Topic: [SOLVED] Drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

Hi@all,

i've just tried to get an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 on a Acer Travelmate 290 Laptop working but it seems like the right drivers are missing. sad
I've included all Graphics Packs (A,B & C).

Greetings from Germany,

Karsten

Re: [SOLVED] Drivers for ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

I take it you were using the current Graphics Packs (6.08), right?

Maybe it's due to the fact support for radeons < 9500 got dropped after the CAT 6.5 drivers. I still couldn't try the pack on my Radeon 8500 system.

As a workaround, try this tool --> http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ and also post your HWIDs (the link found in Bâshrat the Sneaky's sig).

Yes, it used the latest Pack (6.08).

I got it now working by using the Catalyst Package 8.0 from ATI.
But this wasn't really my goal. wink

This is the HWID of the card:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5C61&SUBSYS_005A1025&REV_01\4&13B9B28C&0&0008: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200

Greets,

Karsten

On another Desktop Machine I have the same Problem with an Radeon 9200SE.
There can no drivers be found in the Packs...

The Card has the following hwid:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5964&SUBSYS_2073148C&REV_01\4&1FEB96E4&0&0008: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON 9200SE

Maybe this is a generell problem with 9200 cards?

Karsten

I confirm : Radeon 7500 / 9000 / 9200 support has been removed after Catalyst 6.5.

Radeon 9000 requires "ati2mtag_RV250" tag in inf file, and is non existant in Catalyst 6.6+ inf file.
Same with : Radeon 9200 (ati2mtag_RV280) Radeon 7500 (ati2mtag_RV200).

Since Catalyst 6.8, support for Radeon X800 (ati2mtag_R420) is back (it was removed in catalyst 6.6 & 6.7).

You can try with DHmod tool to make inf files ... but they are made for "Mobility Radeon".
Last solution is to use DP Graphics 6.5 (or make a custom driverpack).

looks like this will the next big DP-Problem (before it was nforce3/4 driver issue).

fu ati, this is not very sportive to kick support for old cards!

lieblingsbesuch wrote:

fu ati, this is not very sportive to kick support for old cards!

While I'd generally agree with the above statement, one has to consider they DID support them for quite some time now.
I've seen HW support being dropped much, much sooner and you cannot expect eternal support for a consumer product (it may look different if these were server cards), esp. in the fast-living 3D sector.

Even if they did update the driver, the question is whether you'd benefit from that at all.
While I still own a AIW Radeon 8500 DV, you can count the amount of modern games that card supports on a single hand, if any.
Which game does NOT require at least PS 2.0 if it's 3D?

And if you only play 2D games then there are hardly any issues with them.

It would still have been very nice of ATi if they just kept the INF entries in the driver packet even if they don't update them anymore as to keep it an all-Radeon unified driver.
Now, you always have to keep backups of the old ones (ok, they still have them on their site).
Lest not forget about the DP troubles for Bâshrat the Sneaky wink

Well, I will just add a modified .inf file and not add the driver itself. No WHQL signing then, of course. But at the benefit of the space saved.

Founder of DriverPacks.net — wimleers.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

Well, I will just add a modified .inf file and not add the driver itself. No WHQL signing then, of course. But at the benefit of the space saved.

Fair enough I'd say.

At least we know the driver has been WHQL-tested so whether it has actually been signed or not is rather secondary (to me, at least).
Or would a Windows Update possibly pefer an older but signed driver and install that over this version?
I know it does not automatically update the drivers but some folks might do it if they don't know the internals...

I think it is better add the driver ati catalyst 6.5 which i think is easier and safer than the modified inf file.

Major wrote:

I think it is better add the driver ati catalyst 6.5 which i think is easier and safer than the modified inf file.

Theoretically, yes, however, people are already complaining about file sizes and this would add another ~20MB or so I'm sure.

