Topic: Lost with DP and Vista/7

Folks:

For the record, I've been using the DP for some time w/ much success.  All of my XP discs use the text-mode Mass Storage drivers, so that I've been able to downgrade many Vista PCs to XP, as well as bootstrap many native XP PCs w/ newer SATA controllers.  Many thanx for the fine work !  (Oh yeah, I work for a nationally-known company here in the US.)

However, Vista/7 support is still unclear.  I've downloaded WinIntegrator and vLite, but they're both much more involved than I have time to devote to them, for the moment.  All I need at this time, is the ability to use the DP's 3rd-party mass-storage drivers to bootstrap Vista/7 onto PCs w/ bleeding-edge controllers from a generic Vista/7 DVD.

A recent case involved a Vista-based, Acer desktop w/ a nVidia SATA controller that didn't support IDE mode from the BIOS.  Bec of incompatibilities, I didn't (and still don't) have time to get up to speed w/ vLite or WinIntegrator, to learn how to make custom Vista/7 discs.  I only became aware of the new (to me) Vista/7 DriverPacks, when I went searching for solutions on the aforementioned Acer case last week.

The first of my questions is:  Is it possible to simply explode the 7-Zip DP mass storage archives into a folder on my Vista/7 discs, so that I can point the Vista/7 installer to that folder, at bootstrap time ?

2nd question:  Perhaps I've just overlooked it, but is DPS_BASE ever going to crack the Windows 7 "barrier" ?  It would be nice to be able to make a stand-alone DP disc, to load missing drivers en-masse under Vista/7.  I surmise, besides using WinIntegrator or vLite, one expands the DP archives and lets Vista/7 search for missing drivers, one-at-a-time.

Anyway, thanx again for the fantastic work....

Re: Lost with DP and Vista/7

You must use Imagex / DISM to add drivers to Vista / Win7. The two tools you mention are simply GUIs for ImageX and DISM (both part of the MS WAIK)

Try the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) to make this as easy as possable. Which also will use DISM and ImageX as included in the WAIK. If you do not already have WAIK installed on your machine MDT will allow you to download and install it for you by selecting that option from the MDT GUI  wink.

There will be a new tool provided by us for Vista / Win7 (also depending on ImageX and DISM from the  WAIK). DriverPacks BASE will probably not support NT6 going forward.
In the past (NT5) adding drivers was a HUGE, very involved and unforgiving task... With NT6 it is pretty easy, especialy with MDT. On a scale from one to ten, adding drivers to NT5 is about a nine, and adding drivers to NT6 is about a two. tongue

Thanks for the high praise!

Welcome to DriverPacks.net!

Jeff

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I posted my notes from my first attempt at adding drivers to win 7 in our documents section of the site...
Perhaps it will help you, at least with Win 7.
learning to use DISM and then using it to add mass storage drivers to your disc will take you less time than it will take to copy your install Disc to the HDD. check out my notes i linked to below. You will discover that four simple one line commands are all that are neccessary big_smile. 1=mount image 2=extract DriverPack to temp folder 3=add drivers 4=unmount/save image... done!

I refuse to deal with vista at all wink.
I tell customers flat out... upgrade, downgrade or go somewhere else.
And if they are silly enough to tell me they like it and have no problems with it...
Then I will ask them "then why do you need my services?"
and if they are silly enough to persist with "because it's broke"
I answer "Exactly, and from day one right out of the box, and before you ask I won't work on Win ME either" wink tongue

http://driverpacks.net/docs/miscellaneo … er-attempt

I hope that helps you!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I have very bad experience with Vista and now I quit from it and also prohibiting my friends to use Vista. But don't know why now I am feeling not good to do this. because Windows 7 also do some errors in my work as Vista. I contact to Microsoft and waiting for their reply.

spam spam spam, wonderful span, lovely spam!!!

I made some vids that show a bit about integrating drivers into your windows 7 install.wim, also adding raid (mass storage) drivers into boot.wim so your HDD's will be visible and you dont have to use "Load Driver"

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7384

you could post that on the docs section of the main page if you like Ricktendo!

Thanks for the help we can never have too much of that. thanks a million!

Jeff