Re: New PC parts on the way!

or he could use the button marked "pause" on the keyboard and not mess with the bios???

but then he wouldn't be haveing any fun rubbing it in would he wink

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!
http://driverpacks.net/userbar/admin-1.png
The DriverPacks, the DP_Base program, and Support Forum are FREE!.

mr_smartepants wrote:

Fired it up for the first time this morning.
Used the standard Antec Tri-cool fans set to low.  Didn't load anything, HDD isn't connected yet, just played around in the BIOS making sure everything was set correctly.

Wow this thing is quiet!  I have quieter fans in a box (Yate Loon & Scythe) but I don't know if I'll need them.  The 8800GTS fan cranks up to maximum on power-up, then fades into nothingness.
And the CPU temp...That can't possibly be correct. hmm
The BIOS is reporting idle CPU temp as 29C which is about 85F (ambient is 19C/68F).  That's too low!
Of course, that was in the BIOS, load testing will come later. big_smile

So, what is the progress, does it kick butt, it sounds as if it should.
We need to know, we need hardware food !!!

Any problems with Vista 64 drivers for printers etc.

Stu

I'm bringing it to work with me today.  I'll load Vista/drivers and post results.
I'll also post the pictures today when I get home from work.

Read BEFORE you post.  HWID tool   DriverPacks Tutorial   DONATE!
Not all heroes wear capes, some wear Kevlar!

Wow, this thing is quick & quiet!
It installed Vista x64, booting from the DVD to sitting at the desktop in under 15 minutes!
Installing SP1 took longer, 30 minutes and 3 restarts.

During the next few hours of playing with it (sorry, no benchmarks yet), the system temp never exceeded 100F (CPU temp was reported as 31C/88F which is odd).

I'm going to try using the M$ WAIK to integrate SP1 into a secondary build, to create my own SP1 integrated DVD.

Last edited by mr_smartepants (2008-03-05 17:15:32)

sounds like a an OEM SP1 disk is a must have...

DP BartPE Tutorial   DP_BASE Tutorial   HWID's Tool     Read BEFORE you post    UserBars!

Pictures (1024x768 png-24 1.5Mb each):
Parts
Heatsink
mounted 1
mounted 2

More to follow.

with that cooler, the CPU temps hit 88c??

You might want to double check how the cooler is mounted, that temp is way too high.  It's kind of easy to only have three of four pushpins in place.

88F.. approx 30C

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

That heatsink could cool my house !!!

15 minutes to desktop, that's impressive.

It is likely the CPU temp is lower that the System as all the heat is being sucked off the CPU and the North/South bridge chips plus the memory and hard drive are all throwing heat into the Case itself, 100f is not bad. When you can boils the water for a cuppa then it's hot.

Nice PC, how about a pic of the case ??

Enjoy.

Stu

Newposter, these huge monsters include a support backing plate which is put under the motherboard (because the mobo would flex too much if one did not stiffen it), and a mounting frame is bolted to this. Then fix the heatsink to the mounting frame. These things are close to one Kilogram.

thanks for the correct words smile

Last edited by Jaak (2008-03-06 00:42:40)

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

The original Intel pushpin LGA775 heatsink design is still used by some of the biggest heatsink makers.  Not everyone has gone to a backing plate and bolts method.

I've seen them get unfixed during transport. All was fine when machine was built and during burnin tests.
Ran hot when they got it running at home. Some people don't follow advice on how to transport and the machine was left wedged upright and then got shaken pretty hard. The pushpins wear.
I believe the design specs mention max weight. I know they specify maximum stress to mobo, and the mobo itself has to follow the design too.. It HAS to bend.
I would not use these tall and heavy monsters with pushpins. The stress to mobo during transport is directly related to the weight and tallness, and inertia in transport can cause extreme forces to the fixing points.
The manufactors of heatsinks mention this in their manuals..
Most people don't RTFM, tho. Thank goodness this no longer kills the CPU.

The answer was 42?
Kind regards, Jaak.

Vista64 installed w/SP1.  This thing flies!  Who wants what benchmarks?
The heatsink is huge, but all of the weight is near the base.  I'm not too happy with the mounting push-pins.  The last one was a bitch to set.

Oh, and I built my SP1 integrated ISO with the ultimate extras built in using the winbeta.org instructions.  That was painful and time consuming.

Jaak wrote:

I believe the design specs mention max weight. I know they specify maximum stress to mobo, and the mobo itself has to follow the design too.. It HAS to bend.

Yes, I believe the Intel Design Guide specifies around 460g of max weight for the cooler.

Part of the reason why I didn't get the full-copper model but the copper/aluminium one (it's a Zalman and not nearly as spectacular as Erik's, hence no pics wink).
Anyway, I didn't move my case that often afterwards so I really could have got the heavier one.
Really only matters during transportation (LAN party anyone), and then you best lay it flat on the right side (some folks apparently dismount their coolers - well I certainly don't feel like reappling thermal paste each and every time).

Anyway, the problem with the specification is that it only mentions the weight but does not specify how far it may extend from the ZIF socket.
Obviously it does matter wheter it is close to the center or extended by some 30 cm...

That thing portraited in the pic is so huge I'd probably try to fix it to the opposing case side just to be sure wink

Anyway, I believe I saw its bigger borther at CeBIT (need to go through my pics, maybe it did take one of it...) big_smile

i like the case side support idea wink
and then the case itself could become part of the heat sink, hee hee

OverFlow wrote:

and then the case itself could become part of the heat sink, hee hee

Well, it sort of is, already.

Unless you go for one of these butt-ugly (did I mention they almost had a full hall of those at CeBIT? At least they got cut down from two and a half halls last year...) cheapo plastic cases that look closer to a kid's Transformers toy than a serious PC part, a nice metal case (aluminium preferred but even steel will do its job) does help cooling down the "environment" (air) temperature inside the case.
Which is precisely why putting noise dampening mats on the inside of your case is a bad idea.
Firstly, you are using them to silence your fans, and secondly, you will need even more fan power because they insulate the case so well that heat builds up...

Anyway, yes, it would be a great idea of those heat pipes were directly leading to the case where they would be provided perfect contact with the surface.
Of course, the case temp would rise a bit then (you could then attach some nice "Only touch with gloves" sticker on it wink).
I think, this is how it's done with these fan-less industrial PCs that have cooling fins on the sides of the case.
Also tend to get a little hot there (maybe 40-50°C), but nothing that really burns your fingers immideatly.

there are some cpu coolers that run the heat pipes outside the case via one of the PCI card cutouts.

First post updated. 
Maxed the RAM to 8GB smile
Got my ASUS Xonar sound card smile
Killed my Plextor DVD-DL sad