Topic: Question about making xp sp3 compatible with most sata drives

Hello, I' m sure that my question has got a very simple reply, hower I didn' t succed in finding it!
Excuse me but I' m a beginner!!!
My purpose is to create a XP professional Sp3 wich is compatible with a lot of sata harddisks, in order to avoid to integrate the proper driver with nlite for each computer as it' s becoming so boring!
I would like to know if I have to employ only mass storage and base driver pack or if I also need chipset driver pack.
Please, notice that I start with a Sp2 Xp and with nlite I' ve add sp3, hotfixes and some tweaks. I have erased almost all windows drivers as they' re obsolete. Can you tell me how to properly use this driver integration method without conflicting with nlite?
Are there some troubles with sp3?

Re: Question about making xp sp3 compatible with most sata drives

if you follow the guide in my signature all will be revealed big_smile

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

alto -

Overflow is a very busy man, and he has instructed you correctly. READ and Ye Shall Learn.

The reason for my response is to say two things:

1. The BASE and Mass Storage Packs (including TEXT MODE) are sufficient to do what you've mentioned.

2. DO NOT REMOVE OLD WINDOWS DRIVERS with nLite. DriverPacks are meant to augment, not replace, these old drivers, and there is little benefit in doing so. My years of nLiting suggest that the fewer things you Remove from your install media, the better you'll be able to support a wider variety of hardware. It's OK to turn OFF an option like a service, but do yourself a BIG favor and DON'T REMOVE STUFF.

If you're making an nLite disk for a particular system, by all means hack away if that works for you. But for broader utility, be very sparing in your removals and stuff should just work better.

Good luck in your endeavors, and thanks for asking. Gives the oldtimers a chance to prove some worth. <grin>

MARK STRELECKI

alto -

One more thing:

You might slipstream SP3 into XP and then save that so you don't need to do it each time you run nLite. I've used nLite to do nothing else than slipstream service packs. You CAN do one thing at a time with it, too. <grin>

Do your nLite thing all the way up to making the ISO, quit, and do your DriverPacks thing, then return to nLite to make your ISO. That's how it works for me.

There is a lot more detailed directions out there if you will look for them (hint - GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND "nLite and DriverPacks").

You can do this. It's not hard.

Keep us advised as to your progress.

Best wishes from sunny and warm Atlanta.

MARK STRELECKI