Re: DP Base [all versions] and the XP 'Repair' Option

Hm... Thats a good idea! Great that I could help spark some inspiration =P
If it does, the system would probably need to support USB boot devices. But which most older system don't.

so what is the subset, machines with no floppy and no boot to usb support, as a percentage of total systems wink

or how many machines are new and at the same time are not new enough? lol

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

lol

I call upon the Tootsie Pop theory:
"The world may never know"

tongue

Jaak wrote:

hi
look up presetup.cmd in a DriverPacks BASE 7502 streamed source.

add this line at the top of the file

DEL /F %systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe

I've attempted this before, and I always get an "Access Denied" error. I still keep that line in my Presetup.cmd file, but I'm fairly certain it's useless.

To test it, use the following command in Presetup.cmd instead:

Start cmd /k "If Exist ""%systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe"" Del /F ""%systemroot%\system32\setupold.exe"""

This should cause a console window to pop up and sit there allowing you to manually enter commands. For me, the first line always says that it could not delete the file because access is denied.

HI smile

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Are this lines required for same driver that are included in the DriverPack ? If i remove this line do i get some problems afterwords with same drivers ?

Last edited by Outbreaker (2008-07-26 06:44:28)

Outbreaker wrote:

Are this lines required for same driver that are included in the DriverPack ? If i remove this line do i get some problems afterwords with same drivers ?

Yes, they are required ONLY if you don't want to see the alert dialog during Windows setup about unsigned drivers.  See, not all of the drivers included in the DriverPacks are digitally signed.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I joined the forum specifically to thank OverFlow for the responses and explanations provided.  The nLite forum was no help because nuhi's only feedback just to use his program.  I replace 3-4 bad hard drives a week.  DriverPacks is by far the easiest method for incorporating drivers for almost everything I'm likely to come across.

I don't want to use my unattended settings and I know it'd just be easier to have unattended disc and repair disc since I format hard drives a lot more than I attempt repair.  A lot of systems just don't run like they should after repair. I use only when a customer refuses to have their drive formatted (usually because they consider it drastic) and it always bothers me how sluggish the machine is afterward. 

If a program is adding or changing unattended settings it isn't that hard to figure out whats doing it and therefore what order tools should be used it.  I used nLite, WMP11 slipstreamer, RVM, DriverPacks, and then manually adjust certain txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif lines. 

Time is money and helpful forum admins have saved me more than I could soon repay.

Last edited by brocruit (2008-10-26 10:16:23)

Wow...

you're welcome!

have a geat day and i hope we see you around!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

The only "fix" to this I know of is to make a dual boot CD, one with drivers and at least WINNT.SIF with the 3 lines in it and one with no WINNT.SIF at all. Then you can use that disc and have the best of both worlds. However that is a lengthy process learning how to do it if you're not familiar with it. Nevermind, all these people installing Windows on many many machines are in the business of making money, I learned how to do a multi-boot disc just for the h*ll of it so I am sure peeps can learn how to do this.

honestly, I have spent enough time pondering over this to know - just make a multi-boot disc, you'll spend less time learning how to do that (and making and testing it all) than you would Googling for a solution that does not exist.

Can I just ask this: lets say we remove that [Unattended] section entirely - what is the worst that can happen, some driver(s) might say "This driver has not passed WHQL testing" or "This driver has not passed microsoft logo testing" or whatever it says - is this ALL that can happen?

If so, then its not unattended anyway is it so who cares if it says that, you'd just click next, yes, ok etc.

Last edited by LeveL (2008-11-11 21:20:57)

good points Level

you forgot to mention that a winnt.sif on a floppy takes precedece over the one on the CD/DVD.

so the simple way to have both is to have a winnt.sif or txtsetup.sif on a floppy that does not contain the [Unattended] section.

put the floppy in for attended
don't use it for full unattended

this is belived to also work for usb flash drive but this is unconfirmed...

Floppy?  What's a floppy? wink

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

yeah... i hear ya...

but it is an option...  wink

one of these days someone will confirm or deny that the usb method works too, or not... or sometimes...

So if I remove these lines here:
""
[Unattended]
""
I can use my current disk and keep the 'prompt-repair' option working still?

