Topic: Vista-Tool 1.0

http://driverpacks.sytes.net/vistapacks/images/vtool.png

Vista-Tool 1.0 - 155,8 kB
Mirror#1
MD5:6185136B1D787B5B952E630A3FDD11C5
Credits : Jan

http://driverpacks.sytes.net/vistapacks/images/info.png
Note : All packs need to be extracted.
Example : D:/driversx86/   D:/driversx64/ dont mix x86 and x64.
Changelogs will be added soon.

Re: Vista-Tool 1.0

Hi muiz,

just 3 quick questions ... :-)

1. will we be able to slipstream future driverpacks into a wim image that already contains older driverpacks similar to the way it is being done with the DP base on WinXP ? Or do we have to start with a fresh image each time a new driverpack is being released ?

2. Why is it not possible to update all images in a wim simulationously ? Instead one has to choose the images one by one which takes a while with your basic Vista DVD because it contains so many vista editions. Is this planned for the future ?

3. When using a WDS server to distribute Vista images the network drivers have to be integrated into the boot.wim image in order for the WDS server to support booting the PE image over the network. Will you be able to do that in a future version of the Vista Tool ?

Thanks,
Alex

1: I never tried, but i think its better to slipstream again, otherwise its getting to big.

2: This is not possible.

3.I never used a WDS server, so realy dont know.

This tool works brilliantly for mounting and unmounting, thanks.

Hi muiz,

1. Well, it would be good if a new driverpack could be slipstreamed over an old version but of course this would only be a viable solution if the older drivers in the image are getting replaced. I guess thats not the case right now. Maybe in the future ?

2. Updating all images in a wim could be done by scripting the Vista tool, no ? Any plans for adding this ?

3. Well, all you would have to do to support a WDS server boot is slipstream the LAN drivers (only those are necessary) into the boot.wim image like this:

imagex /mountrw boot.wim 2 %mountpoint%
peimg.exe /inf= *.inf %mountpoint%

Are you doing the same for the install.wim I guess or are you using another way to slipstream the drivers into the install.wim image ? (just curious)

Have a happy new year !
Alex

Last edited by midiboy (2008-12-31 20:06:09)

Slipping all versions at once, i dont think there are computers fast anough to do this tongue
And removing drivers will be possible with Windows7, i dont think this is possible with Vista.
And no its not the same as install.wim

Happy new year Alex;)

Hi Muiz,

sorry to be so annoying but would you mind sharing with me which commands the Vista Tool issues to integrate the drivers into the Vista images ? I would like to script the slipstreaming process. Thanks a lot !

Bye,
Alex

Its very simple. All the information your asking/looking for can be found here.

Driver Inject Commands

Hi Shahed,

thanks for this info, however, this guide only describes a semiautomated process. One has to manually create an unattend.xml in WSIM. The Vistatool does not seem to need this or am I mistaken ? Isn´t it possible to tell pkmgr to integrate all drivers below a certain folder without this xml ??

Sorry, maybe those are just dumb questions but I am used to doing this for injecting drivers into boot.wim and it works just fine:

for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%i in ('dir %DriversSource%\$WinPEDriver$\Network /s /b /a:d') do ("%WaikTools%\..\PETools\peimg.exe" /inf="%%i\*.inf" %Mount% )

Why the need for this xml when dealing with install.wim ??

Bye,
Alex

Hi again,

ok, I have this working now.

First I am setting the variables (which I am not posting here), then I am doing this:

REM CREATE INDEX FILE OF Install.wim
"%WaikTools%\imagex.exe" /info %WinImagex64% > "%AIWTempx64%\indexinstallwim.txt"

REM FIND OUT IMAGECOUNT OF INSTALL.WIM
for /f "tokens=3" %%a in ('find /I "Image Count" "%AIWTempx64%\indexinstallwim.txt"') do set ImageCountMax=%%a

REM START WITH INDEX1 for IMAGECOUNT
set Index=1

REM SET STARTPOINT FOR INDEX LOOP
:startindex64

REM MOUNT WINDOWS IMAGE (install.wim) WITH CERTAIN INDEXOUNT
"%WaikTools%\imagex" /mountrw %WinImagex64% %Index% %Mount%

REM INTEGRATE DRIVERPACKS
%pkgmgr% /o:%Mount%;%Mount%\Windows /n:%driversxmlx64%

REM UNMOUNT WINDOWS IMAGE (install.wim)
"%WaikTools%\imagex" /unmount /commit %Mount%

REM IF INDEX IS LESS THAN MAX.IMAGECOUNT THEN ADD 1 TO INDEX AND GO BACK TO LOOP START
if %Index% LSS %ImageCountMax% set /A Index=%Index%+1 & goto :startindex64

I am doing the same thing later on for the 32bit install.wim (the above was for the 64bit install.wim). That way, I am integrating all driverpacks into all images of an install.wim (takes a VERY long time).

