Topic: The 'Found New Hardware' Dialog and USB Keyboards

This isn't a DP problem, but since it involves device drivers, I hope someone knowledgeable around these parts can help.  Have custom XP OEM disc, which is part DP text-mode mass storage drivers and some nLite tweaks (nothing radical.)  All has been working quite well for a long time, except in the last two weeks, certain Dells (not sure if only Dells, but...) once returned to the customer, immediately come back to my shop bec when the owners install their own USB keyboard+mouse and XP hangs @ the 'Found New Hardware' dialog.  Naturally, I'd setup the PCs w/ a USB keyboard, so the problem is that XP sees a different USB keyboard and fails.  Of course, the USB mouse hasn't been detected yet, so the only thing possible is to power the PC off.  Now, one example of this behavior (a USB-only Optiplex) is sitting in my cabinet at work, looking for a wipe and redo, simply bec it no longer recognizes my USB keyboard+mouse !  Obviously, there is some subtle defect on my latest disc, since I've changed USB keyboards/mouses while Windows is running and heretofore XP hasn't skipped a beat.  (Oh yeah, can't use an earlier revision of the XP disc, either.)

Been GOOGLEing for an answer with little success.  Most answers involve the suggestion of a 'clean install', which is impossible bec these ARE clean installs.  (Sadly, too many so-called techs never modify anything, so they respond to everything w/ the obvious answer:  reformat and start all over again !)  Another suggestion is to delete the INFCACHE and let Windows rebuild it, which I intend to try when I return to work on Monday.

In case this is unsuccessful, I'm hopeful someone here has something else I can try, like a mod to my XP disc or something I can look at, maybe some additional registry settings (haven't played w/ anything device-related in the past.)

TIA....Jet

Re: The 'Found New Hardware' Dialog and USB Keyboards

Did you remove any drivers with nlite?  I had a similar issue where there would be a LONG delay (30+ sec) when connecting USB mouse.  But I can't remember what I changed to fix it. 
I don't use nlite anymore, so maybe that will fix your issue.  I use RVMi removal addons to strip things out now and have my own winnt.sif for unattended options.
Your problem isn't with the USB ports or drivers because your USB ports were obviously working when you set up the systems and before the customers pick up their systems. 
I think the problem is with the device manager (or registry) and how XP handles new device detection.
Here's a link to a M$ document on devcon and how to manipulate it from the command line: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
Hope this helps.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

does the keyboard work for BIOS setup or f8 / safemode?
IE if the MB does not recognize it first then it is not a windows issue, It's a hardware / BIOS issue  big_smile.

One trip thru safemode may be all that is neccessary (rather than a reload). Assuming the MB sees it.

I agree with mr_s that nLite may be the culprit... if it is not a hardware issue.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

mr_smartepants wrote:

Did you remove any drivers with nlite?  I had a similar issue where there would be a LONG delay (30+ sec) when connecting USB mouse.  But I can't remember what I changed to fix it. 
I don't use nlite anymore, so maybe that will fix your issue.  I use RVMi removal addons to strip things out now and have my own winnt.sif for unattended options.
Your problem isn't with the USB ports or drivers because your USB ports were obviously working when you set up the systems and before the customers pick up their systems. 
I think the problem is with the device manager (or registry) and how XP handles new device detection.
Here's a link to a M$ document on devcon and how to manipulate it from the command line: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
Hope this helps.

No, I didn't remove ANY drivers w/ nLite, but did add a driver, which wasn't part of DriverPacks.  Removed that driver, just to be safe.  In fact, I just went back and reviewed all of my settings, which were fairly conservative, like removing all but the English and Western European keyboards.  Don't have time to learn something new like RVM, but will consider it for the future.

Will keep fingers crossed.  Thanx....Jet

OverFlow wrote:

does the keyboard work for BIOS setup or f8 / safemode?
IE if the MB does not recognize it first then it is not a windows issue, It's a hardware / BIOS issue  big_smile.

One trip thru safemode may be all that is neccessary (rather than a reload). Assuming the MB sees it.

I agree with mr_s that nLite may be the culprit... if it is not a hardware issue.

Don't recall trying Safe Mode.  Well worth the effort, as opposed to another reload.  But, yes the keyboard does work outside of Windows, in the BIOS, using WinPE, or Linux.

I removed the one driver I added to the image using nLite, maybe that was screwing up driver ops.  Thanx....Jet

SOLVED !  It turns out that clearing the INFCACHE didn't do anything, safe mode was no help, BUT preventing nLite from inserting drivers did the trick !  Was able to hot-swap keyboards/mouses, as well as switch them between starts and they're recognized as generic HID devices.

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to abandon nLite, bec it's very effective as a single tool.  Thanx for the feedback, guys....Jet

I am pretty sure our Guide / tutorial says quite clearly

"NEVER EVER use nLite to add drivers"

Silly boy!

Glad you fixed it

PS two things to do here:
Create your own 3rd party DriverPack
Submit your missing driver to us so we can include it!

Make that three, check to see if we have a 3rd party DriverPack that already includes your missing driver.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

OverFlow wrote:

I am pretty sure our Guide / tutorial says quite clearly

"NEVER EVER use nLite to add drivers"

Silly boy!

Glad you fixed it

PS two things to do here:
Create your own 3rd party DriverPack
Submit your missing driver to us so we can include it!

Make that three, check to see if we have a 3rd party DriverPack that already includes your missing driver.

On advise of counsel, I withdraw my previous statement and plead the Fifth !  big_smile  However, I do RTFM and what it actually says is:

Do not use nLite to integrate uncompressed DriverPacks as they are not going to be correctly processed during windows setup.

I read that as don't explode DriverPacks archives, but maybe it should read as you've stated above.  I will look into how important that driver really is/was and if there's a ready-made DriverPacks solution.

IAC, thanx for the great software and tech support !....Jet

As for the nLite driver thing:
Well, maybe we are blinded by our job, but it seems kinda silly to add a driver using nLite when you are going to use BASE anyhow.
Also, we have stated more than once that you are not supposed to add or remove drivers with nLite if you plan to use BASE (I think it's in the FAQ, dunno about the Tut, but yes, it should be in there!).

Anyway, not to be a killjoy, but the nLite terms clearly state that the programme is not to be used  commercially. Only private use is permitted - so you may want to reconsider...
This does not apply to BASE, though, so go ahead with that one wink

Driverpacks base needs a 'preserve repair install option' then I would quit using nLite

actually that is an "Option". although it is a manual option...
We don't support attended installs...

open the winnt.sif and remove the [Unattended] section including the header... That's it... repair option restored.
Of course now you have an attended install...