Topic: Win 7 x64 huge Filerepository foldersize

Hi!

I used Dism to add x64 driver-packs, to Win 7 x64 Basic, Premium, Professional and Ultimate, and the installation works perfect on all editions (on vmware),  but when i checked the Filerepository on the installed virtual-machine, the folder size is 8.5GB, but the unpacked driver-packs size is only 1.78GB.

So it seems that when adding drivers, it install every inf file, so if a driver contains more then one inf file, it install every inf file and copies the necessary file/files to separate folders, thus the increase of size. For example: The  DP_Audio_wnt6-x64_1004\x64\S\Realtek\1 contains 24 inf files, and in Filerepository on the installed virtual-machine, i found 24 folders with the same driver-files.

So is this normal or will it cause problems, maybe it's better to just add the hardware specific drivers?.

These are the driver-pack i used.

DP_Audio_wnt6-x64_1004
DP_Chipset_wnt6-x64_1003
DP_Graphics_A_wnt6-x64_1004
DP_Graphics_B_wnt6-x64_1004
DP_Graphics_Mobile_wnt6-x64_1004
DP_LAN_wnt6-x64_1003
DP_MassStorage_wnt6-x64_1003
Wlan_x64_912

Best regards Ric.

Re: Win 7 x64 huge Filerepository foldersize

That is normal

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Yes, it's an unfortunate side effect of using DISM.
Hopefully we can come up with another method that conserves space better (like method-2 does for XP).

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Ok, thanks for fast reply.

This isn't really a problem for me, i have a 500GB system HDD and i never used more than 200GB of it, but planing to buy a 80GB SSD Intel as a System HDD, then it would become a problem, but in the end the SSD disk's will increase in size and be much cheaper, so those extra 7GB of drivers wont matter.
It's bad that Dism don't support removing drivers online.

ric30 wrote:

Or ANY online driver manipulation!  I know!  I wish M$ would allow that.
Your only recourse is to delete the contents of %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
But that would probably cause a whole host of problems...I haven't tried it.

mr_smartepants wrote:
ric30 wrote:

Or ANY online driver manipulation!  I know!  I wish M$ would allow that.
Your only recourse is to delete the contents of %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
But that would probably cause a whole host of problems...I haven't tried it.

I excuted this command through command promt.

TAKEOWN /F "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /R
ICACLS "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /T /L /GRANT *S-1-1-0:F
RD /s /Q "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\*"

And it removed almost every driver except for the original ones, 10 newer drivers was not removed.
This is only tested i vmware workstation with Win 7 Ultimate x86, but so far no problems.

Nice.
But try it on real hardware.  I bet Win7 coughs up a hairball.

mr_smartepants wrote:

Nice.
But try it on real hardware.  I bet Win7 coughs up a hairball.

I am gonna try that, and see what happens....

Ok tried it on a real machine, but couldn't  even remove the drivers sad

But i experienced the same thing with this computer that i did with virtualbox.

The real machine has a integrated Realtek soundcard AC'97, but the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo driver is installed instead and causing a yellow triangle, and it says resource conflict(code12)
I  uninstall with the option to remove driver, and the realtek driver installed instead automatic, all ok.
The graphics-card is a Intel 82865G extreme graphics 2, and theres no driver for that in driver-packs, so it should install the default vga driver?, but there also a yellow triangle and resource conflict(code12), and no other drivers can be installed?.

I tried and installed a clean copy of win 7 x86 on the real machine, and there are no yellow triangle, and resource conflicts (code12), and i installed the Intel 82865G extreme graphics 2 driver in compatibility mode (xp sp3) and all worked just fine.

The same thing with "yellow triangle and resource conflict(code12)" happens in virtualbox, with win7 x86 with integrated drivers, for sound-card ICH AC97, network-card PCnet-FAST III and the graphics, and no other drivers can be installed, tried to install the guest addon, that contain drivers, but doesn't work.

Has anybody else experienced this kind of behaviour, and does anybody know why no other drivers can be installed and the reason for resource conflict(code12)

There is a problem between the Realtek (generic) and Via vinyl (specific) drivers.  But the only way to solve it is to edit the .inf which breaks signing and DISM won't integrate them anymore without the /forceunsigned switch.
There are no drivers for the 865G graphics chip for Win7. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … p;lang=eng
You should not install Win7 on hardware that old. wink

mr_smartepants wrote:

There is a problem between the Realtek (generic) and Via vinyl (specific) drivers.  But the only way to solve it is to edit the .inf which breaks signing and DISM won't integrate them anymore without the /forceunsigned switch.
There are no drivers for the 865G graphics chip for Win7. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … p;lang=eng
You should not install Win7 on hardware that old. wink

I know that there is no driver for the graphics-card for win7, i am a terrible writer, i know smile, but what i wounder is, why are that a conflict when it uses the original standard vga driver that comes with win7, if i install a version of win7 without the driver-packs, there is no conflict, and i can install another driver.

You say edit the .inf file, to break the signing, i don't understand what to edit in the the .inf file, and which .inf file to edit, because there are 3 .inf files in that directory.
Can i just comment out the CatalogFile in the .inf files, and the signing breaks?

Thanks for your patience, with these questions, but i realize that i miss a lot of knowledge how this stuff works, and goggling just make me confused, do you have any tip on where i can start at.

Best regards Ric30