Re: [HOWTO] Using DriverPacks w/ Sysprep (Updated for BASE 7.04)

I use offlinesysprep to change the hal. the latest version works great. I haven't had any yet that it wouldn't work on.

Thanks for the info, how can I use offline sysprep with my setup, ie do I boot the VM of say BartPE then run offlinesysprep then create an image of the disk?

as for your process, I have a couple of questions.

step 5: why do you copy the xp cd to sysprep/i386?

I previously was having font issues not sure why however having the CD there stops that from happening, and it gets deleted anyways

you sysprep.bat:
devpath is for adding drivers to the registry. You should be executing devpath on the drivepacks folder not on c:

Yep screwed up there I corrected devpath to be C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D

you don't need the enabling image for amd/intel. you are building in vmware which doesn't even have intelppm.

Gotten rid of that now as well.

for -bmsd
The drivers for bmsd never change so you only need to run it once. As for scanning the drivepacks for mass storage, are you only choosing certain ones? like ide only. If you try to add them all you will definitely run in to memory issues.

I run the -bmsd only once before I run the sysprep.bat

I only get the intel drivers from driverpacks mass storage else I would get the memory problem

Yep screwed up there I corrected DevPath to be C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

there is a limit to the amount of characters you can add to a registry entry!!!

your path looks like %SystemRoot%\inf;C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D;C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D\G\A1;C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D\G\A2

when you use a path like C:\SOFTWARE\DRIVERPACKS\D\ you add 25 characters to EACH entry if you add all drivers with over 1000 folders you add an extra and unneeded 25,000 characters (on top of the existing path lenght of the packs themselves) to the registry entry which has a limit of either 16k or 64k depending on who you believe. If you exceed the limit then NO drivers are installed at all... or sometimes only the first ones that do actually fit, most times none are added if the limit is exceeded. the main packs themsleves are nearly 16k, 16k+25k=BOOM!

We see this issue quite often whe too many 3rd party DriverPack are added. (using the minimal path of c:\d\)

Always keep your path as short as humanly possible IE C:\D\ 
Why do you think we do it that way?... don't you think we would rather call it c:\DriverPacks.net\D\ ? wink
Ever notice that ALL the folders are one or two characters? don't you think we would rather name them like Intel or Nvidia?
there is a REASON for everything!!! - KISS method - don't change stuff until you know what it does or why it is. wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

lol,

thanks for that. makes complete sense. I will adjust accordingly and try and use KTD to move them.

for KTD can I use the Path of just C:\D\

or do I have to specify each folder to keep it=e C:\D\M,C:D\whatever

for the xp cd: I used to have problems with the fonts too. I used to just copy the fonts to sysprerp/i386. I later found out that if you remove the installfilespath from the sysprep.inf, there won't be anymore font issues.
for ktd: I think to be safe you need to list every folder individually. Overflow would know if that bug was fixed.
for offlinesysprep: create bartpe with offline sysprep, run it and choose autoconfig hal on first boot, click on advanced, click the check box next to complete offline sysprep without running sysprep.exe, click apply, then on the first screen click apply. It should only take a few seconds. Then image.

I did remove MakePNF from DriverPacks BASE but only in the nightly versions
that fix has not made it into an official release yet...

DON'T use KTD!
KTD uses MakePNF,
MakePNF = BOOM!

In case you haven't heard I would rather be tied to the railroad tracks in front of a speeding locomotive than use sysprep. But I digress...

Best Practice for DriverPacks with SysPrep is SAD... If i did not give a hoot about my image size at all then I would:

Open BASE Create a SAD folder Selecting only CPU and M1 this will create a valid folder structure.
Then I would extract all the remaining packs to the DriverPacks.net folder (this should extract all the packs to DriverPacks.net\D\)
Then i would copy all the files and the \D\ folder from the DriverPacks.net folder to the root of your HDD that you intend to image.
Then extract DevPath from DriverPacks BASE\bin\wnt5_x86-32\M2.7z
Then Run DevPath C:\D
- This adds the entire folder structure (all sub-folders added recursively) to the DevPath registry entry.
- Now all the drivers are available to minisetup wink - this is what KTD was intended to do, but doesn't wink.
- Verify that the first entry is still %SystemRoot%\INF in the registry - I have had reports that it goes missing wink.
Add a call to dp_Inst_tool.cmd somewhere... runonce, guirunonce, whatever you like.
- DP install tool will make a second pass on the machine to check for missing drivers then run the DriverPacks Finisher and finally removes the entire DriverPacks setup from the target.

