Re: [IMPLEMENTED] Mute during KTD

proximous wrote:

Is there a reason you are running DPsFnshr.exe before Devpath.exe?  Does order matter?

Yes because DriverPacks Finisher resets it to "%SystemRoot%\INF" as part of it's cleanup.

So, if you don't run DevPath AFTER the finisher runs then your DevPath will only include  "%SystemRoot%\INF".

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks!  I'm testing this now. 

I guess I need to change this 'feature request' from Mute for KTD, to Change KTD to automated DevPath wink

LOL...

It's already on the todo list. wink http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=71

Thanks for helping us to help you, it is that spirit that 'drives' the DriverPacks!

recomended title: [REQ] Repair KTD feature please!

PS there are many ways to achieve this same result while you are waiting for me to fix this feature.
I only suggested one of many possable solutions.
IE you may simply extract the packs / folders you want and update the registry key from a script .

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

I can't find %SystemDrive%\Devpath.exe either in the root directory or the windows directory.  The only place I can find it is on the CDROM in OEM/BIN.  Is that right?

it will only be at %SystemRoot% AFTER presetup.cmd runs, and will only be there until the finisher runs.  In my example above the file is copied during that time frame wink.

Yes it will always be in the OEM\bin folder for an m2 install.
It is a little harder to locate there because you may not know in advance what driver letter the ODD will be assigned, so it requires the extra code to perform a search of some kind... wink.

Hum, I don't see it.  I followed your example trying to copy before the finisher, and it never worked.  So I added a CMD prompt to the runonce right before the finisher, did a directory and other poking around and couldn't find it.  Might it have a different file name?

were all of the other files there? the \D\ folder and the ini files, the finisher, mute, ect?

the problem with runonceex and guirunonce is they don't stop...
the commands are executed one right after the other. Bam, bam, Bam.
there is no waiting for the first command to finish before calling the second or third or forth one.
That was why I was quick to point out that I had not tested it wink.

It may work as intended if you create and call a script

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\MyKTD.cmd"

myKTD.cmd

start /wait copy %SystemDrive%\D\3\pack1 %SystemRoot%\D\
start /wait copy %SystemDrive%\D\3\pack2 %SystemRoot%\D\
start /wait copy %SystemDrive%\Devpath.exe %SystemRoot%\D\
start /wait %SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe
%SystemRoot%\D\Devpath.exe %SystemRoot%\D

in this way you can insure that the commands are executed one after the other, instead of all being called at the same time wink.

you could add a few lines or call a script from  the presetup.cmd file as an alternate solution wink
as i said i can think of 100 different ways to pull this off wink.

Thanks for your help.  I currently have it set to copy Devpath.exe from the DVD, and everything works.

Yes, all of the other files are there (mute.exe, devcon.exe, dpfnshr.exe, \D\, and some others).  DpFnshr.exe definitely did not run, and devpath.exe wasn't there.

I'll do some more tests.  Maybe I'm messing something up.

at this rate i may have it fixed in DriverPacks BASE before i explain how to do a workaround wink.

I just double checked presetup.cmd .... And I was mistaken!

devpath is run from the CD/DVD it is NOT copied to systemroot like I thought... (embarassed) Sorry!

No problem.  I was in the process of proving it by having my installer not run the Finisher so I could see all the files. 

I did take your caveat to heart and was willing to do the testing.  I think I have it working now (using devpath from the DVD wink ).

As an FYI, I had to do it a bit differently then you suggested.  I don't know why, but the exact commands you suggested resulted in command windows opening up that I had to manually type exit to close.  What I found to work was:

cmd /c start /wait xcopy /s /i /y %SystemDrive%\D\3\LCD %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks\LCD

I had to change it from COPY to XCOPY.  I then added some flags to XCOPY to ensure it wouldn't error if the directory was missing and such.  I also used the more friendly name of "DriverPacks" in the Windows folder, and I dropped the "3" since I'm only keeping 3rd party packs.

To run devpath, I had to drop the START /WAIT for some reason...it was aggravating getting this to work...

cmd /c %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks\Devpath.exe %SystemRoot%\DriverPacks

I also added another clean up that maybe should be considered for the Finisher:

cmd /c del /q %SystemDrive%\DriverPack*.txt

I find that some packs (especially nightlies) have a changelog at the very top of the 7z file, which then hangs around at C:\ when all is done.  The above cleans them out.

Thanks again for your help!

LOL you were doing so well now i have to thwart you...

Since Nightlies are for testing only no command to remove the text files will be added to the process...

You were going to format it and use the official releases for actual production machines wern't you?
Everyone knows Nightlies are never to be used for production. and official releases don't have .txt files in them wink

ROFL  have a happy new year!

Thanks for the feed back!

PS that is one of the tip offs that a user is sneaking into the nightly stash wink

They say something like i get these strange XML and TXT files in systemdrive... WTF?

It's a dead giveaway they are breaking the rules. LOL!

Guilty as charged wink

Some of the packs are getting a bit old...so I am using the nightlies...cause even some of the nightlies are getting old wink

totally understand...

Those files contain info that allows the team to share info about what was done and hopefully by whom without having to read through the whole thread where it is posted wink. It also makes it easy for one team member to pickup where another had left off...

It also will allow those 'sneakers' to see what the changes were / are
Especially since they don't have access to the testing team forum to view the comments that are posted there big_smile...
that is to say that they are helpful to people like you LOL wink

Alternate solution: Unpack the nightly read the notes and repack without them. It is a win win solution!

PS
Giving feedback on success or failure of a nightly is considered VERY COOL, and just may earn you testing team status wink.  BigBrit is my testing team hero - he will almost daily post a HWIDS dump (In code tags! ... Thud.) followed by "It worked perfect!" and that is just about as good as it gets for the packs team and myself!!! It's like winning a game, match or race. Praise and donations are rare at a support forum. The only thing more elusive is help wink.

It usually impresses me that they were found and used, since it demonstrates resourcefulness. I will often respond with a comment like "He used Search! Thud... Sorry I fell out of my chair!" The nightly server is not a secret, but it is not openly advertised either... big_smile I reason to myself if they can find it / them on their own then they are probably bright enough to deal with any issues that may result from using them. wink Which brings me to another point, we only have a handful of people who work on them, and its not easy to update them. So it takes a while to get them stable enough to release. We prefer to have stable and reliable DriverPacks rather than having up to date ones that cause BSODs or other poor results. We would rather get a report of a missing driver or have a report of an out of date driver than get a report of a crash or corruption.

I've been using them for a while, so I guess I owe some posts about my success roll

Reports of success leads to those up to date releases we all like!!!

Jaak calls that "Helping us to help you." That is the spirit that 'drives' us here at DriverPacks.net.

Thanks for being one of the guys that does exactly that.

Kudos to you!

Jeff