Topic: HP Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU goes to XP

hi all,

got myself this new notebook, HP Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU.  obviously i saved myself from all the grief from winMEii so i started out to install xp on it and obviously it gives me a BSOD. i didn't get one that shipped with the winMEii installed so i haven't got the HWID here. but am pleasantly assured you guys here have me covered with the drivers. am posting to document at the least the validation it works for this notebook.

currently updating the drivers and slipstream sp3 after.
will repost with updates and or issues encountered.

you guys are smart. ^_^ thanks for giving us the option of sticking with a reasonable OS. ^_^

Re: HP Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU goes to XP

Um... you are going to have problems

adding DriverPacks HAS to be the last step. If you added drivers then added sp3 you now have garbage... sorry

please read the tutorial (in my signature)

Welcome to DriverPacks and thanks for the kind words!

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Here's how I setup a new box:

Create customized install media. For XP I use nLite and slipstream SP3 and Ryan Vandermulen's RVM Update Pack for SP3 1.02.

I then add ONLY the Driver Packs Mass Storage drivers, text mode and GUI (two check boxes in DPs_BASE), and create a Stand Alone Drivers (SAD) disk with ALL the Driver Packs including some of the wonderful 3rd Party packs.

I create CDs of XP with SP3 and RVM updates and DP Mass Storage, Stand Alone Driver CD, and a third disk with most important apps.

The XP install CD will (thanks to Driver Packs!) boot and support these latest laptops that use SATA drive controllers in the new AHCI mode.

After XP is complete, I insert the SAD CD and install all the drivers my system could ever need.

Lastly, the APPS CD makes the system completely ready to run, all updated and slick as...., well, you know how cool that is.

Overflow Jeff is right - there is a proper sequence you must use to make this magic work properly.

Do some research, study it a bit, then begin testing until you get it the way you want.

You can do this - and it'll be a great lesson that you'll use over and over again each time there's a new PC to setup.

Best wishes from cold Atlanta, GA.

MARK STRELECKI
DriverPacks True Believer
IT Warrior Emeritus.

thanks for the heads up Overflow. ^_^ found that out the hard way but it's cool, one learns from mistakes. and yes i have read the tutorial you posted. just got lost somewhere there. ^_^ just curious i DLed the packages on my pc and used the base tool, how come it didn't detect the packages? it had to DL again when it reached the update part of the tool.

markstrelecki, that's a neat idea and thanks for confirming it's the storage drivers that's crashing it. nice to know i'm on the right track.

so the patter is xp + sp3 + drivers. got it.

will post after my next test. ^_^

I am going to guess you extracted them... and you were not supposed to
or you did not put them in the DriverPacks folder in the same location as DriverPacks BASE

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

it was on the same folder for the Base. and no, for the record i did not extract them.
that's what your tutorial said. ^_^
that's why it was odd how it didn't detect the packages. figured the Base was supposed to do the extraction for me hence the gui.

yeah you missed the target they go into the subfolder named DriverPacks wink

yes base extracts them if needed...

ah, thanks.
i'll work on that after i test this image i got cooking. ^_^

it's ALIVE!

I have just purchased a new laptop of this model. I need to do exactly just this, install XP instead of Vista. Can someone state exactly the step by step. I have read the replies above but cannot seem to understand everything.

Hi, I also tried this and  after a few tries, it installed without problems. All files were intact. XP then goes on to setup the OS, then my problem enters. After XP runs it's setup, it restarts, shows the XP loading screen, then suddenly a blue screen flickers and it restarts all by itself. I tried restarting a few times but I can never boot into windows. The BSOD just flickers, It doesn't hang up. I don't even have enough time to read what's wrong with it. Any input?

Just before this happened, I tried installing a "Failed version" of the slipstreamed OS, and somehow got part of it to work. It does start up normally although I can't get some of the applications to run that is why I reinstalled it.

My XP is SP2 by the way, does this matter?

Please read "Read BEFORE you post" in my signature below, and the BASE tutorial.

Then submit a properly detailed post. TIA

PS downloading the packs is now an option in the BASE program itself eliminating the need to do this manually wink

Good day!

I have the same problem above. Luckily, I managed to install WinXP SP2 without any hassles. My problem is that, after installing DP Base, it found the exact Video Drivers & WiFi Drivers only. Other devices (i.e. sound, lan, touchpad, etc) weren't still working.

Could you help me with the drivers, or am I doing something wrong? I'm still a newbie here, but am very thankful for all your help. My laptop is the same as above, only it feels like its only 'half-alive'.

Many thanks in advance.

--wolfe

PLEASE READ... Aparently my last post went UNREAD...

the one that SAYS   -= Read BEFORE you post =-

In my signature below is A LINK to READ BEFORE YOU POST.

FAILING to read "Read BEFORE you post" and then providing the info in Read BEFORE you post will result in your post being ignored!

Kinda the same way you ignored reading my post, we will then ignore yours.

link to Read BEFORE  you post is in my signature below this line...
(i am half tempted to delete this entire thread... third person in a row who can't read)

Ummm guys... m new hear and m really a newbie working with laptops...
I just got myself a HP Compaq Presario CQ40-310AU too and m feeling
how slow the Vista is... can anyone help me how to downgrade my laptop
to XP... A step by step tutorial would be really helpfull coz m such a noob...
with all the links to all the softwares needed and all the drivers for XP...
thanks soooooo much....

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

installing XP for noobs!