatically Dedect all the Drivers [Driver Packs] without any Menual Configuration....?I don't want to do any thing Manually as I am Impressed with RyanVM Integrator....

Is there any Tutorial available ?

Re: Looking for a good DriverPacks Tutorial...

All you basically need is to use the BASE to slipstream the DriverPacks into your source.

There is no decumentation pre se, yet, however, all options are pretty self-explanatory.

Judging by your comments, the best thing for you to do is using Method 2 and KTD ALL.
QSC is only needed when creating more than one CD - to speed up things.
Finishing method is arbitrary as long asyou don't chose custom.

Just give it a try on a Virtual Machine (VMware) or Virtual PC (MSFT).

Also, make sure integrating the drivers is the very last step before making the ISO (which cannot be done with the DriverPacks BASE, yet).

Last edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky (2006-09-01 04:52:09)

Just download the DriverPack Sound B, download all DriverPacks, extract the DriverPack Sound B, put the DriverPacks in the 'DriverPacks' directory, start the BASE, configure it to suit your needs and click the Slipstream!-button. That's it.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Helmi wrote:

Also, make sure integrating the drivers is the very last step before making the ISO (which cannot be done with the DriverPacks BASE, yet).

Sorry,I don't understand this Line...Do you just mean that DBase.exe file can't make an ISO Image ? I know that...

I can Do that with a Number of Softwarez...Making ISO image and CD writing is not a big deal....

What is Slipstream ? may be a dumb question....

DBase.exe can Automatically Integrate all those Drivers Pack in our Windowsxp Source code and making Entries in different files just to Inform Windowxp that there is a Huge Collection available to be check... Am i Right...

WindowsXP will automatically search the appropirate Hardware drivers and Install it....???

Or I have to Configure any Manual setup...I don't want any Popup Or Configuration Screen after Windows Login Screen Comes,Becoz this way is quite Bad...All Packege should be as Microsoft Always Do with XP....

OK....
I will Choose Option 2 with KTD ALL.....

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Just download the DriverPack Sound B, download all DriverPacks, extract the DriverPack Sound B, put the DriverPacks in the 'DriverPacks' directory, start the BASE, configure it to suit your needs and click the Slipstream!-button. That's it.

Yeah I know this,Actually I was just Curious about the Rest of the Setup which always came into seen when Configuring DBase.exe ....

Which Integrator Do you Prefer for Integrating Hotfixes and Addons...

Nlite or RyanVM ?

I actually Like to use RyanVM UpdatePacks and Addons,....But You guys looking discourage RyanVM integrator...

Does Your DriverPacks Compatible with WindowsXP PRE-Updated with RyanVMs Update Packs...?

khan wrote:
Helmi wrote:

Sorry,I don't understand this Line...Do you just mean that DBase.exe file can't make an ISO Image ? I know that...

Yes, that's what I meant.
However, if you are doing other things to your source (you mentioned somehotfixes), this always has to be done BEFORE applying th DriverPacks.
So using the BASE is the last step before making the ISO.

I can Do that with a Number of Softwarez...Making ISO image and CD writing is not a big deal....

Sure, but you need to include the bootimage somehow, else the CD won't be bootable.

What is Slipstream ? may be a dumb question....

Slipstream is what you call the integration of the SP1/2, the hotfixes or even the DriverPacks to your source CD.

DBase.exe can Automatically Integrate all those Drivers Pack in our Windowsxp Source code and making Entries in different files just to Inform Windowxp that there is a Huge Collection available to be check... Am i Right...

Absolutely correct.

WindowsXP will automatically search the appropirate Hardware drivers and Install it....???

Check.

Or I have to Configure any Manual setup...I don't want any Popup Or Configuration Screen after Windows Login Screen Comes,Becoz this way is quite Bad...All Packege should be as Microsoft Always Do with XP....

That's the whole point.
If there were any manual steps involved it wouldn't be a proper UWXPCD (Unattended WinXP CD).

OK....
I will Choose Option 2 with KTD ALL.....

Just as a sidenote:
KTD ALL will enable Windows to search in the DP drivers when you install new hardware after you've already installed Windows (eg new sound card).
Very handy if you change a lot of hardware, else you won't need it.
However, then, XP will only search in the MS supplied driver for the new hardware ignoring those that came with the DriverPacks.

