Topic: Do you have to run DPsFnshr.exe for driverpacks to work?

I've done some searching through the forums but I'm having problems finding a clear answer on exactly what DPsFnshr.exe does in the overall process of integrating driverpacks into a Universal Image.

My understanding is that it basically removes the driverpacks and all the files on the root of the c:\ driverpacks uses to make itself work when the first person logs in.

If one was to not run ROE.exe (which calls DPsFnshr.exe) when building an image would there be any adverse affects beyond having these files left on the hard drive?  The reason I ask is we're using Driverpacks in our corporate enviroment and on occasion DPsFnshr gets hung up when trying to delete the various files on the root of C: and generates a brief error users see when they first login.  It doesn't happen on all stations, but it does happen enough to be an annoyance.  And when that happens our helpdesk gets a phone call about the error.

If I could eliminate this step from Universal Imaging Guide skinlayers documented and use a rd and del commands to remove the same files and directories via Altiris once the computer reaches the OS I know that would work consistently, and even if it didn't, the end users wouldn't know since it wouldn't generate an error they'd see.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by djstewy (2008-11-15 04:25:11)

Re: Do you have to run DPsFnshr.exe for driverpacks to work?

the finisher is much more important than just a file delete... other wise we would just do a RD wink

what the finisher does is documented everywhere... and is beyond the scope of a single post.

an example of things the finisher might do would be the ATI control panel or AC audio control, which are optional, not all of the things the finisher deals with are optional.

Some drivers will not be fully installed / functional if the finisher doesn't run...

if you choose not to run the finisher it will eventualy bite you in the ...

the finisher is the heart of DriverPacks

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

Thanks for the info.  So here is another question then.  A lot of our imaging is done on end user computers and after the imaging is started we walk away and have them login after a couple hours so they can start using their PC.

Problem is that when they login Finisher wants to install the hardware that it couldn't do during the sysprep setup stage.  Our end users don't have access to install hardware so it just errors out and prompts for credentials that do.  Is there anyway to work around this limitation short of providing our users with hardware installation privledges (which we can't do)?

Derek

set autologon in the registry
set the logon count to 1
use an account specifically permissioned to install in your environment. (custom account)

call the DriverPacks Finisher
remove / overwrite the registry entries (for security)
call shutdown -r -t 30

i could think of more but that is simple and effective wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

You can't set autologon previous to running Sysprep and have it work after. It won't translate to the "new" machine. Although you can autologon with a local account with the sysprep.inf settings.

Last edited by stamandster (2008-11-20 05:50:30)

RUN AS could be used too wink