Topic: [REQ] Sigmatel HD Audio Not Working(Device Cannot Start)-Sony Vaio VGN

Hello all,
First time posting but I've been cruising this site on and off for some time.

Have a question:
At my work, we just got this Vaio laptop(VGN-FE890N) and it came with Vista Business on it.  We do a lot of development and don't have Vista-compatible Tools yet so I had to install XP Pro instead.  Long story short, the audio won't work properly.  I used the drivers from soundpack A in D/S/S/U with the sthda.inf file.  The device installs and then throws an error saying it cannot start code 10.  The following is the hwid's:

===========
HD devices
===========

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1002\4&B1E7652&0&0001: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_2BFA&SUBSYS_104D0200&REV_0900\4&B1E7652&0&0102: HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
2 matching device(s) found.

Any ideas fellas?  For some more background on the laptop itself, the important specs are as follows:
Core2 Duo
Intel 945 mobo
Conexant HD Aud. SoftV92 Modem (Also was a pain to get installed, but finally worked)
nVidia Go 7400 Vid Card

Everything else installed fine.  But really...this audio thing has been haunting me for about three days running and I would appreciate and help you guys can provide!

Thanks!
Bombay

EDIT:  Added REQ in the Subject.

Last edited by bombayh3at (2007-03-16 13:03:04)

Re: [REQ] Sigmatel HD Audio Not Working(Device Cannot Start)-Sony Vaio VGN

If anyone can please help I'd really appreciate it.  I'm running out of ideas myself.  The only new idea I found from searching around was trying a bios update, which isn't exactly the ideal solution on a Vaio laptop.  PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks,
Bombay

Sounds like you're having the same issues as the folks in this thread.

Have you tried installing KB888111 from M$?
I believe that fixes a bunch of HDAudio problems prior to installing drivers.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

bombayh3at wrote:

The only new idea I found from searching around was trying a bios update, which isn't exactly the ideal solution on a Vaio laptop.

Why not?
Just curious, because I have done several updates on my laptop so far and it wasn't any different than for a desktop system.
Then again, IDK how Sony handles this and whether they actually offer updates...

a BIOS update is not needed.

get soundpack B, and get 7zip
unpack soundpack B

find STHDA.inf
add this line under [SigmaTel]
%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1002\4&B1E7652&0&0001

save, close, and repack soundpack B
call it DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_703test.7z, and use it for a test.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Hello,
Ive been surfing the web the past 3 days and this post by bombayh3at is basicly the same problem I've been having with my Sony vaio notebook VGN-FE880E. My labtop came with windows vista home premium, Reformated to Windows XP home SP2 the other night.   I'm also getting a code 10 while tring to force the SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC to download. I'm willing to try anything. Jtdoom if u can give me more of a step by step on the Soundpack B that would be great.
thanks again.

Hi
copy or get soundpack B, (where the required driver is in), and put it in a empty folder
and get 7zip ( at http://www.7-zip.org )
install 7zip

rightclick and unpack soundpack B
you will find a D folder and an INI file
next, find STHDA.inf
open the INF with notepad

you'll find a section [sigmatel]

add this line under [SigmaTel]
%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1002\4&B1E7652&0&0001
save, close, and now you have to repack soundpack B
(select BOTH the INI and the D folder, and 7zip it. )

call it DP_Sound_B_wnt5_x86-32_703test.7z

copy this to driverpacks folder, and use it for a test.
and, if it works, PLEASE post the result, so we can implement this.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

OH
a quick test would be to just try the edited driver... I cannot do this, I don't have the hardware that requires it.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

If no reply , please close

thx

Did this fix work? I have exactly the same problem with a VAIO VGN-FE870E...I tried the updated sound pack B driver and I got a code 53 error saying the driver couldn't load...now it's back to code 10 the device won't start...I am ready to throw my VAIO out the window...never again will I buy a Sony...any ideas?

my hwid's are:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D0C00&REV_1002\4&B1E7652&1&0001 for the audio device

HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_2BFA&SUBSYS_104D0200&REV_0900\4&B1E7652&1&0102 for the hd modem

Last edited by prophet2k7 (2007-05-12 08:07:51)

Hi,
I have a Sony VAIO VGN-AR41S and I had the problem described in this article (code 10 error for a SigmaTel HDAUDIO driver in Windows 2003 SP1). I have tried installing the drivers from DriverPack Sound B. All of them had the same problem, but one of them miraculously worked: the 26th of May 2006 driver, version 5.10.5067.0, and the BIOS update is not required, neither is the change in any *.INF file was required! So go ahead, get the DriverPack on the home page and get the sound working! big_smile

My HWID is:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7664&SUBSYS_104D2200&REV_1002\4&159680D3&9&0001

Which driver was it that worked ? 
26th of May 2006 driver, version 5.10.5067.0 of what? can you give us the folder name and the driverpack version of the one that did work? and can you test a driverpack if we add the HWID to it?

Last edited by OverFlow (2007-11-08 16:17:36)

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

I confirm the findings of Trajector.

Version 05/26/2006,5.10.5067.0 did work on a sony vgn-fz21m, sigmatel hd audio VEN_8384&DEV_7662&SUBSYS_104D1C00&REV_1002

all other versions (that i tried) resulted in "cannot start device"

driver can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Downloads/S … 600-UN.EXE

ok, the driver will be downloaded and added in the next release.