The only downside is that it will take up a bit of HDD space.
Obviously it has to store those new drivers somewhere wink

khan wrote:

Which Integrator Do you Prefer for Integrating Hotfixes and Addons...

Nlite or RyanVM ?

Personally, I use nLite, because I need that anyway to slim my CD down.
Then I'm using nLite to integrate the German version of RyanVM (Sereby's Update Packs), hotfixes and addons.
You can do that with the Update Pack standalone, but since I have nLite running anyway, why not do it that way?
There's no difference in the ending result.

I actually Like to use RyanVM UpdatePacks and Addons,....But You guys looking discourage RyanVM integrator...

As I said, above, both methods are basically identical.
Use whatever you prefer.
If you use nLite anyway, just integrate the packs through that, saves you one step. smile

Does Your DriverPacks Compatible with WindowsXP PRE-Updated with RyanVMs Update Packs...?

In fact, as I stated previously, you NEED to integrate all updates and hotfixes BEFORE applying the DriverPacks.
So yes, it is compatible, in fact, it's the only way to do it, if you try it the other way round you will screw things up.

helmi wrote:

Just as a sidenote:
KTD ALL will enable Windows to search in the DP drivers when you install new hardware after you've already installed Windows (eg new sound card).
Very handy if you change a lot of hardware, else you won't need it.
However, then, XP will only search in the MS supplied driver for the new hardware ignoring those that came with the DriverPacks.

The only downside is that it will take up a bit of HDD space.
Obviously it has to store those new drivers somewhere wink

How Much Hardisk Space and Installation Time will be Increase if i Put [Slim stream] All those 8 [Actually 7] Drivers Pack ...?

And How Much Space all these Driver Packs Need when Slipstrem them in WinXp Source...Actually I want to Put all Of them in a Single 700 mb cd,Now I just Put Hotfixes and some Addons then the Size of XP Source becomes 550 Mb...I Can Use NLite to Remove some Languages + Old Windows Upgrade Directories But I need to know how Much all of these Drivers Pack Required Space in 700 MB CD...

That depends on the method you will be using. Method 1 will require about 600 MB, method 2 290.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Thanks...

Ok I will Try Method 2...
I want to ask one thing about Nlite utility,Actually after integrating UpdatePacks + Addons , Removing Components i reach over Unattented Option...I Just Put my CD key and choose Full-unattented installation...
I Installed WindowsXp from the Windows folder On my Hardisk but it was again asking my for the key...I did not write the ISO on CD yet....

Please Tell me about Unattended setup of windowsxp.I Just want to Put the CD key inside Boxes...

khan wrote:

I want to ask one thing about Nlite utility,

Usually, the official nLite Fora would be the best place to ask, but seeing that a least I am making heavy use of it, I'll try to answer your question.

I am just pointing this out in case you might not find the desired answers here, NOT to tell you off.

Actually after integrating UpdatePacks + Addons , Removing Components i reach over Unattented Option...I Just Put my CD key and choose Full-unattented installation...
I Installed WindowsXp from the Windows folder On my Hardisk but it was again asking my for the key...I did not write the ISO on CD yet....

Please Tell me about Unattended setup of windowsxp.I Just want to Put the CD key inside Boxes...

So far, it has always worked for me, so double (or triple) check there is no error on your behalf (mistyped key).

Before using nLite, I would manually enter my key, also to great success.
You can do the same or at least verify what nLite did by opening the file WINNT.SIF in the I386 folder with your favourite text editor.

[UserData]
ProductKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

is how the proper entry has to look like (obviously you replace the Xs with your own key).

here was a txt what desrcibed a method written by me, as a noobie.
reposted huge rewrite of this later in this topic.

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-10-29 00:03:25)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

step 3

run Dps_Base.exe

if you want all drivers, you must use method 2
(It's the default.)

If you plan on adding tons of different cards in that box later on, you might want to select KTD (keep the drivers).
Even when I used KTD, the defaults have done me good.
Pretty soon you walked the arrows through all the pages, and you hit the slipstream button.
A couple minutes later it's done.

Usually I my self don't need to change hardware devices....Just for Getting Information If i Install my Windows with KTD default and unexpectedly i have to change my AGP/SOUND card,then what will happen ?
Does it ask me for Putting Winxp CD in CD Rom...

KTD All Offcource will Put all the crazy Stuff on my Hardrive....:)

khan wrote:

Just for Getting Information If i Install my Windows with KTD default and unexpectedly i have to change my AGP/SOUND card,then what will happen ?
Does it ask me for Putting Winxp CD in CD Rom...

