Topic: Multi Computer Image: Sysprep + findHWID

I have created a Windows XP image, using a virtual machine on VMWare Server and an XP source slipstreamed with SP3 and all the current driverpacks (KTD option enabled), to be imaged and deployed by a Fog server, to be used on a wide variety of hardware (desktop/laptop, amd/intel, old/new).  Initial trial, syspreped with basic sysprep.inf file (no sysprepmassstorage section, using mini-setup and detect non plug and play hardware options selected) worked with some computers but not all (STOP 7B error before minisetup).  Next trial with modded sysprep.inf file (blank sysprepmassstorage section added with BuildMassStorageSection=Yes option added), this worked with a few more computer types but again still not all.  I am currently trying the following but keep getting the error 'An error occurred while trying to update your registry. Unable to continue' and sysprep fails:

removed the BuildMassStorageSection=Yes option
ran sysprep -bmsd
ran FindHWIDS v3.2j on the \driverpacks\M folder only
added this list to the sysprepmassstorage section of the sysprep.inf file (after the list created by bmsd)
ran sysprep with mini-setup and detect non plug and play hardware options selected.

After about an hour and a number of unsigned driver warnings (clicked continue) and target file exists and is newer than the source (clicked no don't overwrite) messages sysprep crashed with the error updating registry/reseal failed message.  I next tried copying the sysprepmassstorage section to excel and checked for duplicate HWIDs, several were found so I deleted the duplicated values from the driverpacks list and tried again but got the same registry error.

Any ideas why I keep getting this error, is there anyway to pinpoint where the fault is in the sysprepmassstorage section, any ideas for alternative options I can try.

Thanks

Re: Multi Computer Image: Sysprep + findHWID

Welcome to DriverPacks HilcrRWise

Galapo's OffLine SysPrep is the preferred and by far the best method to add DriverPack MassStorage. (sticky in this forum)
It also has features for HAL and other SysPrep related functions.

Don't use KTD... it is depreciated and flawed (makepnf causes lots of issues)... Use the SAD feature of DriverPacks BASE instead

Hint:
Open the DP_Inst_Tool.cmd REM the lines that call the dpinst.exe and DriverPacks Finisher
Run the modded tool.cmd. This will stage the drivers and seed the devpath entry in the registry.
(be sure not to run the finisher as it will delete / cleanup / remove everything wink.)
Optional run 'DPInst.exe /c /s /sh /lm /el /sa' in runonce or runonceex so it will run after deployment
Add a call to the DriverPacks Finisher in runonce or runonceex so it will run after deployment and clean up / remove all unused drivers

Have a great day!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Not all the drivers in the mass storage pack are sysprep compatible, some aren't even xp compatible.
There is also a memory limit with xp on how many drivers you can load. You can get around this limit by using the ntldr from higher os's, but i don't think this is legal.
Also, the detect non plug and play option is for ISA hardware. Microsoft hasn't recommended this setting for some time. It also adds a few minutes to the sysprep process. I haven't used it in a long time with no ill effects.

bigfoot wrote:

Not all the drivers in the mass storage pack are sysprep compatible, some aren't even xp compatible.

That is why Galapo uses the output of my BartPE Plugin for slipstreaming the mass drivers wink
In this way only the platform appropriate drivers are selected and used... instead of the entire pack.
the output of Kickarse tool is not meant to be used in its entirety... it is to be used to pick and choose from wink.

bigfoot wrote:

There is also a memory limit with xp on how many drivers you can load. You can get around this limit by using the ntldr from higher os's, but i don't think this is legal.

Please note bigfoot's point, SysPrep only allows for half the resources supported during normal setup... 2048 instead of 4096.
It is definately a copyrite violation to use ntldr from 2k3 server. Unless you dedicate a 2k3 license for this. (Like BartPE, license the disc /install)

Although some users ventured into what is/was arguably a grey area both useing the Longhorn ntldr when it was available as a free 180 day evaluation version and by useing the version included in service packs. (It has never taken 180 days to install XP to my knowlege) If you have site licensing then you could simply burn an extra license wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Exactly as Overflow said... you should filter out by vendor id or folder. Get an idea of what machines you may be imaging to and do only those drivers.

hi. someone post a video for mysysprep and findHWIDS.
according to his instruction in the video, he runs findHWIDS.
if i skip the findHWIDS step, does my sysprep image?????????????
I don't really need sata control driver support.
For now, i just want to make a regular sysprep for IDE controller and support intelppm and HAL auto-switching. that's all i want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18nUdrHiLTE

Last edited by roadorange (2010-12-22 16:45:59)