Re: FindHWIDS v3.2s - The INF Searching, Hardware ID Exporter

v3.2b is out and on the main page! Scanning just Graphics pulled only 4,530 HWIDS with v3.2 and v3.2b pulled 5,811 HWIDS! A difference of 1,281 HWIDS that weren't there previously!

Last edited by stamandster (2009-02-26 11:43:21)

testing...

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I guess I'm wrong about just version in some cases!

Quoted from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/d … WinUp.mspx

"Detection - DriverVer.
All drivers must have the DriverVer directive present in the INF. Only the date portion is required for Windows Update detection matching.
The INF file [Install] sections must key off the most specific Plug and Play IDs only. Plug and Play IDs must be specific as per WHQL INF file requirements for PCI devices. Information about the INF Requirements for PCI Devices is available at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/PCI/infreq.mspx."

More INF Resources:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2inf.mspx
http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/install/c … f_4l47.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/pci/infreq.mspx

Is anyone familiar with Regular Expression??

Last edited by stamandster (2009-02-27 01:22:49)

Two scans. All nightly graphics DriverPacks in work.
v3.2 pulled 4224 HWIDs
v3.2b pulled 5733HWIDs

It's a good start. smile
I'll have to check to see if we missed any.

*Edit
OK, first bug.
v3.2b is pulling HWIDs that are commented out with ';' so I'm showing duplicate HWIDs with blank PNPID Desc

Working on a fix, thanks!

You can respond to all updates to FindHWIDS here. That way we don't have to copy and past our comments in both.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-02-27 06:08:28)

v3.2d @ 2009-02-26 -
-- Fixed issue with timers displaying properly.
-- Speeds up exporting via Excel by hiding Excel
-- Adds ClassGUID to outputs Excel and CSV
-- Change GUI background to white
-- Scanning process no longer minimizes main window and adds Tooltip processing. Processing staying in main window and updates Statusbar area.
-- Fixes issue with _INIReadSectionEx to skip commented out lines (or should, I did test wink )
-- Fixes issue with adding any HWID filters. You must use the Pipe symbol on all filter seperations. Updated the help functions to coincide with changes.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-02-27 06:46:33)

Awesome!  Testing...
3.2b did pull out about 10 additional duplicate HWIDs I had missed before. smile  That's a very good thing.
I'm also updating newly released FireMV and other new business-class drivers.  So DriverPack Graphics B will see a major update soon. 

Your tool makes it all happen!  Thank you!

arghh,
I hope that's true.. date being part of version weighing.
BUT, I doubt it is true.
I remember there were several drivers (ermm.. soundmaxx came to mind), that had newer date for older versions.

The good part about those is that, when I worked through the lot I wound up with about ten very questionable HWIDs across several drivers, and still later on, a driver was found which left me with only ONE questionable, so I quite literally dumped that single HWID and the other were supported by a better so got dumped as well.
Old changelogs tell you when folders got dumped.

In those days, we had poor scanner tool.
I am very pleased that people still want to improve the tools we can use, and my comments about the date 'thing' are to be taken at face value.
(well, you would not have those drivers to scan, because they are no longer there.. somebody with old DriverPacks from 2005, 2006, 2007, could provide a scannable driver repertoire for scanner-testing.)

(edit; proof of concept, newer date/old version. Consider this, realtek will add a single HWID to ONE INF, and internally updates ALL systemfile to datematch, ALL 100 or so INF to same date (while the majority have no machine code rewritten.. They were altered to match. Some Driver vendors did NOT alter systemfile version to match INF date. They tagged an edit date, or they tagged a minor version change in INF only, and the machine code was unadjusted, the sysfile not-edited to match INF. Those are hard calls. One can use araxis and -in extremis- hexcompare for proof of concept). At DriverPacks we do not use The Driver developement Kit, but

Last edited by Jaak (2009-02-27 13:43:39)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Jeff answerd to this, but he put you on the wrong leg.