Not sure what you mean by KTD default (the defualt setting is disabled, I think), but if the required drivers are onyour HDD through KTD Windows will include that folder as a source on its search for drivers so it should NOT ask for a XPCD.
(can't say for sure, as I haven't replaced any hardware so far but that's what I gathered wink).

Crazy stuff as in drivers? wink
It doesn't take that much space to keep them (about 1.7GB for me including all official and 3rd party DriverPacks) so unless that's an older machine with a small HDD it shouldn't be a problem.
Saves you the trouble of having to reach for the driver disc or searching for the driver on the net next time you upgrade.
Though, obviously, it doesn't help with often updated driver such as for graphics cards...

Helmi wrote:

Crazy stuff as in drivers? wink
It doesn't take that much space to keep them (about 1.7GB for me including all official and 3rd party DriverPacks) so unless that's an older machine with a small HDD it shouldn't be a problem.
Saves you the trouble of having to reach for the driver disc or searching for the driver on the net next time you upgrade.
Though, obviously, it doesn't help with often updated driver such as for graphics cards...

1.7 GB with Or Without Windows [Total] ? smile

What I know is....
KTD ALL is a nice Option But I am sure that it will double the Windows Total Intallation Time....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KTD OPTONS...(Choose One)

[ ] DISABLE KTD ???
[ ] ENABLE KTD FOR ALL SLIMSTREAMED DRIVERPACKS [OK]
[ ] ENABLE KTD FOR ALL DRIVERPACKS I SELECTED  [Ok]
[ ] ENABLE KTD FOR THE DRIVES IN THE PATH I ENTER  ???
[ ] ENABLE KTD FOR THE DRIVERS THAT MATCH THE PETTERN I ENTER  ???

KTD CACHE LOCATION (Choose One)

[ ] DEFAULT {%SYSTEMROOT%\DRIVERPACKS} 
[ ] CUSTOM

Hi
I use defaults most of the time.
I meant that when I used KTD, that I stuck to the defaults which came after I told it to use KTD.

Now, for the extra time KTD requires.
Right now, that is true. (the selected files get copied, which takes time)
I hope Bâshrat the Sneaky will soon release a version where adding the KTD option will NOT add extra time.
This could be done if the selected files get moved, and those that had to be moved do not have to be deleted.
This, if if one selected ALL, would even cut the time that was needed for deleting the D folder out of root...
Strange, huh?
But Deleting D folder also takes time, and if this new KTD method works, then it might become the preferred choice...

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

khan wrote:

1.7 GB with Or Without Windows [Total] ? smile

Just the drivers, of course.
Everything else qould be pointless since everyone's UWXPCD installation would look different (nLite'ed, add-on packs, add. software) smile

Still, seeing as you'll have a hard time finding a prebuilt consumer model with less than 100GB as of now, those 1.7% space for drivers are easy to bear IMO.
Should customers complain, try selling them another drive or tell them not to DL so much pr0n ;P

What I know is....
KTD ALL is a nice Option But I am sure that it will double the Windows Total Intallation Time...

jtdoom wrote:

I hope Bâshrat the Sneaky will soon release a version where adding the KTD option will NOT add extra time.

Yeah, that version is already in the works, or so I think smile
Quite a welcome change, I can tell you!
(so far, applying KTD takes about as much time as installing XP+addons...)

Wonder where the next beta version is, it's been a while I tested one big_smile

Helmi wrote:

Still, seeing as you'll have a hard time finding a prebuilt consumer model with less than 100GB as of now, those 1.7% space for drivers are easy to bear IMO.
Should customers complain, try selling them another drive or tell them not to DL so much pr0n ;P

I have my system Driver CD in my Pocket...
I almost do the irrelevent things,so Adding Drivers is One of them....;)

khan wrote:

What I know is....

KTD ALL is a nice Option But I am sure that it will double the Windows Total Intallation Time...

jtdoom wrote:

Helmi wrote:

Yeah, that version is already in the works, or so I think smile
Quite a welcome change, I can tell you!
(so far, applying KTD takes about as much time as installing XP+addons...)

Wonder where the next beta version is, it's been a while I tested one big_smile

Welcome Beta! Please Come towards the Final Stage Now....:D

hi
a network moderator at my regular hangout uses Nlite, and in our private rooms I told him that when I tried N_Lite to slip  RVM's post SP2 august's hotfixes, + all unpacked BT the Sneaky's driverpackss, it failed.

it went like this..
script error 6502 (or something like it....).

