Topic: driverpacks and winnt32.exe to setup a network ghost

I have successfully created a DVD using driverpacks and Dell OEM CD w/SP3 slipstreamed. I used nlite to create the DVD. It woorks great.
It install all drivers on my test Dell GX260 which are not normally installed. Now I would like to create a version that can work by installing onto a temporary second hard drive then removing the second hard drive and installing it into a new machine, probably different hardware, and letting it do the install. I can get this to work fine w/o driverpacks but using install method 1 or 2 does not install any drivers just the bare OS. The command I am using from run is e:\i386\winnt32.exe /tempdrive:d /syspart:d /makelocalsource /noreboot. This runs from the slipstreamed DVD including driverpacks and set up drive D which is then removed and installed into another machine as the primary drive. It then continues the install perfectly except no driverpacks are installed. I have made a combination of the winnt.sif from the slipstreamed DVD and the winnt32 command which is listed below. This is copied to the hard drive before moving it to the new machine. It seems to work as it does not ask me any of the typical questions.
The idea of this whole process is to creat a ghost image of the secondary hard drive which can be ghosted over the network to any machine to install Windows XP SP3 with driverpacks.
; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]
msdosinitiated="1"
floppyless="1"
AutoPartition="0"
InstallDir="\WINDOWS"
uniqueid="C:\WINDOWS\FCD"
OriSrc="E:\"
OriTyp="5"

AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[SystemRestore]
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk=10
RestorePointLife=60

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=035
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]

[UserData]
ProductKey="key deleted"
ComputerName=DELL
FullName="OWNER"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1,17
Language= "0409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="WORKGROUP"

Thanks for any help.
Sincerely,
Ed Daniels

Re: driverpacks and winnt32.exe to setup a network ghost

This can be done two ways with the new version of base (check our home page)

You will need a copy of base 8.10.RCx and use the DP_Install_tool.cmd script in the OEM folder
call it from runonce or guirunonce that should put you over the top...
this is the SAD or Stand alone drivers feature that is now coinstalled with the DriverPacks
or you could use the DriverPacks BASE to create a SAD folder
Either use that from a network share, or include it with the image and delete after it's used..

Your method is not currently supported - at least not directly...
IE we support setup.exe for disk method not setup32.exe...
the win32 setup will always fail for method 2 (since setup.ex_ is never called wink)

but method one will work, as long as you don't need all the packs.
M1 will only make the first 4096 charachters of the drivers paths available

hope that helps

thanks for the excellent details!... and welcome aboard

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

make that three ways... i just thought of another... wink let me know if you have trouble with SAD
the third method is more involved and we won't go there if not needed...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Thanks for the response. I am going to play with the SAD today. I am confused about versions though. I have base 8.05 which is the only version available from the driverpacks download. I can find a 8.09RC1 from a link in the third party section but I don't see an 8.10 version anywhere. Where is the OEM directory. Is that after I run base. I do not see any such directory beforehand. Could you please provide a direct link to the download for driverpacks base 8.10. Thanks.

OverFlow wrote:

Your method is not currently supported - at least not directly...
IE we support setup.exe for disk method not setup32.exe...
the win32 setup will always fail for method 2 (since setup.ex_ is never called )

but method one will work, as long as you don't need all the packs.
M1 will only make the first 4096 charachters of the drivers paths available

I don't know what you mean for method 2. I run winnt32.exe not setup32. For method 1 it did compress the drivers for 1 hour 29 minutes and I did get a message that it was too long. I continued anyway but it did not install any drivers and gave no indication that driverpacks did anything. I don't even think winnt32.exe copied the drivers over. Do I have to do that seperately? Can I look at the hard drive before moving it to a new machine to see if the drivers have been copied and what do I look for?
Thanks for a great resource. I will be making a donation from the top donate link as soon as I get some funds in my paypal account. This has already saved a lot of time hunting for drivers and I can only assume more savings in the future.