I use driver packs for just base F6 AHCI/RAID drivers and network drivers only on rebuilt dell/oem disks

twig123 wrote:
OverFlow wrote:

the floppy method definately works  - if you can find a machine these days witha a floppy in it wink

LOL, yeah I only have 1 system with a floppy... but that is my laptop and can't have the CD and Floppy in a the same time.

...What about a "fake" text-mode? that would allow us to choose a sif (just pullin things outta my head now)?

Yeah, thats right. Who uses a floppy nowadays any more. I havent seen any laptop with a floppy drive in it all my life. PC´s have it also less and less. Now there are USB sticks, smart card readers, etc. Maybe it is possible to do the boot manager thing on CD/DVD, but i cant tell of course, is it possible or not....

Yes you can use a multiboot disc and DriverPacks BASE does support a mutliboot disc... wink

since CD's are twenty cents a piece I will just make a CD intended only for repairs...
I have not repaired a Windows OS in years - the result is just a disaster.

If you think you must do a repair you're mistaken... a reload is definately in order if the OS is wasted that badly.

But there is always an exception to any rule smile wink

HELLO?

temporalwar wrote:

""
[Unattended]
""

I use driver packs for just base F6 AHCI/RAID drivers and network drivers only on rebuilt dell/oem disks

temporalwar wrote:

HELLO?

temporalwar wrote:

""
[Unattended]
""

To be clear... As if there were any grey area left after somone had read the above thread...

The ENTIRE [unattended] section must be removed roll

This is stated in at least three posts above hmm.
It doesn't matter how many lines that there are there... They must ALL be removed including the [UnAttended] line itself.

Optionaly you can just delete the entire WinNT.sif file
If you are not doing an unattended Install (like when doing a repair) then you don't need an unattended response file do you smile

If you like I can see if we can get that translated into your language. tongue wink

OverFlow wrote:

I have not repaired a Windows OS in years - the result is just a disaster.
If you think you must do a repair you're mistaken... a reload is definately in order if the OS is wasted that badly.

But there is always an exception to any rule smile wink

OK, but tell me...what if there are important settings made, that i dont remember any more to correct or software keys or some kind of software, that i cant loose, since i have lost the install cd for it? Maybe it wont let me to use the install key again since it has already been used and install server wont accept it, etc etc. I think if the problem is only about corrupted system files or missing registry entries, then repair install is just fine. I havent found a single way or any program, that lets me repair windows components or identify corrupted or missing files, missing important registry keys. Reg cleaners only remove registry entries and some kind of "repair" and tweaking programs, IE WinXP Manager´s repair all windows components does not do what it is ment to do. No program identifies for you any missing file, that i might extract from install cd to correct the problem a.s.o. So repair has its advantages...i think.

I Always image a machine before i begin work...
Ghost, disc image (forensic mode)...
(always verify image and open with GhostExplorer before formating target)
Then I  Always  virus scan - off line from BartPE...

Any settings files or registry entries may be retrieved at any time from a good backup (Ghost image) wink

Look at the size of the registry after a repair :0

OK, i understand. But how do you load a specific program from the ghost image, i wonder? I never knew about the registry size, so thats a good point. So...no registry cleaner is able to delete the obsolete entries? I asked about the program, that is able to identify missing or corrupt installation files and you didnt answer me... Guess you dont know such program also. Oh never mind...i´ll try it your way then... smile

But how do you load a specific program from the ghost image?

I don't... I reinstall them wink

yeah, i know! you missed something in my first post in this topic. What if i dont have the installer any more or lost the key?

Then you don't have a valid license... I don't EVER install software without proof of a valid license... wink

If you lost it sorry about your luck... Not my Problem. Next time you will know the value of taking care of it.

When i worked in a PC shop this was our policy.
If you cant provide the original install disc with Key or at least Proof of purchase - end of discussion.

You could extract the files and reg entries from the image with no problem. But, I won't do this if they can't produce the install disc / Key... They call that piracy.

yeah, i know, what you mean. And thats not piracy if you have installed software with legit key, IMHO.

I agree... But if they can not produce the disc or the Key or the purchase recipt then they don't have  a legit copy do they?

bundled software from the OEM comes to mind as an example of your point wink
In which case it is possable to extract from a ghost image wink