If you wish to update a machines drivers at any time after the install then SAD M2 may be run from a thumbdrive, ODD or Network Share.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

is there any secret code/switch in the finisher to have it not delete the drivers?

as a matter of fact there is...

It was a request from another one of you crazy sysprep dudes... wink tongue

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2700

Implemented by me in BASE 8.09

edit the Finisher INI (DPsFnshr.ini) and add this line
DPsRootDel  = "False"

{Shhhh... it's a secret switch wink }

Personally i don't see much point...
after the drivers are installed it's just taking up space and fragmenting the HDD.

- actually now that i think about it this switch is automatically added by my dp_inst_tool script...
It prevents an M1 source from being deleted by SAD... (it's truly sad when your M1 SAD just suddenly disappears). tongue

In order for the finisher to clean up the DriverPacks like i said in my above post it would be necessary to
"REM" the below line in the script....

Echo DPsRootDel  = "false"            >> %DPFL%

IE

REM Echo DPsRootDel  = "false"            >> %DPFL%

In other words the default behavior is NOT to delete the DriverPacks (M1 only)...

bigfoot wrote:

I use offlinesysprep to change the hal. the latest version works great. I haven't had any yet that it wouldn't work on.

as for your process, I have a couple of questions.

step 5: why do you copy the xp cd to sysprep/i386?
you sysprep.bat:
devpath is for adding drivers to the registry. You should be executing devpath on the drivepacks folder not on c:
you don't need the enabling image for amd/intel. you are building in vmware which doesn't even have intelppm.

for -bmsd
The drivers for bmsd never change so you only need to run it once. As for scanning the drivepacks for mass storage, are you only choosing certain ones? like ide only. If you try to add them all you will definitely run in to memory issues.

I copied the XP i386 folder to c:\sysprep\i386 because in a previous universal image everything worked great except during the sysprep stage on reboot it would throw up a dialog box wanting to know the location of 3 different files from the i386 folder and was looking for them under c:\sysprep\i386.

Just figured I'd save myself the hassle and put it all where it wanted it.

As far as Mass Storage drivers go, if I knew how to just give it the Intel drivers and the drivers for the new Acer Aspire One that my image doesn't work on I would be happy. But I've been really busy with other things and just don't have the time to sit down and figure it out.

Try to add this to sysprep.inf:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I2\IASTOR70.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I3\IAAHCI.INF" ; hdc - Intel(R) 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5029&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I3\IAAHCI.INF" ; hdc - Intel(R) EP 80579 SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I4\iaStor.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I4\iaStor.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I4\iaStor.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I4\iaStor.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104="C:\D\M\I4\iaStor.inf" ; SCSIAdapter - Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106="C:\D\M\I4\iaAHCI.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2680="C:\D\M\I5\ESB2ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 631xESB/6321ESB/3100 Chipset Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2680
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269E="C:\D\M\I5\ESB2ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 631xESB/6321ESB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 269E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0="C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C4="C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DF="C:\D\M\I5\ich7ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820="C:\D\M\I5\ich8ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825="C:\D\M\I5\ich8ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2828="C:\D\M\I5\ich8ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2850="C:\D\M\I5\ich8ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920="C:\D\M\I5\ich9ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2921="C:\D\M\I5\ich9ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2921
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926="C:\D\M\I5\ich9ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2928="C:\D\M\I5\ich9ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2928
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_292D="C:\D\M\I5\ich9ide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A00="C:\D\M\I5\ichaide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A06="C:\D\M\I5\ichaide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A06
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A20="C:\D\M\I5\ichaide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A26="C:\D\M\I5\ichaide.inf" ; hdc - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26

Ok I need to ask the mass brain a quick question here if you don't mind smile

I know that the guide written here is a bit oudated, and I have read though all 8 pages about how to do this... and I'm 95% of the way there.