However, two things remain:

1. Can you guys tell me how you get pkgmgr to show the driver integration process for each driver? If I use the Vista Tool, cmd windows pop up showing this process. In my case, this does not happen, I see that the image was mounted, then I don´t see anything for a very long time (while the drivers are integrated) and later on the image is unmounted.

2. The fact that the drivers.xml is static is not very cool. I would like the script to adapt to different driverpaths automatically (for instance if I am copying the whole Installation folder to another drive or PC, the script should still work). So I guess I´d have to adapt the driverpath in the xml programmatically. Not very nice but seems to be the only way. Has someone here done that before ?

Bye,
Alex

Last edited by midiboy (2009-01-04 06:13:49)

We leave the tool the way it is, we are using this for a very long time now, and it works perfect.

nice tool smile i look forward to testing it

muiz wrote:

We leave the tool the way it is, we are using this for a very long time now, and it works perfect.

Unless you have x64 and need to manually edit xml files, defeating the purpose of a GUI front end in the first place smile

Thats on the todo list for 2.0

I've got a general question: What about the driver signature problem? On an installed Vista / Server 2008 system you got a prompt everytime there is a unsigned driver for installing. And deactivating 4ever is not really possible. So is this problem also with a such modified DVD?

If you use Vista-tools to integrate drivers, you will not get any driver signature problem. The driver signature problem is not with a modified DVD. But if you used vlite to integrate drivers, then you will get driver signature problem.
Hope this helps..

shahed wrote:

If you use Vista-tools to integrate drivers, you will not get any driver signature problem. The driver signature problem is not with a modified DVD. But if you used vlite to integrate drivers, then you will get driver signature problem.
Hope this helps..

What does Vista-Tool do to circumvent the unsigned driver prompt?

Vista-tools uses the official Micrsosoft's WAIK to integrate drivers, and vlite uses some other method when integrating drivers. Thats why you dont get driver signature problem with vista-tools.

Hello everybody,

Which drivers can I add with Vista-tools? Only driver from your packs or Can I add all drivers I want? (For Vista64)

Thanks in advance,
Didier

Didier3001 wrote:

Hello everybody,

Which drivers can I add with Vista-tools? Only driver from your packs or Can I add all drivers I want? (For Vista64)

Thanks in advance,
Didier

You can also add your own drivers as well. Just use vista-tools, and point vista-tools to your drivers folder.

REMEMBER, vista-tools does not support folder names with spaces.

eg,
C:\My Drivers = Wont Work
C:\MyDrivers = Will work

Yep, or just pick the ones from the packs that you need.

Great work guys! Just wish Vista-Tools has a cooler name wink

kickarse wrote:

Great work guys! Just wish Vista-Tools has a cooler name wink

Why? in my opinion the name doesnt realy matter, but who am i?

Hi Guys,

Any chance this app can work with Vista Enterprise Edition.

I have tried to slipstream drivers into Vista Enterprise and it doesn't seem to work.

I have successsfully slipstreamed drivers into Vista Business so I think I understand the process ok.

I noticed in the readme for the tool that you need to select your image:

1 = Vista BUSINESS
2 = Vista HOMEBASIC
3 = Vista HOMEPRENIUM
4 = Vista ULTIMATE
5 = Vista HOMEBASIC N
6 = Vista BUSINNES N
7 = Vista STARTER
8 = ??
9 = ??

Vista Enterprise doesn't exist. Will it ever?

jfrankli wrote:

Hi Guys,

Any chance this app can work with Vista Enterprise Edition.

I have tried to slipstream drivers into Vista Enterprise and it doesn't seem to work.

I have successsfully slipstreamed drivers into Vista Business so I think I understand the process ok.

I noticed in the readme for the tool that you need to select your image:

1 = Vista BUSINESS
2 = Vista HOMEBASIC
3 = Vista HOMEPRENIUM
4 = Vista ULTIMATE
5 = Vista HOMEBASIC N
6 = Vista BUSINNES N
7 = Vista STARTER
8 = ??
9 = ??

Vista Enterprise doesn't exist. Will it ever?

Use Vlite to consolidate your wim to one instance and you can then just select "1". Or perhaps that's already the case? What does your folder directory look like inside your install.wim?