Topic: Various problems with latest wnt5_x86-32

It was written "Anything that doesn't fit somewhere else, can be posted in this forum!". Well, it actually could fix everywhere, so I've chosen to post that here!

Using the latest driverpacks, the driverupdater from jaws has been used under a fresh install of Windows XP.

What I didn't expect was this wasn't 100% silent; during the install:
- a screen appeared, about CPU install, and I had to press next because the install was stalled;
- immediately after that, a screen telling "roolback has been done" and I had to click finish;
- in the minutes following this, I had to press another button, this time about sound driver.

(I'm not exactly sure what these windows were all about, but if you people want me to I could reinstall Windows, install drivers again and take pictures of what I'm talking about.

It's not the required-user-interaction part of the process that annoyed me, it's that, after the tool told me I could restart the system: I've did, but upon startup an error about the NVIDIA control panel always shows up (see uploaded picture).

Secondly, the NVIDIA control panel is not accessible neither from tray, neither from start menu programs, neither a NVIDIA entry exists in the program files folder, but graphic driver seem to be installed fine.

Thirdly (and similarly), the Creative Audio Console (i.e. control panel) is not accessible neither from tray, neither from start menu programs, and neither there is a Creative folder in program files, but the sound works. Note that prior to install, the onboard audio in the BIOS has been disabled.

Thing is, with access to the Audio Console you are able to change the mode from "game" (default) to "entertainment," which is great when you do stuff like watching movies.

I've rared together a screenshot, the HWIDs.txt and another log file, from c:\windows\: http://www.MegaShare.com/513126

this is all for now, but I'll stay near and watch the topic from day to day if you guys want more input from me. like I said, this might be of help to you in diagnosing the issues that I post screenshots of what happens during the install.

thanks guy, these driverpacks look really awesome...

Re: Various problems with latest wnt5_x86-32

Did you try to integrate DriverPacks into your windows install CD/DVD?  Or did you just try to run them after windows was installed?

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

They have not been integrated.

One of the first things I did upon fresh Windows XP installation was to download driverpacks, verified so the checksums matched, and installed them with the tool I've mentionned.

P.S.: I've ran tool again (with CPU driverpacks) and have been able to reproduce the two first mentionned popups:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6218/bugreport2hd5.jpg

EDIT: I didn't expect was this wouldn't be silent, but during the install:
- a screen appeared, about CPU install, and I had to press finish because the install was stalled;
- immediately after that, a second screen (identical to the first one) appeared and I had to click finish;

- to reproduce the third popup, I'd likely have to reinstall Windows (I could). If I remember correctly, the third popup, which happened in the minutes following the two others, was about sound installation.

EDIT2: the only yellow exclamation marks to be found in the device manager seem not to be about sound or video, but rather "system devices," and are illustrated in the picture inside the rar archive posted in the first post.

EDIT3: here is a third picture, showing the driver contents of the add/remove programs page.

Last edited by twipley (2008-10-27 09:55:04)

Sounds like a problem with the tool you used.  It looks like the tool uses dpinst.exe, but I don't know what switches are being used.  I've had success using /c /s /sh (console logging, silent, scan hardware).
BTW, if you had integrated DriverPacks, our S.A.D tool (which uses dpinst like I mentioned) would have done all this for you.
Otherwise, post this problem in the thread you mentioned above.  Maybe the creator of the tool you used will help.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

I don't know. That's just plain weird, because I'd have sworn to successfully have installed drivers for the same hardware using the same tool and almost same official, i.e. non third party, driverpacks.

And now that doesn't work, and just to be sure I've tried by recreating my system partition anew, installed Windows, and re-downloaded driverpacks and driver updater (just to be sure), but it the was same as in first try.

But just for the fun of it I've took another computer (my laptop), reinstalled Windows, given it the same driverpacks and tool, and everything went fine, neither is there anything weird in the device manager.

Maybe I have hallucinated having used that driver updater tool in the past!

I'll try to see if jaws has anything to say on the subject...

if you choose to use a third party tool always post in that thread...

DriverPacks works (nearly) every time... and doesn't stop for user input at all...

the best thing for you to do is to use DriverPacks "disc" method to integrate your drivers into your source.
(drivers first install)
the next best thing for you to do is to use the Stand Alone Drivers (SAD) feature of base.
(software first install)

you might also have used warm snows app and not jaws app...

The best solution is always to use the tools we provide directly - when you have a choice...

The entire point of jaws tool is to stop for user input (something we do not support)
His idea was " It would be nice to be able to Skip some of the packs for certain machines "
we disagree with this idea because our philosophy is to "Unattendedly Provide All Drivers all the time"

Personally i belive more time is lost waiting for user input or missing a driver (because you really did need that one you skipped) than would ever be gained by skipping a pack wink

If we ever add attended setup support - then this type of tool may be added - we don't yet support attended setup.

you may also have noticed in the three months it has been posted his thread has only had two posts that are not the team or him and one of those two is you... wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

1) the best thing for you to do is to use DriverPacks "disc" method to integrate your drivers into your source.
(drivers first install)

2) the next best thing for you to do is to use the Stand Alone Drivers (SAD) feature of base.
(software first install)

While I try Warm Snow, you think you can dig me out the two other links? e.g. I've fell on the SAD topic earlier, but this all was a bag of nonsense to me (I'm no techie), I mean, there was way to much written!