I know it was mentioned that you can do a runonce command to pull the dp_install_tool.cmd and use method 2 for installing all the needed drivers.  This seems like the best method for what I am wanting to do, but at the same time I do not see (or didn't see) any guide or walkthough for doing this.

I know I need to add the mass storage drivers to my sysprep.inf, and that's not a problem.

I was just looking for confirmation that what I am wanting to do is possible without extracting all the .7z files to c:\D and pointing the dpfinisher to it like previously mentioned in the 1st post.

smile

Thanks for your help.

**edit**

I digress... I think I was up too late last night and missed something.  Hold off on your "wtf read the topic" replies.

thx.

Last edited by ssx4life (2010-04-18 02:53:49)

Nope no dice.... close but no dice.

I need some more help on this topic please.

I plan on using Fog to do my imaging (although any imaging software would work... but bartPE is out of the question)

For Windows XP I'll be using the Multi Core HAL because I no longer have any single core systems.

What I want to do is build a Windows XP Universial Hardware Independent Image, but I need some help getting off the ground if you don't mind.

I know that the last few posts here were helpful, but I don't use offline sysprep for several reasons.

What I want to do is this.

1.  Run Sysprep with just the mass storage drivers.

I know that using the sysprep driver scanner, it can definably help - http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/index.shtml  Does anyone have experience using this?

2.  After the sysprep runs I want to use the Driverpacks to run method 2 using the DP_Install_Tool.cmd which shouldn't be too hard, but i've run into a few snags

Do I need to extract all the drivers to c:/D first?  Can I leave them compressed as .7z?  I know that in your guides you mentioned previously to have them already extracted so they get auto detected with Sysprep runs.

Just looking for some clarification please.  i'd love to write and updated guide on this for people that come after me.

thankx

i agree, would be nice if the original guide was updated, or perhaps a new one made,

i'm confused a little concerning what tools should be used,

Offlinesysprep
Sysprep driver scanner,
Mysysprep,

for example, if offlinesysprep is used, does that mean we don't need the other two tools listed,

and should we at anytime use driverpacks TOOLS (driverpacks themselves always get used) if Offlinesysprep is being used?

there are quite a few guides on google about this, but more often then not, they are quite unclear, out of date, or don't include the Offlinesysprep tool (which of course is a must have tool now)

Last edited by Registered (2010-04-20 01:48:14)

If we can just get a nice quick and dirty how to for the new DP 8.X it would be amazing.  Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Let mek now how I can help.

Thanks in advance!

you guys are more than welcome to do that. If you each detail what you do and works for you then perhaps we can merge two or three How to's into a single Tutorial. that tutorial can be put on the home page (the "Doc" section of the home page is a 'wiki' style page that you guys can edit to wink. So let's pool our experience here into several 'how i do it' style posts. perhaps between the currently active members [QuadDamage, Registered, Detard, ssx4life, etc...] we can make a current and flexible outline for people to use. Obviously it will need to be worked on quite a bit. Some people will want to use OLSP other will not. Some people will start with a DriverPacks slipstreamed source and not need to use OLSP or -bsmd. some people will opt for KTD / SAD M1 with DevPath. Others will opt for SAD M2. the many ways to get there will have to be outlined so a user can choose thier best option and then fine the details to implement the best options for them. No small task. DriverPacks is based on teamwork, as a team perhaps you crazy sysprep dudes can pull it off. We will certainly be here to help, as always!

Jeff

Hey ssx4life! got your email.

I don't do sysprep... I HATE sysprep, I would rather do root canal tongue. But the other crazy sysprep guys are here for you!

I guess I would consider myself inexpierenced when it comes to sysprep I suppose, perhaps this is 1/2 my problem.

I've done sysprep for years, I've done driverpacks for years, but I've never combined them.

If Detard or someone else can point me in the right direction it would be greatly apprecated.  Perhaps we need a wiki of some sorts?

