Topic: Optiplex 755 and newer models reboot on agpcpq.sys

Hi,

I am one of a couple of techs who look after close to 3000 computers.  We are mostly a Dell shop and right now we have individual images for all the Dell Models we have on campus.  The idea of a "Universal Image" is quite appeling.  I have taken this project under my wing and have been doing a lot of research and tweaking to get to one image to rule them all....  I have run into an issue with the Dell Optiplex 755's and higher models.  I can duplicate this on the 755 and 760.  Below are the details of how I created the image and the problem

- Created the master image on a Dell Optiplex Gx 150 P3 Processor
- Windows XP SP3 shows in device manager "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
- I followed the guide posted here on using sysprep and driver packs ([HOWTO] Using DriverPacks w/ Sysprep (Updated for Base 7.04 and Later))
- Using Sysprep
- Also using MySysprep to properly detect the processor
- With MySysprep.inf, I am using the [CPU] section to detect the processor and load the correct HAL

This all seems to work fine with anything below the 755 line.  I have tested it on the Gx 150, Gx 270, Gx 280, and the Gx520.  It detects single processors and hyper threading processors fine and shows the correct number of processor(s) in task manager.

My problem is that when the machine is imaged and reboots, it constantly reboots at agpcpq.sys.  If I disable the service by booting off a Windows cd  and going to the repair console, it just hangs on the next one it tried to load on the next reboot which is agp440.sys and so on.

I am not totally sure if it is a processor detection issue or is there some other issue I am not seeing.  Any help or insight would be most helpful.  Thanks.

Re: Optiplex 755 and newer models reboot on agpcpq.sys

Use Offlinesysprep instead of mysysprep and use the AutoConfigure at boot.
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19397
In addition ditch the real hardware and virtualize the image. I am currently using virtualbox as it is free and suites my needs nicely.
I have one image that supports our range of hardware sx280-760's

*EDIT*
I would love to speak with you more as we are in the same boat accept i am the only brain behind our setup and i am about fried on the subject. We could bounce ideas/scripts/problems/solutions off of one another.

Last edited by JustusIV (2009-07-09 06:04:53)

I am in the same boat as smahar. I chose to make a universal image for our campus (used the driverpacks guide here) along with mysysprep) and it worked as long as it didn't have to actually switch hals. On my first attempt I realized that I didn't copy the kernel or alternate hal to the system drive, though, so I just put up another quick-fix attempt and it still doesn't update the HAL at all. If anyone has it working can they post up which kernel should be put where and the hal that should be relocated, etc...

...If I can get mine to work I'll make a guide that covers the MySysprep step because it's a bitch+1 to go sifting through the forums to find what I'm looking for.

Hey Justus,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  Sorry it took me time to get back to this.  With my job, sometimes I am away from my desk for short periods of time.  I tired the offline suggestion but I could not get that to work the way I wanted it either.  It seemed to me to be a bit more complicated.  I will be honest as well, I am not a programmer in any way and I don't know much about programming scripts.

I created a second image based on the 755 and that seems to be fine.  One image would be ideal but for now, I can live with two, with the goal of getting to one.  I do have an issue with the ATI control panel not installing, but I will post that in the appropriate forum.  Again thank you.

ATI control panel requires .NET to be installed first (before the driver / control panel) wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.