Topic: Working Universal Image

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know the process I took to get a pretty much universal image created that works on almost every make and model computer I've put it on so far.  I'll try my best to make it as simple to follow as possible and hopefully some will find it useful as I spent many days getting this to work as well as it does.  Some tweaking can likely be done to make it better but I haven't had anymore time to test many other options/methods.

I will try to update each step as needed with more detail when I get a chance in case you are not familiar with programs like sysprep driver scanner, mysysprep or offlinesysprep.

1.  Download all the driverpacks that you require.  Put these in the c:\d folder
2.  Download the sysprep driver scanner software http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/index.shtml  (put in a c:\sysprep folder)
3.  Download sysprep (put in a c:\sysprep folder)
4.  Download mysysprep from http://www.tsaysoft.com/mysysprep/ (put in a c:\sysprep folder)
5.  Create a LiveXP cd with Offline Sysprep integrated into it
6.  Find a 64-bit copy of an ntldr file and copy it to the root of C: replacing the existing ntldr
7.  Get your system setup the way you want (If you're using VMware make sure to remove the tools, make sure to use an IDE disk, and switch the HAL to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.  I also remove the IDE controller and install a "Standard Dual Channel..." controller.
8.  Run the sysprep driver scanner and have it integrate all the driver paths into the registry
9.  Run Mysysprep.exe. I choose mini-setup and reseal.
10.  Once the computer shuts down boot from the livexp cd and run offline sysprep.
11. I choose to "do nothing" with the hal detection.  leave the extra drivers section blank.  In advanced, check "stop Intel PPM...", "supress driver...", "Inject HWID's...", "Install standard IDE...", choose to install all driver packs MSD's, and complete OLSP without running sysprep.
12.  Let OLSP do its thing and then shut down the computer.
13.  Take an image at this point to be used on most computers.

I have found so far that using the old driverpacks (v9 I believe) the image has worked on over 20 different makes and models that I am aware of.  With the old driver packs however it does not appear to work on a toshiba A10 but the new driver packs appear to fix that, but I'm not sure if the new driver packs break any other systems yet.  I did try using OLSP only but ran into some issues (although I cannot remember what they were at this point)  What I stated above may not be the "best" way but it works for me.

If you have any questions about the process or suggestions on how it could be done better please let me know. Couldn't have done it without everyone.

Re: Working Universal Image

nullifx thank you for taking the time out to post as you have, I believe it will help others even if they dont post.  I followed another guide, but I managed to pull out of this, and others the fact that v9 needed to be used in builds because it appears to me in the latest version the intel drivers dont work correctly.  Again thank you for taking the time to put this together, as you point out it couldnt be done without everyone.

thanks for the info but why 64 ntldr?

Last edited by ajeeb (2010-07-12 16:38:02)

because there is a limit to the number of mass storage drivers that can be used at one time... each newer version of windows has a higher limit than its predecessor... So by useing a newer version you can include more mass storage drivers without crashing...

Further... the limits in SysPrep are half what they are for Disc and RIS installations. IE 4096 / 2048.

I must warn you that substituting files from another OS is a violation of the MS EULA and is Piracy. We at DriverPacks.net do not condone or recomend the illegal use of MS software. However IF you have lots of licenses (like a school with site licensing) you could burn an extra license specifically for each of your installation disks. Similar to the way BartPE is licensed. For most people using a w2k3 64 server license to do installs is a bit pricey wink.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Is there a guide to running sysprep driver scanner?

http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/#instructions

very intuitive, i did email him some time back to see if he would ever update his guide with respect to new utilities such as "Offlinesysprep" and "Mysysprep", he did say he would get round to it, but clearly nothing yet.

i have personally read his guide several times in the past, very intuitive and well written,

I'm going to make a video of my process with my co worker this week

Did you have to extract the driver files with 7-zip? or just run DP_BASE?