Topic: CLSID for Windows Media Player 11

Can anyone find the proper CLSID for Media Player 11???   I have been searching for AGES and can NOT find it.  What I'm doing is making a little AutoIt script that will run at GUIRunOnce to set some registry settings for me, and I want to block WMP11 from being on the desktop.  Can ANYONE find the bloody thing???  big_smile

Thanks

Ian

Re: CLSID for Windows Media Player 11

I use this registry setting to block the creation of a WMP11 shortcut after Sysprep:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}]
"StubPath"=-
"HideStubPath"="rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\wmp11.inf,PerUserStub"

Thanks a lot for the speedy response.  It turns out that I did have the correct CLSID but my method was wrong.  I have your guidelines put in to AutoIt, now I just need the time to test it!  smile  An update will follow.....

Ian

Hmm, maybe it was how I scripted it, but no-go, the shortcut was still there.  My AutoIt commands to pull this off:

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "StubPath")

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "HideStubPath")

;both done just to clear the way incase they exist

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "StubPath", "REG_SZ", "")

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "HideStubPath", "REG_SZ", "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\wmp11.inf,PerUserStub")

Does that look right?  Maybe the AutoIt wiz Jeff can see if that's right  smile

Thanks

Ian

llewxam wrote:

Hmm, maybe it was how I scripted it, but no-go, the shortcut was still there.  My AutoIt commands to pull this off:

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "StubPath")

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "HideStubPath")

;both done just to clear the way incase they exist

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "StubPath", "REG_SZ", "")

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}", "HideStubPath", "REG_SZ", "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINDOWS\INF\wmp11.inf,PerUserStub")

Does that look right?  Maybe the AutoIt wiz Jeff can see if that's right  smile

Thanks

Ian

I do coding in AutoIt as well. I'm not as good as Jeff is, though.  Any way, your AutoIt code looks correct.

http://d1syubgj0w3cyv.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/5ocSdUxUxrK5g8rfTm7_39bPWgBMWiteXNH4McROrNw/perpetual:forever/userbar/mainteam-1.png

Thanks bud, much appreciated.
Oh well, there's gotta be another way!  smile  Time to go find it.

Ian

I recall seeing something online stating that this fix doesn't work on Windows XP SP3 (I am using SP2). That might be the problem.

Ahh, and indeed I do have SP3 loaded.

Ian

Thanks for the most kind words...

Yes the code looks perfect...
Although you guys seem to have already discovered that the problem lies elsewhere wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Have you tried using Group Policy?

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Media Player -> Prevent Desktop Shortcut Creation

I wouldn't try to script it, but if you can set it in your image before sysprepping, it may work.