For old hardware : only drivers, no Control Pannel : drivers are 20 Mb uncompressed, and 5.7 Mb once 7-Zipped.
But, yes, that would add 5.7 Mb to DP Graphic A ... so an .inf file & no WHQL is maybe the solution.

personally i prefer add the driverspacks ati 6.5 with his control panel because i want to install the unattended windows to my friend who sometimes want to see the computer on TV, he can´t because the control panel isn´t installed.
then i suggest (if you can Bashrat) it is better that you put the two options.
*for people who want to save space, don´t install ati with control panel
*and other for people who don´t mind space, install ati with his control panel or catalyst center.
it is a only a suggest please.
Thanks.

The current Control Panel can be used, since it's no longer been updated anyway. The Catalyst Control Center will probably also be backwards compatible. That's not the issue wink It's just the driver.

I have a little question about ATI drivers. I have a radeon mobility 7500 chip in my laptop, I have slipstreamed Graphic pack A & B in my Winxp installation disc, the system found my graphic card and install the driver, they work in 2d mode, but there isn't any Direct3D support. If I install Omegadrivers all it works. Can you check this Bashrat? I'll post here my hwid of graphic card. Thanks smile

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_00B70E11&REV_00\4&2EEAE0A0&0&0008: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500

I know it worked back when I installed on my laptop (don't ask me which DP version that was, I think it was around March) with a Mobility X700.

In any case, you can use the official drivers on virtually any Mobility card using this tool:

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje

Helmi wrote:

I know it worked back when I installed on my laptop (don't ask me which DP version that was, I think it was around March) with a Mobility X700.

In any case, you can use the official drivers on virtually any Mobility card using this tool:

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje

I have tried with the application that you have told me, but the problem does persists. sad
Can someone told me how to enable direct3d for my card?

Hm, that is very strange.
I take it the driver installs properly (eg no error messages)?

How do you verify there is no D3D?
Did you run dxdiag tests?

Hi, i have 2 questions.
First in the directory of the Graphics A, I want to put the catalyst center panel 6.8 Spanish instead of the catalyst center 6.8 english. Then my question: do i have only to compress the CCC 6.8 spanish (like yo have told Bashart in your new tutorial) and overwrite the CCC 6.8 english?

Second: If i want to add driver catalyst 6.5 in the directory of the graphics drivers B (for example) in order to install also the CCC 6.5 spanish for the older graphical Cards, and after extracting the driverpack and compressing the files necessary files according to the directory structure, my question is:
Do i have only to add these lines (for example) in the DPsFnshr.ini in order to install CCC 6.5 Spanish.

[wnt5_x86-32__0003__D-G-OLD]
tagFiles    = 2
tagFile1    = "%SystemDrive%\ATICCC.ins"
tagFile2    = "%DPSROOT%\D\G\OLD\ATICCC.exe"
+hwids        = 0
-hwids        = 0
+infFiles    = 1
+infFile1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\G\OLD\*.inf"
-infFiles    = 0
commands    = 4
command1    = "%DPSROOT%\D\G\OLD\ATICCC.exe -y -o"%DPSTMP%"
command2    = "msiexec /i %DPSTMP%\ISScript9.Msi /qn /norestart"
command3    = "msiexec /i %DPSTMP%\ATICCC.msi /qn /norestart"
command4    = "rd /s /q "%DPSTMP%"

Thanks.

Helmi wrote:

Hm, that is very strange.
I take it the driver installs properly (eg no error messages)?

How do you verify there is no D3D?
Did you run dxdiag tests?

I have run dxdiag and a direct3d screensaver, the screensaver will show a fantastic: "there isn't any direct3d adapter avaible" or something like this. Anyway, i will try to integrate the modded ati driver directly on cd. Maybe it works. I tell you later smile

EDIT: No it doesn't work. I will integrate the Omegadrivers in winxp installation disc. sad maybe because the driver doesn't support my graphic card.

Last edited by S3pHiroTh (2006-08-26 22:14:56)

Added the 6.5 drivers to DriverPack Graphics B, which had been planned a long time ago, but got delayed for too many reasons... My apologies!

I've updated the modded .inf files accordingly and now the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 should be working again, together with all other pre-9500 Mobility GPUs.

EDIT:

@Major: correct on all areas! wink