Re: Are you frustrated waiting for the DP release?

i understand. So..WHQL is crap and maybe i should nlite the install media, so that drivers will be unsigned and then put the tweak, that unsigned drivers will be installed without prompt. Can i ask...where do you get all the needed hardware to test on? And the knowledge about HWID´s it is ment for...comes from manufacturer? Or is it the HWID Tool? I thought that gives you knowledge about the current machines HWID´s it is run.

I have the suspicion, that if a manufacturer makes a new driver, then it is especially ment to support the newest piece of hardware. If the older hardware fails, then you have to put the most recent driver into package, that supported the oldest hardware and make another folder for the newer equipment. How does windows setup program know, which driver it should install? Guess both of the drivers are ment for same HWID or not?

and now you are at the beginning of the road...

Yes we must keep the old driver to support older - and add new driver to support newer hardware.
The old and the new driver may overlap each other as far as what devices they support (hwids).
if the HWID exists in three or four different drivers the wrong driver may be chosen... and then we must force the correct driver to be choosen. This is known as a conflict, and we solve them daily. A driver that works all by itself just fine will very likely fail if grouped with similar drivers that contain overlapping HWID support. IE you have a Nvidia 8600 GT driver and a GigaByte 8600GT driver both in the packs they may share some of the same supported hwids. but the Gigabyte driver may fail if selected by a non Gigabyte Graphics adapter. in which case we get a failure report and must act and test. and repeat... and repeat again... and again

You can't just dump a bunch of drivers in a folder and expect it to just work...

If you could do that we would not bother to be here wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

yeah...now i finally begin to have a clue, what is this hard work all about. I am indeed at the beginning of the road - exactly the right words. I thought, why several driver searching programs choose you the wrong driver. They search by HWID´s generally (i think), but if there a more than 1 driver in the database with the same HWID support, then its exactly as you said. IE i got a touchscreen mouse driver for my laptop, but i had a simple Logitech USB mouse. The result - mouse didnt work. How could it..theres no point touching LCD and hope it moves the mouse. LOL. Em..could there be a chance, that the driver program thought my touchpad is a mouse? It was a Iobit Advanced Systemcare component.

Thank you, Overflow! That answer helped me a lot. Is there a sticky or tutorial about the basics of the driverpacks development or the conflict situations? Maybe it is worth to create such, if it doesnt exist, so everyone with some common sense can understand or even get some clue, what smart guys are talking about. smile I dont mean the driverpacks base tutorial, but...something more general about making the packs. I think, i dont know the right keywords to search google and there may be no good information about it.

Edit...found sticky for 3rd party packs

Last edited by kaitsevaim (2009-07-30 00:52:10)

He used "search"....

Thud (sound of me falling out of my chair)

Well done

There is some really good info for getting started at MSFN.org... That is where DriverPacks got its start wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

The majority of users here utilize DriverPacks to create UWXP CDs, and a fringe amount for other OSes. Just speaking freely here; I personally would rather have constantly updated driver packs with the older version of base than the situation as it is now.

Jhonsons wrote:

The majority of users here utilize DriverPacks to create UWXP CDs, and a fringe amount for other OSes.

While that may be true now, XP has had it's heyday and it's use is dwindling.  Win7 is rapidly becoming the OS of choice.
Geez.  Thanks...I guess.  Sounds pretty ungrateful for the progress that's been made so far by so few.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

yes, a help DP applications is great.

:-)

SPAM removed!

they say that patience is a virtue...

so better wait for the release...

thanks!

SPAM link removed by moderator