What do you mean by root folder tally?
Let's do a live test.
I scan OLD DriverPacks (2007) LAN, with the tool I used  (part of utilityscan05.exe / SED too )
I do a tally for root (zero HWID in scan gets filtered out)
I do a tally by DIR pipe.. and find out scan tool has blind spots.
(I double checked by other means, scanner skipped INF, I had more folder in DriverPacks than I got in excel.)

This was what makes your effort needed.
we need a standard, and no blind spots.

I also said;
Q; why are we not standardised.
A; because we have no standard

When I reread this entire topic, I know I sometimes allude to things mentioned in other topics.
(e.g. FAQ "can you edit DriverPack MassStorage" )

I will have a new testplank (that's good)
Right now, I can perhaps spare 18 hours/month for DriverPacks. (That's bad)

Kickarse?
I know you did not do it for the prize I once offered, but the comments our peers make indicate you are eligble to it.
(I am still honour bound to it, and think I still have an English version to ship.)

this BB is daft, no merge post. (I also still hate that edits can be done in a post of five weeks/days/years ago)

Last edited by Jaak (2009-02-27 14:25:59)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Thanks for the insight Jaak! I didn't even know there was a "prize" lol.

The only other thing my tool is lacking from the core scan is the ability for the section scanner to pick up the hwids list with backslashes which tell the windows driver installation to go to the next line for another(more) hwid(s).

But we, at Driverpacks, seem to fix these so that they are on separate lines anyways. So I'm unsure as to how important of a fix that is.

What we need is more testing of the tool to make sure there are no blind spots. I can do only so much in my testing. I need people are who are more familiar with the daily grind of what the drivers should be, what's left out and what shouldn't be there.

I'm just happy my tool has speed up development for some of the developers, like Mr_SmartePants with sound and graphics. And the code has helped Jeff with his coding.

This is my testing process...

I use Windows Search to find every INF file in a specific driver folder (I don't include any INF files that are packed within ZIP files in the driver folders), noting the INF file total. I then proceed to manually copy from every INF in the said folder the set of HWIDS that are good into a spreadsheet.

Then I use my tool and set it to the same folder and scan. I then proceed to match my manual list to my automated list to make sure that I have the exact same end result.

Man getting to this point has been an adventure!

Also, another point on weight of INF drivers. We need to take into consideration the OS architecture specific drivers. Some may be generic from 9x and up and some are specific for XP and up. So there's also that.

my tool does this already big_smile

it discriminates between the differnt OS sections of the INFs and only applies the ones in the correct sections wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

v3.2e will be out Monday, hopefully. If anyone has experience with Regular Expression (not my strong suit) please let me know.

v3.2e out!
-- Fixes tip help from "comma" to "Pipe symbol"
-- Fixes some internals issues with deleting old export hardware profile
-- Changed visuals to all display internally on main window, exporting hardware profile will not show tooltip
-- More visual changes - clear button for locations, filters
-- Fixes main window on top issue when browsing for folder/file locations

I just ran your latest version (3.2e), couple things.  First, when I specified which folder contained the INFs it kept the default C:\D int he search.  Not a big deal since I saw it was piped, but maybe give an option to search additional folders after the user specifies which folder they want to scan, the app hung when I ran it the first time because I didn't catch the C:\D in there, and since that folder didn't exist it chocked.  Maybe I was just not patient enough to wait for it to move on, I get like that!!  big_smile

Another nice thing would be to be able to specify where the CSV file (or Excel if that's your thing) is saved, when it started running I didn't know where it would go.  I found it in the root of where the tool was run, but would prefer to specify it goes in the root of where it is scanning.

After it scanned for a bit I got a message box "AutoIt Error" "Line -1:   Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded."

The folder I had it scanning was C:\DP\D (so no silly path Jeff  hahaha) which contained all main and 3rd party packs.  I ran the tool again only on the chipset pack and it finished fine.

Hopefully the bug report helps.

Ian

llewxam wrote:

I just ran your latest version (3.2e), couple things.  First, when I specified which folder contained the INFs it kept the default C:\D int he search.  Not a big deal since I saw it was piped, but maybe give an option to search additional folders after the user specifies which folder they want to scan, the app hung when I ran it the first time because I didn't catch the C:\D in there, and since that folder didn't exist it chocked.  Maybe I was just not patient enough to wait for it to move on, I get like that!!  big_smile

It's always done that. If you select the text and then drop in your locations it will write over whats there. But it's designed to add to the list you currently have in the input box. This way you can add different locations to scan, not having to rewrite the locations.

