Topic: simpleton's guide to universal imaging

Hi everyone.

1 this site is pretty amazing - i apologise for not being able to help myself with these simple conceptual problems.

What i am doing at the moment is attempting to create universal image for a range of HP computer models.

I do this by:

1 - installing the base XP on a physical machine (including partition as required)
2 - install all updates (sp3+)
3 - install all software & configure supplimentals (default user etc)
4 - running with the guide by skinLayers (http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=1682)
5 - create ghost image and deploy

I know that this is a good method, it has saved me alot of images. I thank you all for this, but i know there is a better way aswell.

1 - installing on vm seems to be a "better" method. Why i am not sure but it seems to be the way to go. I simply dont know how this would be done? I understand and have some experience with vm's (xen) but i get lost regarding drivers, pseudo drivers, fileSystem etc.
2 - driverpacks has helped me alot but after my sysprep of a destination computer i still get "unsigned driver" messages (over 100 in some cases) - i have ensure the the "ignore driver warning" is enabled in the finisher ini but it remains -- is this just a mistake on my half?

3 - i have read on the sysprep driver finder program -- if i understand correctly i could downbload and expand all the driverpacks in c:\D\ - run the driver finder then sysprep/image my master image. Would this work or am i missing a component here?

I know my questions arent so clear so i apologize. Thanks for any help.

Re: simpleton's guide to universal imaging

Please take amoment to read the stickied posts in this forum (finish reading the skinlayers thread for example).

Why you have driversigning popups is covered dozens of times... (don't use make PNF or KTD)

I am sure you have not read my many posts in this forum (Universal Imaging) or you would not be adding sp3 after the install sad... (Grrr)

did you read the posting guidelines? or read before you post? Seemingly no... if you did then you have failed to understand them.

Welcome to DriverPacks, We are glad you're here and look forward to helping you.

We will not however hold your hand just to help you to find info that is posted in stickied threads and quite easily found useing the search feature.

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

that is why i am looking for some conceptual advice here. I know that you are not a sysprep/imaging fan in general and would rather create a slipstreamed install disc. I have not seen anything describing the popups and KTD correlation - i did however read just before i posted that you describe KTD as a purely tech-lab based function and this should not be enabled for end-user destination computers.

I am sorry if this is covered somewhere else. Ill be quite now.

well at least you're kind and intelligent and have at least skimmed the forum... as evidenced by your response...

here is a starter link http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 693#p29693

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

What I have done is written this in AutoIt and compiled it, and call it at GUIRunOnce via SysPrep, and I have SysPrep NOT scan for non-PNP hardware so it doesn't try any funny stuff, and not integrated any drivers to the master install.  This will suppress the New Hardware Wizards, then runs OverFlow's awesome SAD by HWID available at http://driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpack … taller.exe.  For me, this has worked the best, but your mileage may vary......

$start = TimerInit()

Do

SplashTextOn("auto driver loader","suppressing Found New Hardware Wizards",-1,50)

Sleep(2000)

If WinExists("Found New Hardware Wizard") Then 
		WinActivate("Found New Hardware Wizard")
		Send("{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}")
	EndIf

If WinExists("Hardware Update Wizard") Then 
		WinActivate("Hardware Update Wizard")
		Send("{ENTER}")
	EndIf

If WinExists("System Settings Change") Then 
		WinActivate("System Settings Change")
		Send("{TAB}{ENTER}")
		ExitLoop
	EndIf

Until TimerDiff($start)>30000

SplashTextOn("auto driver loader","installing drivers, your screen may flicker",-1,50)
Run("c:\d\hwidinstaller.exe")
WinWait("DriverPacks")
WinWait("DriverPacks SAD by HWID")
WinActivate("DriverPacks SAD by HWID")
Send("{ENTER}")

SplashOff()
Exit

Don't forget to look at Galapo's great app OfflineSysPrep or MySysPrep, both are better than the MS SysPrep if you want some more customization.  Since I (usually) don't even integrate Mass Storage drivers anymore, I use OSP from BartPE to inject detected MS drivers after dumping the image.  May be more time-consuming, but it gets around having to endlessly prune the MS section down far enough to be thorough, yet not bonk NTLDR on the first boot...

BTW, sorry I've been absent from the forum for soooo long, I haven't had time to work on my own universal images in ages as my attention has been coding some pretty involved apps for work.  I want to thank the people of this forum for their hard work, and want to thank the forum for getting me started with AutoIt, since picking it up earlier this year I have done some awesome things with it!!  Hopefully my skills have improved a LOT, so if there is anything I can do to contribute some code to the project just let me know.

Ian

PS - OH, I like the new code tag, it doesn't wreck the spacing used in the code!!  Spanky!  smile

Last edited by llewxam (2009-07-09 12:39:20)

re: New code tags... Wow your right i did not even notice... Off the hook, I am telling you what~

Glad your back... We have been flooded with sysprep questions and I can only handle the basic questions, with out you Psyco SysPrep gurus to bat cleanup the support is just not up to normal DriverPacks standards wink

What is hwidinstaller.exe?
Is that the same thing as DP_Install_Tool.cmd?

@llewxam: I do nearly the same thing, struggled with it for a day or two, but have it working now, Use sysprep to insert a batch file into GuiRunOnce. From the batch file i first call an autoit program i found and edited for my needs, very similar to the one you posted that cleans up the found new hardware (i just hit esc on the prompt). then i do two runs of DP_Install_Tool.cmd as 1 run does not get the graphics completely. From there i automatically rename the machine to the serial tag, reboot and automatically join the domain. OSP handles all HAL and mass storage issues for me. Driver packs do the drivers. Batch files handle what i need domain wise.
Thanks goes out to everyone for your help!
JustusIV

JustusIV wrote:

What is hwidinstaller.exe?
Is that the same thing as DP_Install_Tool.cmd?

It is and it is not...

One of our Users started on an idea... what if we only extract the drivers we need instead of all of them? Would it be faster? Better? He started coding... and did well, eventually convincing me that it was worth while. I then challenged them to a race LOL. I took the ball and ran with it... In the process I accidentally fixed a bug in one of the HWID's tools that we use to update the packs wink. Now that it is working in beta form I see that it will have other uses other than it's original intent. IE We have had requests for Per Machine packs. This is not feasable for us... However a user could use this tool to generate thier own per machine pack... which is a cool side effect.

The result is much like SAD M2,
except it only extracts drivers that match the HWIDs of the target machine... 
(warmsnows app will also do this...)

Did i mention this tool is BETA or what we call a 'nightly'...
the finisher is not called from the script
this allows you to see what was extracted / got matched with the machine
the finisher can be run manually

I hope that helps

Gotcha. Although since i just got my setup working nicely i will probably steer clear for a while.

On a side note if you guys ever need help testing something i would be more then happy to help just let me know.