Topic: Cleanly updating a universal image

Hi, I'm using DriverPacks in conjuction with Sysprep to create universal Windows XP images. I have to update these images (new drivers, software updates, etc.) pretty regularly, so in order to keep the images as clean as possible, I always keep a non-sysprep'd image (and non-DriverPack'ed) aside as a base image from which to update and create my universal image. I fear that if I update directly the universal image, re-sysprep'ing and re-applying DriverPacks, at some point  in the future I'll have driver problems. However as the number of universal image is increasing, managing these "base" images is beginning to be inconvenient.

I'm wondering if there's an another trick out there to cleanly update a universal image. I know I can delete all driver files more recent than 8-13-2001 from %Windir/System32/Drivers before re-imaging, but that's bound to leave cruft the registry, no? Maybe there's a way to prevent Sysprep / DriverPacks from installing new/extra drivers when the universal image first boots? I'd like to hear how people update their universal images.

Re: Cleanly updating a universal image

To prevent SysPrep from installing new/extra drivers when the universal image first boots, you need to change a line in your sysprep.inf file.  The line, which is under the [Unattended] section, you want to change is:  UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
You want to change this line to:  UpdateInstalledDrivers=No

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

What method do you use to update your source with the DriverPacks?

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Toggling UpdateInstalledDrivers in sysprep.inf does seem to work. Upon imaging a PC that way, the Device Manager contains the usual unidentified devices. Thanks for this most useful tip!

OverFlow wrote:

What method do you use to update your source with the DriverPacks?

I use this method, but without makePNF.exe.

Last edited by jcharaoui (2009-09-26 08:02:37)