The application doesn't care if the folder is there or not. It won't hang if it can't find the location it'll just proceed to the next location(s). I think you weren't patient enough.

llewxam wrote:

Another nice thing would be to be able to specify where the CSV file (or Excel if that's your thing) is saved, when it started running I didn't know where it would go.  I found it in the root of where the tool was run, but would prefer to specify it goes in the root of where it is scanning.

For now I'll add a mention of it in the read me and the help tool tip and more information dialogs. Eventually, as shown in the "to do" list it's a future hopeful feature "set with ini". I don't know if I'll add a graphical option for location. I might.  I figured most people would know to look at the same folder as the program for exporting.

llewxam wrote:

After it scanned for a bit I got a message box "AutoIt Error" "Line -1:   Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded."

The folder I had it scanning was C:\DP\D (so no silly path Jeff  hahaha) which contained all main and 3rd party packs.  I ran the tool again only on the chipset pack and it finished fine.

It's possible that one of the 3rd party packs has a malformed section of an inf file(s). Probably a HWID with a equals sign in the line. The main packs scan perfectly fine. I'll try out the third party ones at some point.

Can you pinpoint which of the 3rd party this is happening to? Thanks for the sleuthing!

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-03 05:36:14)

3rd party modems is the only 3rd party I could get it to bonk on.  I was planning on raising you one, I ran my scan tool agains modems and searched for = but found a HUUUUUUUUGE amount.  I was hoping to point you to one or two, HA!  Not sure if it's just how I do it, but a zillion of the buggers showed up.

Ian

I saw that too. Its with DP_Modem_wnt5_x86-32_90128.

From what I can tell it's doing it from this file \D\3\M\S\1\mdmhamrw.inf for a Smart Link SmartModem...

There are brackets in a commented out section that's making it freak. I don't know if I'll be able to edit the function to steer away from that as the Regular Expression checks for the next start bracket to end it's scanning of lines.

But it's a simple fix to the inf file. And you don't break any signing or anything crucial.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-03 06:34:39)

smile

So an update to the pack is all that is needed, excellent.  Chalk up one more thing to run against the packs then before making them final.  smile

Ian

I put a request in to fix it in the main 3rd party drivers download thread.

Hi

I'm writing a tool in C#, which should read all HWIDs from an Inf File.
It's possible to get your SourceCode from the Tool ListHWIDs?

I think you made this read-out with regular expressions?

Thanks for your reply

Hi Doody,

My program is called FindHWIDS. However, I do not use regular expression to find the HWIDS. Mainly because of how the INF files are created and the ability to filter what your looking for.

You might find RogueSpears tool helpful in the regular expression area, which IS called ListHWIDS.vbs, located here http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=3148 . He hasn't updated it in a while and it's essentially broken.

Though, I don't know if I feel comfortable giving my code away to a non-regular. What are you looking to use the code for?

Also, for anyone interested, I'm going to be adding code to check for HWID strings that might have a continuance of hwids using the backslash symbol inline. Documentation says that it'd be a backslash and line feed (@LF), the next line will be a comma then one (or more seperated by comma's) hwids.

Last edited by stamandster (2009-03-10 04:51:24)

Hi Kickarse

Thank you for the link. This helped me for my own code. So I don't use your code.

I am coding a tool for my enterprise to update drivers ond windows xp machines. I searched a while for a tool, which can update drivers. I only found tools, which can do this for a single pc and then always an internet connection is required.

I actually ask Microsoft, if they provide a tool which can update drivers in an enterpirse environment, but they don't have a tool.
So i do this on my own.

An other question, which is your prefered component to install drivers?
I know this components (Devcon, DPinst, DifxApi) but I don't have experience with installing drives.

Greets Doody

Hi Doody,

Honestly the easiest way to do it is described here...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic. … 585#p29585

3.f is out!