I just want a simple program which I can bring to my friends' homes via CD with driverpacks and help them... and I really don't understand why this hasn't worked on me, maybe someone with the same CPU as me can try to install CPU driverpacks with jaws' tool to further investigate the source of the problem?

Furthermore, some things I don't understand:
- is it normal, that in device manager I have these chipset exclamation marks (see picture); I wonder because I know the SM Bus controller written by NVIDIA doesn't really offer extra performance over native drivers
- is it normal, that the only drivers listed in Add/Remove programs are the ones shown in the picture?

I've started this topic today because of the need I feel to "investigate the source of the problem," because I'm pretty sure having installed the same drivers, under the same conditions, for the same hardware, with the same tool, and in a successful manner, in the past.

My feeling is that it's only a small factor at the cause of the problem!

And if the topic for jaws' tool has been stickied for that time, if it was so screwed by that time someone would already have replied, wouldn't it?

Peace out,
I'm tired.

EDIT: lol, at least that's not the fault of jaws' problem! because Warm snow's did exact same thing.
what can the source of the problem be?! it must be coming from me...

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eega8.jpg

weird thing is that it isn't coming from my Windows CD or from driverpacks (as the exact same, even under the same circumstances worked on my laptop), and now it's not coming from jaws' tool either! weird stuff...

lol @overflow: "as i said i think you're the first one that has ever used it"
that's what I thought, but let me tell you this is one nice piece of a program! smile

Last edited by twipley (2008-10-27 12:00:06)

And if the topic for jaws' tool has been stickied for that time, if it was so screwed by that time someone would already have replied, wouldn't it?

only if someone used it... wink
- as i said i think youre the first one other than him that has used it wink
at least that is the way it appears.... but people only post when they have an issue...

so either it is perfect... or no one uses it...

Perhaps now you can see why it is so important to report EITHER WAY.
It may even be More important to post that it worked than to post that it did not!
(IE if we had a hundred posts saying it worked... we would not be guessing right now would we?)

we still have a few bugs in the SAD we are ironing out...
but if you check  http://driverpacks.net  and look at the second artical  base 8.09 
it includes the SAD (Stand Alone Drivers) platform
- I think i am going to rename this SoFI (pronounced like the girls name)  So_ftware F_irst I_nstaller

you can try that version for now... it should work just fine
as i said we have a few changes to address but if you have an issue or are interested in testing i can get the latest version to you... once i write it... it is in process...  big_smile

but let me tell you this is one nice piece of a program!

around here, we are up to our knees in really sharp people like jaws... wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Okay, I've just reinstalled Windows with another Windows CD, but the problem really seems to be my PC because every other PC I try that on, and to my mind in the same circumstances, succeeds with drivers and everything! And every Windows installation I do on my PC (that were working a few months ago) now fails on automatic driver installation.

Otherwise my PC works great, it's just the drivers that doesn't get installed correctly...

I've compiled all the five pictures, the HWIDs and the log file.
In case you wanna check that out: http://tinyurl.com/bugreport

When I get the time I'll do a memtest but I doubt that's the problem.

does it only happen with jaws' app?

no, and that's the other thing! smile

EDIT: it really seems to be none other fault than my PC!
strange thing is the exact same installation worked months ago.

- same hardware
- same Windows
- same driverpacks
- same tool used

- jaws/snow tool produces the same effect.

Last edited by twipley (2008-10-28 11:47:24)

clear out your system CMOS and reset.

if you mean by that resetting the BIOS, it's already done.

did you check your heatsinks and fans - reseat cards and ram... thumb cables ect...

I don't know if I've got the knowledge to do that -- except reseating the hardware, of course!

In the meanwhile, I've tested installing with different Windows XP versions -- all worked fine, except driverpacks (snow/jaws).

I've also tested on VMWare! as you may already know, VMWare installs with the same CPU as the host, so I've just ran the CPU driverpack inside the guest using snow/jaws, but the same error happened! wow.

When I get some extra time, I'll try to reformat and see if drivers install well (this time, without driverpacks). Well, if that's the case I'll just have to stop using driverpacks for some time, but h*ll I can always recommend them to friends! :)

I've subscribed to this topic so if somebody write something here in the future I should be informed. Also, if I ever open my PC case and add/remove some piece of hardware that makes it working, I'll be sure to report it back here

thanks for the help people, it almost did it!

did you ever try using the DriverPacks - IE not useing jaws/snow

you may find that if you use the DriverPacks that it works quite well ...

( As near as i can figure you have not used DriverPacks yet )

nope.

God, it's good to have drivers working once and for all.

I've tried with BASE (nice program, btw), and driver installation successfully worked. That's good for me! smile

so if you would have taken my advise from my first response above...
"
DriverPacks works (nearly) every time... and doesn't stop for user input at all...

the best thing for you to do is to use DriverPacks "disc" method to integrate your drivers into your source.
"

we could have resolved this the first day you posted? ... wink big_smile LOL

Glad you finaly got there - and have now discovered why we get a million downloads a month.

And why all these intelligent guys want to write addons for our software...
remember the addons are not supported - we simply enjoy haveing quality people share thier ideas.

perhaps you have learned something -
always try something out right out of the box
before you rip it apart to see how it ticks !