Same thing can be said for the Windows Vista / 7 Driverpacks.

Being inexperienced is a good thing for a Guide... It gives you the perspective of a newbie, a very good thing when one is considering creating a guide big_smile

Wiki is here http://driverpacks.net/docs  as I stated earlier (win 7 documentation is started AKA DISM)

Let me rephrase that a bit overflow... smile

I'm a newb when it comes to integrating both systems together.

Here is my standard procedure for my DVD installs of XP

XP PRO + SP3 Slipstreamed
1 Piece Update Pack (for updates beyond SP3)
Make .ISO
Add my OEM Scan project to the source
Make .ISO
Add Driverpacks to the Source
Add modified WINNT.SIF and Custom WINNTBBU.DLL theme
Make .ISO

Test the living h*ll outta it smile

The reason I make so many .iso's is so I can easily go back and change something if I want.  If I go from SP3 base to Driverpacks and miss a step somewhere it's a pain in the @#$ to fix. =/

I've done sysprep before and had no problems.  If I had a choice, I'd make a base HII of XP + SP3 + Updates and include only Mass Storage and LAN drivers in the base image.  Once it loads XP after the mini setup I'd run Method 2 of the Driverpacks, but I still haven't found a way to do this.

I'm also wanting to run oemscan via the runonce command as well.  This is because I want to sysprep an HII for systems that come in the door for repair, but don't use VLK's.

I know I'm on the right path, and I know method 2 can be used for after sysprep..... but with the current guide it includes Method 1 which is a bit less than friendly.

=/

Last edited by ssx4life (2010-04-20 08:25:10)

SAD M2 is the answer for most of the main packs... IF you have already integrated Mass textmode

I would include chipset and LAN via devpath. since most drivers depend on chipset it should be available to minisetup. Failure to do so may require you to run SAD twice. IE if chipset is not installed then any devices that depend on chipset will need reinstalled after chipset is installed (cut down or eliminate re-enumeration).

So integrate Mass textmode. Devpath Chipset, CPU, and LAN. SAD M2 for Graphics, Sound, WLAN and Mass (for PnP mode drivers).

I did not think you were a noob big_smile. I meant it in so far as you clarified it. You, just like me, have a unique perspective to sysprep with DriverPacks. It's the perspective of unfamiliarity, again that is a GOOD perspective for creating a guide... you are more likely to avoid the pitfalls of making assumtions and skipping over provideing details of seemingly obvious steps.

I think I have a simplified process for running Sysprep with Driverpacks now smile

So simple in fact that even a non techie could do it!  I'll post more later, but for now I'm doing a test to see if everything is working as intended.

Registered wrote:

i'm confused a little concerning what tools should be used,

Offlinesysprep
Sysprep driver scanner,
Mysysprep,

for example, if offlinesysprep is used, does that mean we don't need the other two tools listed

Yes, that's correct. At one point in time if you needed to do HAL detection at first boot then you needed to use MySysprep. But I've now added that capability to OfflineSysPrep. In fact, OfflineSysPrep handles a couple extra HALs that MySysprep doesn't support: MySysprep will only handle swaps between uniprocessor and multiprocessor, whereas OfflineSysPrep handles those as well as acpipic and standard HALs.

Also, OfflineSysPrep used to make use of Sysprep Driver Scanner, but that task has now been replaced by an internal function so Sysprep Driver Scanner is no longer needed too.

Regards,
Galapo.

Last edited by Galapo (2010-04-28 12:48:36)

ssx4life -

I was just wondering if you ever posted your simplified process for using driverpacks with sysprep.  I've searched these forums and am still having trouble.  Please let me know if you have posted your guide/instructions.

Thank you,

LAN

I just updated my Vmware Server with the new version of the Driver Packs and has worked on 4 of 4 so far

Dell GX 620
GX 240
GX 260
Otiplex 755
Will test more and upload a video or something when I got time

You guys should really build your images on a Vmware Machine, you can take snap shots and you don't have to make ISO just go off of snap shots, then use BART PE to make a virtual to physical computer.

V TO P smile