Topic: Creating a disaster recovery solution from a running server

Hello,

I am currently in charge of a Win2k3 installation which has no proper disaster recovery plan.

We are located on an island so spare parts take long to order and I will for sure NOT get the same hardware if the current server breaks down.

So I tried CA ArcServer with their disaster recovery solution, but it does not really work on different hardware, you need the same hardware.

Then I thought sysprep, but the problem is I sure as h*ll will not run sysprep on this machine and create an image of that, as I fear that this will do terrible things and I might not be able to boot this server up right away.

As this company works 7 hours a week (golf course) I can not shut it down for a weekend.

So, How to prepare a restore image, sysprepped for fresh hardware, without interrupting the server or without damaging it?

best

Re: Creating a disaster recovery solution from a running server

Ghost (or equivilent) the machine before you do anything. Be sure to open the image with Ghost Explorer to verify its integrity wink.

Then sysprep with confidence knowing you have a valid backup you can restore if the worst happens... and it will tongue.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.