Topic: Do I have to download all versions of driverpacks or only the latest?

Hello,

This is my first post and this is a super newbie question.  I'm working on varied types of computer.  Some are really old and some are new and usually how I search drivers is just by looking at everest + google.  Now I realized what a complete idiot I am if driverpack can help me do my job faster.

Basically what I'm planning is downloading all the driverpacks and creating a DVD disk for XP, Vista and 7.  I can just stick this DVD in the computer and ask it to look for the driver.  My question is Do I have to download all the versions of the driverpacks of each category or do I only have to download the latest one (meaning the latest one also contains the oldest drivers in the category).

Say for example, under the driverpacks of windows xp..   When I download Graphics A 9.06, does it already contain the drivers that Graphics A 8.12.1  and Graphics A 8 10.3 have?

Jun 27, 2009    Windows 2000/XP/2003    x86    Graphics A    9.06            download
Dec 25, 2008    Windows 2000/XP/2003    x86    Graphics A    8.12.1    download
Nov 5, 2008    Windows 2000/XP/2003    x86    Graphics A    8.10.3    download

Many thanks for your help.  Do you also have a suggestion on the extraction process or can I just use any unzipping program and just direct copy it to a DVD?  Many thanks for your help!

Re: Do I have to download all versions of driverpacks or only the latest?

DriverPacks is designed to be slip-streamed into your install.

Use DriverPacks BASE for NT5 platforms -IE 2k, 2k3, and XP. (tutorial link in my signature).
If you do that all your hardware will be supported and updated during the install.

Same for the Vista packs except use the Vista Tool to add them. wink

Win 7 is not done yet...

The driver packs are progressive, all you should ever need is the latest one of each type.
The older ones are available for reference or in case of a BUG.
IE "Hey the old one worked and the new one don't. But I deleted my old one, where can i find it. sad" wink

If you are looking to create a Search-able ODD disc (Optical Disc Drive. IE CD/DVD disc) then check the FAQ for SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) and Search the forum for other hints and known good techniques.
Hint 1: you can create a search-able ODD with DriverPacks BASE. Create a SAD folder using M1 and all packs then burn to ODD media.
Hint 2: you can also use DriverPacks BASE to create a SAD folder (M1) with ONE small pack like CPU and then extract the rest of the packs and not have to wait for them to be cabbed however this will not fit on a CD... It takes a while to cab them and if you're using a DVD the compression and extra time that is required is totally not necessary.

Unzipping them to disc is fine if you manually want to update each driver. that is just a lot of work wink.
SAD includes DPInst.exe and a Script to update all the drivers automatically. big_smile
Simply run the DP_Inst_Tool.cmd script and take a nap wink.

Please take the time to read the tutorials and FAQs. We have been here over five years and just about ANYTHING you can think of has already been extensively discussed here somewhere.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Re: Do I have to download all versions of driverpacks or only the latest?

Many many thanks OverFlow for your answer.  It really makes sense to me now!