Nlite worked fine for doing things it was intended for.
ALL packs was probably beyond its capabilities.

my noob "haves a go at it'  txt is the KIS principle at work.

RVM (let it do what it was built for.) (Doesn't make changes to winnt.sif)

+ Bâshrat the Sneaky method 2 (if you had a winnt.sif for unattended, it would filter and add the required lines. If you don't have one, you find one with just two entries and can use the enhanced product to get to recovery console on a difficult machine...)

since then, that DVD worked for me in five machines so far.
the sixth  has that CPU thing issue.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

I am an intel fan... the sixth was an AMD.
edit:  nforce 4 was NO issue in it, tho... sound was OK too.

in that AMD, the orig SP2 OEM home V2XHOEM_NL did not need the mass storage to see the sata on the raid chip.
:end edit

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-09-07 10:12:40)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

jtdoom wrote:

hi
a network moderator at my regular hangout uses Nlite, and in our private rooms I told him that when I tried N_Lite to slip  RVM's post SP2 august's hotfixes, + all unpacked BT the Sneaky's driverpackss, it failed.

it went like this..
script error 6502 (or something like it....).

Nlite worked fine for doing things it was intended for.
ALL packs was probably beyond its capabilities.

Then which format we should follow ?

Ist Using RVM Integrator for Update Patches + Addons
2nd Using NLite for Removing Unneeded Windows Components.
3rd Driver Packs Base for SlipStreaming Drivers.

Then we can again Point out the Updated WindowXP Source folder to Nlite for Making WinXP.ISO Image file....

Am I Right ?

khan wrote:

Then we can again Point out the Updated WindowXP Source folder to Nlite for Making WinXP.ISO Image file....

Am I Right ?

Quite so.

Note how you can merge step 1 & 2 into one by slipstreaming RVM packs using nLite.

That's the way I do and it works perfectly smile

Helmi wrote:

Are you saying that once you intergrate drivers with the DriverPacks BASE you can no longer do anything to your source? (e.g. edit text, add or remove programs, add remove hotfixes etc)

khan wrote:

Am I Right ?

I actually prefer 2/1/3

first move the NTbackup folder to support
Nlite, slim it down.
remove the guided tour.. languages, unneeded keyboards
you must not go for sacrificing important stuff.
delete valuadd folder
delete docs
let it do it to it.
manually delete the migration folders in \386 (approx 37Mb)
also delete the dotnetfx folder (approx 40Mb)
that slims it down with 220Mb...

RVM integrator, hotfixes, soundfixes, and dotnetfx
I will still use RVM because I can have it do the ansi code conversion, which avoids a DriverPacks soundpack issue)

DPs_Base  method 2, all packs

result is under 700 Mb.

and then, for ISO you can use nlite or RVM.
I use DVDRW because I want extras on that disc.

Last edited by jtdoom (2006-09-08 10:33:22)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Again, once you intergrate drivers with the DriverPacks BASE you can no longer do anything to your source? (e.g. edit text, add or remove programs, add remove hotfixes etc). Does that mess something up?

Another question..Does anyone make their own unattended source disk manually without using others program/tools? I just ask because I am trying to learn this and feel the only way to get a true understanding of what you are doing is do it yourself hands on.

NutEdge wrote:

Again, once you intergrate drivers with the DriverPacks BASE you can no longer do anything to your source? (e.g. edit text, add or remove programs, add remove hotfixes etc). Does that mess something up?

You could, theoretically, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very sure.
At least, only do manual changes so you know exactly what you latered.
If you use nLite AFTER DP slipstream it will mess up files such as WINNT.SIF and the like, causing the whole unattended installation procedure to break.

Just make it a habit to do the DP slipstreaming as a last step and you shouldn't encounter any issues.
Or is there any specific reason why you'd want to do any of the above after integrating the drivers?

Another question..Does anyone make their own unattended source disk manually without using others program/tools? I just ask because I am trying to learn this and feel the only way to get a true understanding of what you are doing is do it yourself hands on.

I did, before I got around to using nLite which greatly speeds up the process.

If you need further info on that (you can also do the drivers manually but it's a real PITA), check out http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/
A really great guide and comes in three "difficulty" levels wink