Thank you...
It is always nice to be appreciated
it is equally nice to get such good detail in a first post
and then there are your excellent follow up questions.

Our latest and greatest stuff is always posted on the home page wink tongue
8.10.RCx is a Release Candidate...
Until this morning it was the first Post now it is the second wink

When you ran base you had two choices for Method.
Method two REQUIRES setup.exe and you dont use that, so it won't work... wink
(As you already know, but now you know why.)
Method One should work however, you must relocate the $OEM$ folder to the I386 folder...
(this is documented around here in a couple of places, so i won't elaborate here.)
if you didn't adjust the location of the folder it would not have been found... wink
- your right winnt32 did not copy them, because they were lost ... lol

if you have staged your image correctly for m1 (if you use  QSC = Yes  then it wont take 90 min on subsequent runs)
you will have a systemdrive\D\ folder with the drivers in it...

Hint,
choose "custom" for the finisher when you do your install
- DON'T run the finisher (it deletes the driverpacks)
- when you sysprep add the runonce or guirunonce command for the finisher
    (that way the drivers will be available for use at the destination machine at deployment
     and then the finisher will delete them after they are used on the target)

the down side to an m1 solution it's a little bigger at 550MB, and the 4096 path limit.
the up side is speed since the drivers are ready to go (no extraction neccessary)

SAD on the other hand is only a 330mb footprint on your image (Useing M2 - which will work for you with SAD)
Extracting itself to the target machine, updateing local devices, and then removeing itself)
note: SAD doesn't need to be part of your image... you cna just call it at the time of deployment from a location of your chooseing

I must be an idiot because I still can't find the 8.10. The homepage I assume you are referring to is http://driverpacks.net. The second post I see is:

DriverPacks BASE 8.09.rc1 - We need your comments, Please!
Posted on 2008-09-21 08:42:39 by OverFlow

This look like 8.09.rc1 not 8.10.rcx.
If I do a find in IE on the homepage for 8.10 I find talk about it but no link to actually download it.
Are we talking about different homepages?
Thanks.

the only difference between 8.9 and 8.10 is language updates for non english big_smile ;P

LOL I so forgot about that... I am very sorry... my sincere apology

here is the 8.10 link http://dev.driverpacks.thesneaky.com/dr … 810rc3.exe

Yeah it was that other home page - that is my story and i am sticking to it...
so if anybody asks... wink

I have had no luck in getting this to work from the hard drive useing mode 2 as described in the first post.
I followed scottb instructions for a network install even though the files are actually locally. Directions came from this thread: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=227
I guess to get this to work I have to redo the whole thing and understand what is actually going on. I can simply uncompress all the drivers and put them in a directory off the root lets call it c:\dpacks. then in presetup.com I can just do the last few steps:

rem presetup.com
\bin\DevPath.exe \dpacks\D
START \dpacks\DSPdsblr.exe
EXIT

I need to understand what is going on here and how the drivers actually end up getting installed.
Why does the devpath.exe just get run and dspdsblr.exe need the start command?

presetup will never run from winnt32  wink so you cant use M2

ONLY M1 will work wink for an unattended drivers first install

OR... SAD
(with sad you can select m2 - sad does not use presetup.cmd wink)
(the technical term for this is a software first install :-)
however we can use SAD in an unnattended way...
We call it from a runonceex or guirunonce call

like In Example:

1) assuming the \DriverPacks.net\ (SAD) folder was copied to the local machine (M1 or M2)

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 1 /D "cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\DriverPacks.net\DP_Install_Tool.cmd"

2) Or a network location (if you have created a Method 2 (M2) SAD only)

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG ADD %KEY%\996 /V 1 /D "cmd /c start /wait \\MyServer\ShareName\DriverPacks.net\DP_Install_Tool.cmd"

or   

there is a better topic than the one you were looking at over here...
http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?pid=19811

OT:
Hey Jaak i just thought of a better name than SAD
I now Like the Acronym SoFI (pronounced Sofie)
Software First Installer