Topic: Driver Base question

I am new here.

I want to know if there is a way to create a driver pack exe/ CD/ packet
that stands alone without being slipstreamed into an OS

thanks

Re: Driver Base question

Welcome to DriverPacks.
Take a look at the tutorial linked in my signature.  It's old, but will point you in the right direction.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

thanks

SAD is the keyword you may want to search for for extra info.

SAD (Stand Alone Driver-updater) it's discussed in the FAQ section and is a selectable option from DriverPacks BASE.

Any DriverPacks sliptreamed media can be used as a SAD.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

dont know why, but when i slipstream SAD to the same disc with OS, the needed drivers will not be installed. Is it ment to be so?

it could mean taht the drivers in sad are not newer than the ones installed on th machine wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

hi
thanks for the help
i created a SAD with all the drivers downloaded from here.
basically folder with DP Install Tool.cmd DPInst.exe DPinst.xml and the drivers as .7z and  a bin folder whose contents i burned to a CD
now only the DP Install Tool.cmd would run
then would finish with the driverpack finisher.

I also have a installation OS with the Driverpacks added to it.

here is my problem.

when i install with OS with the CD WITH driverpacks the end result is a OS with all hardware recognized and drivers working.

When install OS, THEN run SAD, the unrecognized hardware is recognized and some under device manager shows drivers, yet it doesn't work right (EX> soundmax driver is installed, but under sound deviced hardware, no device is present) and others are still unknown.

Previously, I was installing the OS WITH the driverpacks/ backing up drivers/ then installing the OS , then restore the drivers i just backed up.  I was hoping that i could ust create a CD to install the drivers POST OS installation only.  Also a way of updating drivers from a disk without needing to be online.

The question is then, why are the drivers only being installed correctly when installed WITH OS, and why are they not being installed correctly from the SAD.

thanks for assistance

Last edited by gfxcell (2009-12-04 00:51:44)

OverFlow wrote:

it could mean taht the drivers in sad are not newer than the ones installed on th machine wink

Yes, nice try! Unfortunately i removed every driver in drivers.cab with nlite that it offers to remove. Still...no drivers from SAD are used. I guess it could only mean, that some sort of broken inf file is to blame.

kaitsevaim wrote:

Unfortunately i removed every driver in drivers.cab with nlite that it offers to remove.

We do not recommend that users remove drivers with nlite.  DriverPacks are designed to work with the included drivers, not replace them.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

mr_smartepants is correct... the DriverPacks are designed (intentionaly) to be ADDED TO the existing drivers.

If you remove included drivers from the OS then you WILL also remove support for the coresponding hardware devices.

Don't remove ANY included drivers. (PEBKAC may be to blame wink)

yeah, i c. But...i know now that it´s not reccomended, but why should i keep the old and outdated drivers taking up space on my CD or should i in any case use DVD for install if i want every single driverpack to be present on the disc. I wanna fit as much updated drivers on CD as possible, because there are still computers available that do not have DVD reader. I guess support for certain type of hardware is something else than the some kind of driver(s) itself.

Because the included drivers have not been updated for years... and probably are not going to be ever updated again wink

If they are updated it will be available as a MS update wink tongue 
That is to say that they are not outdated, just old.

look at it this way... if we add them to the packs they STILL take up just as much room on the cd... big_smile

Most of us gave up on CD's years ago... dvd or usb! 
If you have a computer so old it only has a cd you have three really good options...
1) install a DVD burner they are only 20 dollars and an upgrade to the customer and a $ervice for you. wink
2) hang a DVD burner they are only 20 dollars - you do have an extra one don't you. wink
3) install from USB DVD, or other USB device.

ok..i got my answer, i think. Unfortunately then i must have dvd-rw always by me going from house to house repairing computers and screw it in and out. No, i dont have an extra one, why should i? Yes, the old computers might also not have USB port to use external dvd drive, which are not that cheap, i think. I´m not from US, but the prices are almost the same. Well...glad that such computers, i mentioned, are history in a little while.

OverFlow wrote:

if we add them to the packs they STILL take up just as much room...

em..why should you add them at all if they are old? Aren´t they totally obsolete if there are updated drivers of them?

the whole point is the hardware that is supported by XP directly is now five to ten years old.
No manufacturer is going to write updated drivers for ten year old hardware. wink
It just doesn't happen. two years is about the max... XP came out in 2003 or so?

example

Included driver... Soundblaster

last update by Creative labs was in 2000...
and there will not be another update for the Creative labs soundblaster card... Never Ever.

It is a very popular card. It will be found in LOTS and LOTS of old computers.

We are not going to add it to the sound packs... Never Ever....
BECAUSE IT IS included with windows. There is no update for it now...  and there never will be!!!

True it is a VERY OLD driver... but there is no newer one than the one provided by MS...
Even if there was, Who Cares?

If you decide against taking our advise and delete the soundblaster driver from windows with nLite-
then you give up ANY and all driver support for the soundblaster card... 
(sure you saved 10 kbytes, so what? It's not enough to matter...
you could save a lot more space deleting the Help files, and nowone will ever need those wink

another example

standard IDE driver... no updates never will be... If you delete the OS's included IDE driver then you have no IDE support.
NO... We are not going to add a standard IDE driver to the packs
BECAUSE IT IS included with windows. There is no update for it now...  and there never will be!!!
True it is a VERY OLD driver (perhaps 1995)... but there is no newer one than the one provided by MS...
Even if there was, Who Cares?

Who said anything about screws? - I said "HANG" it...

- pull the IDE and power cable off their CD ROM
- plug the IDE cable and power into your DVD. Set the DVD ROM on a small box or pile of books NEXT TO, OR ON the open cabinet.
- you don't have to actually INSTALL IT just "hang" it there for 30 min until the install is done wink using the existing CD ROM's cables.

Even if you include the time to open the cabinet... we are talking about ten seconds worth of work wink
Lets face it, If you are servicing the unit then you have to take the side off and check the CPU fan anyway, so really it's like two seconds work.

If someone does not have 20 bucks for a DVD they cant afford to have me fix their PC any way wink

I keep a couple extra in my car and in my truck and i have several in my office. I buy them five and ten at a time wink
In the old days I did the same for floppy drives wink

for 15 bucks you can get a USB to IDE cable (I always have one of those with me too)
If you think you can't get prices like these, then I infer you have never been to NewEgg.com or tigerdirect

Are you a computer tech as your primary profession?

ok...now i see. Thanks for the "red and from wood" explanation, lol. The included drivers in OS are not included in driverpacks. Yes, that makes perfectly sense smile. Really none of them? I know at least realtek network card drivers are both included with OS and driverpacks. That´s why i wondered earlier... smile

First, I advise you to try nLite (www.nliteos.com) to shrink down your install source if you really need to save that extra bit of space.
Second, as to your last question:
IF the drivers included with Windows have been updated, THEN the newer ones are included with the DriverPacks.
However, which that were, I couldn't not tell you and I don't think we have a list of them.
Still, it is entirely possible that the newer drivers DO NOT cover all the HWIDs of the old ones, so if you removed the old MSFT drivers you may lack some support despite having included the newer ones with the DriverPacks.

That is the reason we do not recommend removing any MSFT drivers.
We just don't know what it may break and we want to keep your troubles to a minimum (also saves us some support inquiries wink).